Vaccination/Immunization

Have questions about children's health issues? Ask here - chances are someone's been through it already.

Moderator: Just Jennifer

Vaccination/Immunization

Postby Just Jennifer » Sun Dec 08, 2002 22:31

Originally posted 04/23/02 08:33:43 PM
Name: Jennifer

Loaded the Vaccination Schedule at http://mytaipeibaby.tripod.com/vax.htm This is a very rough draft, as I don't like the table format and will edit it later. Intend to also add the suggested vax schedule from the US for reference, so you can compare if you want to, as well as helpful links to info on the vax debate and tips from other moms on comforting baby, etc.

It's the same one from the back of the Baby Book. No news on whether or not the book or coverage info is available in English. I emailed them via their site at http://www.nhi.gov.tw but no reply yet. Will try to follow up later tonight.

Jennifer

PS Posted this twice in case someone misses the first one in reply to Susan's question on baby book.
Just Jennifer
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 1846 times
Has gotten kudos: 320 times

Originally posted: 04/29/02 04:17:54 PM
Name: Alicia

thanks jennifer, this is very helpful
Just Jennifer
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Originally osted: 05/14/02 03:10:18 PM
Name: Blythe

This is great, thank you. I look forward to seeing the rest of the info. you mentioned.
Just Jennifer
Taiwanease Aristocracy

vaccine tragedy

Postby Ma Ling-su » Sun Dec 15, 2002 07:41

If the misadministering of a vaccine to a newborns is outrageous enough, you have the incredible response from the DOH. According to the TT, the nurse's license will be revoked and the hospital director will be fined NT$30,000 to $40,000. 6 babies nearly died and one did. The same night a mother also died after giving birth because the medical staff was attending to the first tragedy. The hospital director will get off with a slap on the wrist. unbelieveable. :x

* [url=http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2002/11/30/185318]Panel to probe fatal hospital baby mix-up, says DOH
[/url]* [url=http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2002/12/01/185459]Injection victims recovering, say hospital officials
[/url]
I guess it goes with out saying that i will be reading and recording the labels of any drug/vaccine that is given to my child.
Ma Ling-su
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 0 time
Has gotten kudos: 0 time

Postby Anonymous » Mon Dec 16, 2002 19:38

Terrible. Someone mentioned it at Segue about a week ago. I guess everyone knows now to stay away from that hospital! Note also that these babies and the woman who died had to be transferred to other hospitals.

This also reminds me that I should keep better records of the medication my kids get. I usually keep all the printed slips that come with prescriptions but sometimes I lose track of them, I think you have to request it at some places. I think when your doctor gives you a prescription, they should provide a carbon copy--one for the pharmacy and one for parents to keep and file away.

Jennifer
Anonymous

Postby Ma Ling-su » Fri Dec 20, 2002 15:38

Actually, most clinics and small hospitals (including Chung Shan) don't have NICUs so babies have to be transferred to a bigger hospital if there are complications.
Ma Ling-su
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby Just Jennifer » Fri Dec 20, 2002 19:27

Thanks for pointing that out, I'd forgotten that about Chung Shan. What hospital(s) does a baby get transferred to if there are complications (Chung Shan)?

Jennifer

PS Whatever happened about the woman who died? Her condition was one that really couldn't be predicted or prevented (most women don't make it) from what little I've read.
Just Jennifer
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Postby Ma Ling-su » Sat Dec 21, 2002 05:29

it's up to the parents what hospital the baby goes to, or if the baby is moved at all, but it's usually Cathay which is "just" down the street. (i put just in quotes because how close it is, is relative to what condition you may be in after just having a baby.)

The woman was said to have died from amniotic fluid embolism which does have a high maternal mortality rate (~80%). However i bet i'm not the only one who's a bit skeptical about this dx.
Ma Ling-su
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby Just Jennifer » Sat Dec 21, 2002 18:17

Really!? You mean it's possible they're just covering their butts????!!!! Possible they made it up????

Jennifer
Just Jennifer
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Hepatitis B vaccine

Postby Anonymous » Sun Apr 27, 2003 18:22

In the US, Thimerisol is no longer found in the vaccine. Just wondering if anyone knows about here in Taiwan.
Anonymous

Postby tigsie » Thu May 01, 2003 15:52

Sorry to be ignorant, but what is thimerisol?

We have to give our daughter her hep B vaccinations, so would like to know more about it.

Thanks.
tigsie
Taiwanease Gentry

vaccinations

Postby angie » Sun Oct 26, 2003 00:13

Hi all,

Ok, I know I have lots of questions to ask you guys but it's my first and for some reason I'd rather hear it from "real" moms then from a book. :P
So new question...whats the deal with vaccinations? I just assumed you had no choice and just took the reccommended vax. Whats the controversy all about? Isnt it safer to have your child vaccinated? How do you all feel about it?

Angie
angie
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 4 times
Has gotten kudos: 15 times

Postby Anonymous » Thu Oct 30, 2003 08:03

Very controversial topic. I used to think the same thing, Angie. It wasn't until just about 5 years ago that I became aware I actually had a choice. There's just so much stuff out there it's easy to become overwhelmed by it all. I'll ask around for some *good* links and try to post here again.

For us, we've decided not to get the chicken pox vaccine for the girls and to try to expose them to it while they're young, if we can find someone of course, who *isn't* vaccinated.

There's another shot that I can't remember the name of, that doctors here seem to recommend for babies before they're a year old that we didn't get for the now-2.5-year old. She was already 9 months old, had never had a cold yet, and when I asked if we could postpone it until she was 12 months old (I can't remember why, maybe so it wouldn't be tken with another shot on the same day...) he said by then it would be too late and pointless by then.

I found that a little confusing. If she'd never been sick up until that time, was she likely to contract this virus in 3 months and be the one in a million (or whatever number) to die of it?

A friend who is a nurse in the states was recently sharing how she'd learned at a conference in the last month how vaccinations don't really give you immunity for a lifetime and that's why they've been finding many more college students and adults with childhood illnesses. Chix pox is supposedly one of those that is more dangerous as an adult.

Be aware that there is one shot (maybe two) that is administered here that is not common in the States... hepatitis.
Anonymous

vax

Postby angie » Thu Oct 30, 2003 17:16

Hey Jennifer,

Thanks again, I guess I should do some research on the net and see what I can find. Joseph has a 5 in 1 shot tomorrow, is that common? Well, i better do my homework!

Angie
angie
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 4 times
Has gotten kudos: 15 times

Next

Return to Children's Health