Gynecologists/Endocrinologists/Obstetricians

What is going to happen to me over the next nine months? What is it like to be pregnant in Taiwan? Pregnancy questions, birth stories and other topics relevant to this special time in your life.

Moderator: Just Jennifer

Gynecologists/Endocrinologists/Obstetricians

Postby Anonymous » Fri Jan 30, 2004 07:01

MODERATOR NOTE: The three categories of doctor have been merged for the time being for convenience, as the thread is relatively small. As it increases in size, we shall separate them. - jimipresley

Can anyone help? I am 5 months pregnant and looking for a good lady doctor in Taipei, someone who actually cares and can understand birth from Western point of view (ie. respect privacy, give patient time...) Any advice or recommendation would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Vanessa
ukl_vb@yahoo.com.tw
Anonymous

Postby Blythe » Sat Jan 31, 2004 16:53

Vanessa, I've already responded via email, but I wanted to post here in case anybody else is looking for the same kind of doctor, too.

I have only met my doctor, Bernice Chen at Zhongshan, once so far, but she is a very lovely person. She was willing to support all of our natural birth requests, and even seemed to be quite open-minded about the possibility that we might have our baby at home, rather than in the hospital. I cannot tell you how reassured and relieved I felt to have met her.

She also smiled a lot, was very laid-back, and had loving eyes. I know a lot of people only want a 'qualified' doctor (I do, too), but it's important to me to 'jive' with my birth attendant, and she so far fits my qualifications.
Blythe
mama to:
Jonas, Ada and baby Sadie born October 8!
Blythe
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 0 time
Has gotten kudos: 0 time

Postby angie » Tue Feb 10, 2004 16:48

Hi all,

i found a great site...midwives who do home/water births in taipei!! Unfortunately it is in Chinese but there must be one midwife who speaks English!! If you call them let me know how it goes because I am very interested for next time!!

http://www.twb1.idv.tw
angie
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 4 times
Has gotten kudos: 15 times

your experiences with doctors here...

Postby bonnie » Sat Mar 27, 2004 15:07

Hi Everyone, I'm new to pregnancy and am hoping some of you can share your experiences with your doctor here as I'm trying to figure out which doctor to go w/. I've only heard of a Dr. Monty Li, Dr. Bernice Chen and a Dr. Jean Chen at the ZhongShan hospital. Would appreciate any sort of comments you can give! Thanks all!
bonnie
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby Blythe » Tue Mar 30, 2004 18:50

I LOVE Bernice Chen at ZhongChan! She has a lovely, calm bedside manner and is very willing to work with specific alternative birth plans (within hospital reg's of course).
Blythe
mama to:
Blythe
Taiwanease Gentry

babydocs

Postby Marie » Wed Apr 07, 2004 20:11

I had Doctor Jean Chen. I liked how hands on she was and how she just kind of took charge on a lot of things. However she does tend to get her due dates wrong and she is a little cold at first. But I did like her after a while.
Marie
Marie
Taiwanease Gentry

Cheng Shin General Hospital - any recommendations?

Postby T J » Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:05

I have been to the Adventist Hospital and I have been to the PCC clinic attached to Chung Shan Hospital for my regular monthly ob/gyn visits, but I was wondering whether anyone has had experience of Cheng Hsin General Hospital in Shih Pai.

I went there yesterday as I got electrocuted and I didn't want to travel so far to the PCC (I live in Tianmu). I was really impressed with a Dr Suen there who spoke very good English and took a long time doing the scan and making sure that the fetus was OK.

So anyway, I am now thinking that perhaps Cheng Hsin might be a good alternative for the rest of my pregnancy and even giving birth. Has anyone had any experience of this hospital - either good or bad?

Thanks in advance!
T J
Taiwanease Gentry

Chen Hsin

Postby Anonymous » Mon Jun 14, 2004 13:31

I jusr wanted to let you know that Dr. Sun gave birth to my son, Damien, and I feel that the experience at Cheng Hsin was a good one. Hope this helps. Leah
Anonymous

Dr. Monty Li and Chung Shan

Postby Carolynwong » Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:09

I will be giving birth in late sept early oct. So far I have heard only good things about Dr. Li and interviewed 2 other doctors (one in Chung Shan and one at Adventist) before choosing him. I didn't really like Chung Shan hospital when i visited it and the doctor I met with said that I can't visit the women's ward/facilities either. Dr. Li practices out of Chung Shan, I just read the other scary posting on chung shan hospital.

As I have yet to find an English prenatal class, I do feel somewhat unprepared for this experience tho I am reading as much as I can. I just wanted to see who has had good and bad experiences with Dr. Monty Li and Chung Shan hospital. I guess I should be asking him who his midwife is and other people involved like anestheticians?
Carolynwong
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby Anonymous » Wed Jun 16, 2004 23:19

Carolyn,

I'd be willing to get together with you for coffee or you could call me. I'm at the southern end of the city so it would have to be somewhere central. Are you in Tianmu?

Yes, there are "scary" posts about Chung Shan, but trust me, not everyone's experience has been awful there. No one situation or hospital or doctor will be perfect for everyone. :-)

I can tell you that there are many women who have only good things to say about Monty Li but I am one of the few who just didn't click with him.

I might have come off as arrogant with him with my questions. I think I asked those questions respectfully, but I got a very strong sense that the questions and request to see the LDR room, etc were unwelcome. Then again, that was a few years ago so maybe things have changed.

Good luck and let me know if you'd like to talk some more. I have had very positive birth experiences so I want so much to help alleviate some of the fears that women have.

If my children weren't so young, I would like very much to be a doula.

Also, FYI, I've heard that there are a couple of women here who are considering offering doula services. I will share any information I receive.

Good luck,

Jennifer
Anonymous

Postby Blythe » Thu Jun 17, 2004 08:23

If I'm not mistaken, a woman I know had 2 very positive births there with a male Dr. Li. If you do decide to birth there, please keep us posted on your experience. The international community of women here will benefit from a variety of information on hospitals.
Blythe
mama to:
Blythe
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby Anonymous » Tue Jun 29, 2004 20:12

Hi,

please do not worry too much!

I gave birth at Chung Shan Hospital (Dr. Jean was my doctor - by the way, I highly recommend her! She is a very nice doctor, and takes her time to explain everything to you if you ask her).

Everything went very well - the midwifes and nurses were nice and helpful, for example they showed me how to breathe during labor (I had not had a birth-preparing class, too).
I also liked the pediatricians - our baby had some problems after birth, but treatment was really good and the doctors were caring and helpful.
The nurses were great, they did everything you asked them to - like helping me with breastfeeding or changing the baby' s clothes...
I think everything was clean there - maybe not brandnew but still very clean.

I just wanted to tell you that. You can have bad experiences in every hospital, I think. And if you read just the bad stuff, you will get scared a little... so here is my good experienceto cheer you up :-)

If you still have questoins, please feel free to ask.
Anonymous

Chung Shan

Postby Carolynwong » Tue Jul 27, 2004 08:37

Thanks!! our doctor will be aranging an on site visit soon, I guess knowing the surroundings will give me a mental image for the day itself...

Did you have epidural? how was the person administering that?
Carolynwong
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby Blythe » Wed Jul 28, 2004 09:58

Carolyn, I have never met Dr. Li, but I have to say that I have heard very good things about him from people who adore him, and it seems there are more of those people than ones who don't like him. I think that you have to go with your gut feeling about him. The people who didn't like him may not have 'clicked' with him, as Jennifer said. He is supposed to be very skilled and knowledgable. The negative things that I've heard about him have more to do with his bedside manner - apparently he comes off quite strong-armed, and there are people who want that in a doctor, just as there are people who prefer a doctor with a softer, gentler attitude.

Did you get my information about doulas? Have you found anyone yet? I'm sure having a third party there will help put your mind at ease. Your birth is going to go great, so try not to worry to much!
Blythe
mama to:
Blythe
Taiwanease Gentry

Doulas

Postby Carolynwong » Mon Aug 02, 2004 09:40

Hi Blythe, no I haven't found the doula's yet... could you send me their contacts at carolynwong@mac.com?

I've been doing some research on confinement ladies as well, I'd have that if I were still living in Singapore am still debating whether I should have one of those here, they are like chinese women who take care of you post birth with food, proper baths, baby tips etc.

Did you save your baby cord ?

c
Carolynwong
Taiwanease Gentry

Next

Return to Pregnancy & Childbirth