Pediatric Dentists

Have questions about children's health issues? Ask here - chances are someone's been through it already.

Moderator: Just Jennifer

Re: Pediatric Dentist/Cavities

Postby Melanie » Mon Jun 29, 2009 19:56

I took my 5yo daughter to Dr Tsai in Xinyi today, she was lovely, let me sit in the chair with Georgia first, and then after the x-ray explained what needed to be done in clear and simple terms. She then showed me how to floss Georgias teeth...I had no idea this needed to be done on a child! Am I the only one? Does anyone else out there floss their kids molars????

I do have a concern though, Georgia has a cavity and it would appear the best option is to excavate and then 'cap' the molar with a huge silver crown thing.....I am really shocked to think that this is necessary, even though it does seem to be common here, and there are kids at her school with silver teeth, which totally freaks me out. Ive never seen anything like it at home, and unfortunately just thought it was a lack of dental hygiene/flouride here.

Does anyone have any experience with fillings in their young children, I am really against the idea of the silver tooth, not to mention the trauma in 'the chair' for Georgia.

Thanks
Melanie
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 0 time
Has gotten kudos: 0 time

Re: Pediatric Dentist?

Postby angie » Mon Jun 29, 2009 20:07

My dear Alanna has had FOUR fillings! Pretty interesting as her brother has none.

Anyways, he very quickly and easily filled them in with some white filling and now they are not even noticable.

He did suggest that since she was so susceptible to cavities that once all her permenant teeth were in I have them all coated with some kind of protective varnish.
Taipei Doula Services http://www.beautifulbeginnings.com.tw
Certified Childbirth Educator, Certified Birth Doula

www.parentsplace.com.tw
An activity center for kids, parents and parents-to-be
angie
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 4 times
Has gotten kudos: 15 times

Postby Melanie » Mon Jun 29, 2009 20:33

Thanks Angie, I may have to make the trek out to your dentist for a 2nd opinion, coming home tonight I felt like getting on a plane with her rather than get the silver look.
Melanie
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby divea » Mon Jun 29, 2009 21:30

I do have a concern though, Georgia has a cavity and it would appear the best option is to excavate and then 'cap' the molar with a huge silver crown thing.....I am really shocked to think that this is necessary, even though it does seem to be common here, and there are kids at her school with silver teeth, which totally freaks me out. Ive never seen anything like it at home, and unfortunately just thought it was a lack of dental hyg

Mel,

I know your shock!! With both kids. Fortunately, M's teeth are fine now. They said they would have to cap a molar but it wasn't that deep. We don't floss her teeth yet but yes very particular about dental hygiene. My family back home thinks I am a freak, but they haven't seen the silver crowns around this place.

Meher has been seeing a dentist for nearly a year now, surprisingly no one mentioned fluoride tabs. Esp. Since K may have to undergo surgery.

I had gotten Meher's teeth filled with fluoride but fluoride supplements are ideal. Another Indian Dentist who I got acquainted with recently and she practices at Dr. Wells told me about them. We asked our hospital to prescribe fluoride tabs, and the docs did so (VERY) reluctantly. I am talking Adventist and Taipei Medical Univ. I know this doesn't solve your problem or even ease your pain, but atleast it is one step to prevent more tooth decay. Both your kids can take em. The bottle has 100 tabs and cost 400 NTD.

Just to give you some info, the Taipei medical University has a very good, ENGLISH speaking Dentist paediatric department. And it is in your backyard. They are very patient, let you hold the kid, talk to them. About the pain part, if G does not have to go through it, that is the best thing. But if she does,then they give a local anesthetic and even that doesn't hurt coz they apply a GEL before the shot. So you can't even feel the pin prick.....

Also just in case there is an emergency, the Taipei Medical Univ. has a Dental emergency too. Plus, the regular kids dentists are working till 9PM on Mon. and Thursday!!!

Good luck and take care
Divs

All will be fine.
divea
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 1317 times
Has gotten kudos: 705 times

Postby divea » Mon Jun 29, 2009 21:37

coming home tonight I felt like getting on a plane with her rather than get the silver look.

Hearing K's cries, I wanted to be on a plane too....alone. I just wanted to leave all the pain behind, not to mention the shame and the guilt of having a little tot with dental probs.

Thank God for this forum!!
divea
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Melanie » Mon Jun 29, 2009 21:38

Hi Divea, thanks for your kind words...I hope K is on the mend...I feel a Starbucks forum coming on.

We have fluoride tabs, but of course I'd forgotten about them over the last few months. Tonight however they came out in a blaze of glory.

I will def get more opinions.
see you soon,
Mel
Melanie
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby asiababy » Tue Jun 30, 2009 14:58

Melanie,

We floss our kids' teeth. Flossing is a really important part of good dental hygiene, as the food that gets stuck in the gums breaks down and decays in a short time after each meal. If you want a good lesson on flossing, my husband does a really good dental hygiene demo after a few drinks, when he gets set to impart the lessons he learned too late upon unsuspecting diners.
Visit my blog www.kidzone-tw.com, to find out about family-friendly events and spaces around Taiwan.
asiababy
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 1 time
Has gotten kudos: 70 times

Re: Pediatric Dentist - any recent experiences?

Postby Jake » Tue Jun 30, 2009 17:11

My 19-month boy had a front tooth knocked out today so we need to make an appointment with a pediatric dentist. At the ER they said the tooth came out cleanly, but I have some questions like whether the neighboring teeth will be adversely affected, if his speech development is going to be impacted by this, etc. I guess all kids lose their baby teeth eventually...I was hoping it wouldn't start for another 5-6 years. :cry:

So, any more advice/recommendations would be really appreciated by this poster. TIA.
Jake
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby Just Jennifer » Wed Jul 01, 2009 00:25

Jake wrote:My 19-month boy had a front tooth knocked out today so we need to make an appointment with a pediatric dentist. At the ER they said the tooth came out cleanly, but I have some questions like whether the neighboring teeth will be adversely affected, if his speech development is going to be impacted by this, etc. I guess all kids lose their baby teeth eventually...I was hoping it wouldn't start for another 5-6 years. :cry:

So, any more advice/recommendations would be really appreciated by this poster. TIA.

Oh no, poor little guy! I have an 8yo girl who lost a molar a couple of years early (according to the dentist). Xrays showed that the permanent tooth was pushing through but they couldn't be sure if it would grow in quickly or take as much as a year. He sent us to an orthodontist (his colleague happens to be one of our friends) who recommended a "space maintainer" for use at night.

J is old enough to put it on at night before bed and take it out in the morning but at D's age I wonder if it might require one that stays put for several years until his permanent teeth start growing in?

You're actually in luck here. I recently learned that one of the moms who visits here from time to time is a dentist. Maybe she'll chime in with the facts for you!

Also, I don't know if an ortho is necessary for a tot D's age but Dr. Chou's clinic is right by Guting Station if you want to visit. (They don't take NHI though)
Make magical, musical memories with your child at Kindermusik with Jennifer Joy
[url]http://www.fb.com/kmjoytaiwan[/url]
Just Jennifer
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 1846 times
Has gotten kudos: 320 times

Postby divea » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:07

Is there any baby floss thing available or do we go with regular floss???
divea
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Melanie » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:27

Think its just normal floss.

Katrina, think I will pass on your husbands demo!!! (unless I have had the same amount of drinks!)

I just rang our family dentist in NZ, and she said that yes in some cases they do silver caps on children there. She said the main cause of this sort of cavity could be grazing on food/snacks which doesnt give the teeth time re-coat themselves (but she had a technical term). Also she said snacking on fruit throughout the day is not great as fruit sugars are a big culprit in tooth decay. My kids snack on fruit from after school time right through to fruit for dessert after dinner.....oh dear.
Melanie
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby divea » Wed Jul 01, 2009 16:37

so no fruit grazing, no prolonged Breastfeeding, brushing, flossing 3 times a day.....I see Meher's clssmates, since they are in school for a good 10 hrs, I know theya re not grazing on anything and I am pretty sure most of them weaned before they were a year old (or 3 months is more like it) and the school makes them brush their teeth after every meal, so how come we still so many silver crowns in kids here??
divea
Taiwanease Deity

Postby asiababy » Wed Jul 01, 2009 16:58

Divea,

From talking to my husband's friends' wives, and chats with the dentist, a couple of reasons are:

1. Many go to bed with a bottle until a "later" age. Many of my friends use a bottle with their children up to as late as five years of age. If they wake in the middle of the night, they get a bottle. Formula (and milk) can do a lot of damage to teeth as it sits there, not brushed off. When I suggested they wipe their kids' teeth with a cloth, they were afraid the children would wake up. (I know a lovely couple. Their son is three and has had to have all his front teeth pulled out because they rotted to stumps. They knew why it happened but couldn't stop the bottle+no brush/wipe/rinse thing. That's a lot of hours each night for decay to set in.)

2. Local food tends to be cooked in oil and sugar. Together with the rice, this sticks between teeth very well. People also eat a lot of meat here. That also sticks between teeth, and starts to "rot" in a very short time. Snacks also stick in the teeth. It is a habit here to brush your teeth and wash your face as soon as you wake up, then eat breakfast. (I say a habit here, because I fought hard to change it in our house, but the family reply was, we all do it like this in Taiwan.)
Visit my blog www.kidzone-tw.com, to find out about family-friendly events and spaces around Taiwan.
asiababy
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 1 time
Has gotten kudos: 70 times

Postby Jake » Wed Jul 01, 2009 17:59

Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for the kind words and for relating your own story. We went to the clinic on top of the Gongguan Eslite today and the dentist (a Dr. He) confirmed what I had found out on the Internet: not much you can do for a baby tooth that has been knocked out; keep an eye on the neighboring teeth as discoloration (greying) could mean that those teeth have been impacted also; the knock may have also affected his permanent teeth, but we'll just have to wait and see... In a nutshell, she told us that it happened, it's over, and try to forget it. Poor D though as he had such a nice smile. His Granddad via video webchat thinks he looks like a little tough guy now.

If he (or his parents) are too worried about it in a few years, we might be able to fit him for a false tooth, but by then there will probably just be a few more years to go and we'll just let nature take its course.

My mom did speak with our dentist back home and he said all of the above (no permanent damage probably) and that it may be possible to replace the baby tooth within half an hour of it falling out so long as the clotting hasn't started. Perhaps something to keep in mind if this ever happens to anyone else's kid... HTH!
Jake
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby divea » Wed Jul 01, 2009 18:42

asiababy wrote:Divea,

It is a habit here to brush your teeth and wash your face as soon as you wake up, then eat breakfast. (I say a habit here, because I fought hard to change it in our house, but the family reply was, we all do it like this in Taiwan.)

hi Katrina,

Don't we all do it. I mean wake up, splash our face and brush our teeth. Grown ups have bed tea or coffee, but don't all kids brush on waking up?

At least we Indians do it too....I had no idea other cultures didn't do it!! So you brush after breakfast, so that the food doesn't stay between the teeth...makes sense. hmmmmm
divea
Taiwanease Deity

PreviousNext

Return to Children's Health