Childbirth at Shinguang Hospital, Shilin, Taipei

What is going to happen to me over the next nine months? What is it like to be pregnant in Taiwan? Pregnancy questions, birth stories and other topics relevant to this special time in your life.

Moderator: Just Jennifer

Childbirth at Shinguang Hospital, Shilin, Taipei

Postby beya » Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:58

I have been going to Shinguang hospital in Shilin and like the doctor and the care I got so far (I am 6 months pregnant).
Did anyone give birth there? What was your experience like? Who was your doctor?
Thx, Beya
beya
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 0 time
Has gotten kudos: 0 time

Postby Just Jennifer » Wed Feb 23, 2005 16:37

Hi Beya,

Hope you're feeling good these days.

I know at least two people who had babies there and they said they were happy with the care they received. One lady was a nurse from Canada.

Unfortunately, I don't know any of the details like doctors' names, and they have both relocated.
Make magical, musical memories with your child at Kindermusik with Jennifer Joy
[url]http://www.fb.com/kmjoytaiwan[/url]
Just Jennifer
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 1846 times
Has gotten kudos: 320 times

Postby Blythe » Wed Feb 23, 2005 19:21

Beya, I know a woman (a nurse, also) who had 2 of her babies with a Dr. Li (uncommon name, eh?) at Shin Guang. She was very satisfied, but with her nursing experience, said that the nurses weren't very 'professional' in her term. I wondered if it was related simply to cultural differences and expectations, plus she would look for certain things that the rest of us wouldn't, but I haven't gotten much detail on her experiences there. But she did report positive experiences overall.

ZhongShan's LDR rooms are very sweet. I think there are 2 of them and they definitely are first-come-first-served, but I get the impression that they aren't 1) popular and 2) well-known, so it may not be too hard to get into one when you check in.

Best of luck to you. :)
Blythe
mama to:
Jonas, Ada and baby Sadie born October 8!
Blythe
Taiwanease Gentry

Has gotten kudos: 0 time

Postby Brian » Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:53

My twins were born there. We picked it over Tai Da (the other hospital we were considering) for privacy (i.e. there are very specific visitation hours and the ward is blocked off).

My twins birth was an emergency one. Ian's umbilical cord detached and my wife had to undergo an emergency cessation at 34 weeks. Ian was born at an okay size (2.8kg) and only had to spend a week in NICU. Aidan was born too small (1.8kg) and spent 2 weeks in NICU, part of which was on a respirator.

What I liked:
1) My wife was well taken care of and the staff were well-trained.
2) Room privacy.

What I didn't like:
1) Our OBGYN (assigned by the hospital) didn't answer the hospital's emergency pages & calls.
2) Aidan was born with some issues that would require observation for awhile. After a few months we started taking him to Tai Da because there was more experience there (a larger medical staff and more patients means a wider variety of experiences to draw from).

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.
Brian
Taiwanease Gentry

Has gotten kudos: 1 time

Return to Pregnancy & Childbirth