Any experience with abdominal migraines in children?

Have questions about children's health issues? Ask here - chances are someone's been through it already.

Moderator: Just Jennifer

Any experience with abdominal migraines in children?

Postby Just Jennifer » Mon Mar 26, 2012 23:44

My poor 11 yo daughter has had health issues over the past 5+ weeks and after observing her more closely over the past week I think it may be abdominal migraines she is dealing with as suggested by Dr Tsai at Chung Shan. We are also trying to deal with some other minor issues but the migraines are the worst. Has anyone had any experience with this, either yourself or one of your children? Acetaminophen (1/2 an adult dose) has not helped. I have an ice pack on her forehead, a hot water bottle on her tummy, and it helps a little, enough to sleep, but she is miserable when she goes to school (doctors suggested we try to get her back to her normal routine as much as possible but it has been hard :cry: ) Thanks for any ideas.
Make magical, musical memories with your child at Kindermusik with Jennifer Joy
[url]http://www.fb.com/kmjoytaiwan[/url]
Just Jennifer
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 1846 times
Has gotten kudos: 320 times

Re: Any experience with abdominal migraines in children?

Postby Jos » Thu Mar 29, 2012 17:03

Hi Jen,

This is my first time to hear abdominal migraines, though I have frequent migraines since childhood and I do remember that I have abdominal pain and my parents thought it was "Peptic ulcer" and they gave me similar pain killer "gelusil in tablets". Yours a girl and mine a boy and recently also complaining abdominal pain and so I gave him "Gelusil liquid" for peptic ulcer.

I was thinking that we are always late for dinner and probably his not eating well at school like me in younger days. My son take it and after couple of minutes his fine.

Probably she's not eating on time for quite sometime and her stomach became too acidic.

Gelusil liquid and tablets can be found at cosmed or watson.

JOs
Jos
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 2 times
Has gotten kudos: 36 times

Postby Just Jennifer » Sun Apr 01, 2012 01:29

Jos, thanks for your reply!

She's seen a total of seven doctors, with follow ups with a few of them, and over two days she had blood tests, x-rays, abdominal sonogram and a CT scan. Everything looks clear but the doctors said we needed to do all of that first to rule out appendicitis, problems with her ovaries (she'll start menstruating soon), and other obvious problems. She's still dealing with headaches but she's had a few days of relief from them this week, not necessarily from the acetaminophen though. She feels like throwing up and has a tummy ache all day every day, and she says it just never goes away. We've discovered that eating crackers when she wakes up and before she gets out of bed seems to help her stomach settle a little bit.

The doctors have suggested Irritable Bowel Syndrome or stomach ulcers and those are the next two possibilities to explore when she goes to see a pediatric gastroenterologist followed by a neurologist to see if migraine meds are in order.

You mentioned that you started getting migraines yourself as a child. I experienced my first migraine (but without abdominal pain) when I was 14 and they started coming pretty regularly when I was a young adult. I still get them now, though not as frequently. I'm now down to maybe once every two months but they last a lot longer now, are more intense, and make me dizzy and weak.

Thanks for suggesting the Gelusil liquid and tablets, I will have her try it and see if it helps. I'm also considering Chinese medicine and have a friend who is a well-respected chiropractor and whom I trust.

Thankfully, she's usually in good spirits and has a healthy appetite.
Just Jennifer
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Postby Jos » Sun Apr 01, 2012 09:25

Jen,

I forgot to mentioned, I'm eating crackers too, toasted bread (almost burned) to eased my stomach pain. To be honest I know what was the cause why I'm having it till at this age, I'm not on time having my food sometimes I skip my breakfast to catch up the bus for work and my breakfast became brunch and so on and on till the next day it will come knocking me with pain. So now no matter how hectic my work schedule, I need to make sure that I have some crackers or candies or small packet of instant oatmeal in my bag to office. Probably you can also try making some porridge add some sweet potato (cut in small cubes). JOs
Jos
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 2 times
Has gotten kudos: 36 times

Postby Just Jennifer » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:44

Thanks Jos. It's good to know you do the same thing with toast/crackers. I'm going to try and have a packet of crackers in her lunch bag and backpack at all times.

We're pretty good about eating "on time" with few exceptions. The difference since she started school six years ago is that breakfast from Monday to Friday is at about 6:30 to 7:00 whereas on weekends it's more like 9:30. This stomach pain only started six weeks ago so I'm not sure it's related to her breakfast time but I'll read up on peptic ulcers to learn more about it.

Oh, and another thought I had is that it could be parasitic because she has a nasty, nasty nail biting habit. :cry: but all the doctors I mentioned it to said it's a very common childhood habit (I know that because I was a nail-biter too) and didn't seem at all concerned about it. :ponder:
Just Jennifer
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Return to Children's Health