Underweight child

Have questions about children's health issues? Ask here - chances are someone's been through it already.

Moderator: Just Jennifer

Re: Underweight child

Postby Big Vern » Wed Nov 29, 2017 20:00

I spoke to my dad (retired GP) about it and he politely told me to stop being a complete twat. It appears that 14.9 isn't even worrying for a 7 year old girl anyway. I have no idea who at my kid's school sent us a letter. I should have googled it before talking to him.

These users gave kudos to the author Big Vern for the post (total 3):
sandman (Sat Dec 02, 2017 15:37) • Toad (Wed Nov 29, 2017 20:59) • jimipresley (Wed Nov 29, 2017 20:11)
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 562 times
Has gotten kudos: 892 times

Postby Toad » Wed Nov 29, 2017 21:06

Icon wrote:But explain to me how come a kid turns down a hamburguer?! A grilled cheese sandwich! Heck, I have seen them turn down fried chicken!!! Their Mom is a great baker, they turn down brownies, for Gordon Ramsay's sake!

It could be they're just rather dull kids. :grin:

OTOH I can clearly remember being less-than-keen on melted cheese when I was a kid because (to me) it smelled like puke. That smell is butyric acid (the stuff Sea Shepherd used to throw at Japanese whalers) and it occurs naturally in various animal fats, especially dairy. It might be that kids are unusually sensitive to it, so that would explain the aversion to burgers and cheese sandwiches at least. Just a thought.

I have no idea who at my kid's school sent us a letter. I should have googled it before talking to him.

No doubt someone who subscribes to the view that a fat kid is a cute kid.
Toad
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 993 times
Has gotten kudos: 709 times

Postby Big Vern » Wed Nov 29, 2017 21:13

Toad wrote:
I have no idea who at my kid's school sent us a letter. I should have googled it before talking to him.

No doubt someone who subscribes to the view that a fat kid is a cute kid.

My wife says it was a standard school health check. Perhaps they're trying to copy the west and create an obesity epidemic. :ponder:
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 562 times
Has gotten kudos: 892 times

Postby sandman » Sat Dec 02, 2017 15:39

Big Vern wrote:I spoke to my dad (retired GP) about it and he politely told me to stop being a complete twat.

My dad's the same. Retired GP. He wasn't quite polite about it, but he got his message across. And he was right.

These users gave kudos to the author sandman for the post:
Big Vern (Sat Dec 02, 2017 16:55)
sandman
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 317 times
Has gotten kudos: 845 times

Previous

Return to Children's Health