Facepalms on Facebook

Welcome to the Open Forum - the discussion forum for topics that don't quite fit anywhere else. Fair warning: Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Flounder Forum.

Moderator: jimipresley

Re: Facepalms on Facebook

Postby jimipresley » Wed Feb 07, 2018 13:52

maoman wrote:
jimipresley wrote:
maoman wrote:I find that if I send a PM to the person, they usually are relieved to have someone to tell all to. They just don’t want to tell all in public, so they have to vague-book.

It's still attention-whoring. If I need a shoulder to cry on, I'll send you, Big Vern, Kal El or ThreadKiller a PM, rather than write garbage like "Oh, life is hard" or "Feeling terrible!"

That's you. I'm not going to deny a friend compassion just because they express their cries for help differently than I would.

That's fair enough, and I agree. One should always be compassionate. However, some "cries for help" are little more than "pay attention to me!" whining. :twocents:
Do you ever listen to yourself? - maoman

How clever of you to take an orange and a dog biscuit and build a time machine. - Bunks

Some countries cultivate vast populations of idiots for the purpose of maintaining sham democracies. - Toad
jimipresley
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 2526 times
Has gotten kudos: 1550 times

Postby sandman » Wed Feb 07, 2018 13:55

I have been having a FUCKING hard time. And I have derived a heap of succour via PMs. Phone calls, too, of course. Some of those PMs have come from YOU, Jimi. For which I truly thank you.

These users gave kudos to the author sandman for the post (total 2):
Just Jennifer (Fri Feb 09, 2018 00:55) • jimipresley (Wed Feb 07, 2018 13:56)
sandman
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 313 times
Has gotten kudos: 839 times

Postby Big Vern » Wed Feb 07, 2018 18:25

maoman wrote:
Big Vern wrote:This is an interesting take on attention seeking:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... ts-longing

I wonder about the cryptic cries for attention like "Feeling let down" or "Good riddance to bad people" without any explanation. Should I be responding to them? Whenever anyone does, usually with something along the lines of "U OK babe?", there's never any further discussion from the OP.

I find that if I send a PM to the person, they usually are relieved to have someone to tell all to. They just don’t want to tell all in public, so they have to vague-book.

Good point, but with the disclaimer that the relationship can be an issue. I don't really have any friends who post stuff like this, but I have a few Facebook friends who do.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 555 times
Has gotten kudos: 880 times

Postby jimipresley » Tue Mar 20, 2018 23:30

EARTHQUAKE!!!!

How clever of you to take an orange and a dog biscuit and build a time machine. - Bunks

Some countries cultivate vast populations of idiots for the purpose of maintaining sham democracies. - Toad
jimipresley
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Big Vern » Wed Mar 21, 2018 15:10

jimipresley wrote:EARTHQUAKE!!!!

I didn't feel it. My thoughts and prayers are with everyone though.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Postby jimipresley » Wed Mar 21, 2018 21:52

Big Vern wrote:

Physically, I didn't feel it, either. But the thoughts and prayers on Facebook jolted me emotionally.
Stay safe!

jimipresley
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Kal El » Thu Mar 22, 2018 00:00

jimipresley wrote:
Big Vern wrote:

Physically, I didn't feel it, either. But the thoughts and prayers on Facebook jolted me emotionally.
Stay safe!

It was a Southern one. I felt it on the ground floor for a minute.
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Heathen filth, the lot of you.
Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 1202 times
Has gotten kudos: 1141 times

Postby Big Vern » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:39

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... nload-quiz

I'm considering leaving Facebook. There are so many plonkers who download these retarded quizzes, and it's going to create too much of a stink if I target them individually. It's either that or simply accepting that some weird geeky billionaires are wanking all over me.

The people who comment on the quizzes and share any old crap they get sent seem quite normal when you meet them. It's very odd.

These users gave kudos to the author Big Vern for the post:
Just Jennifer (Tue Apr 10, 2018 15:28)
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Postby sandman » Tue Apr 10, 2018 15:38

The scroll button is your friend. That crap doesn't bother me at all. "Oh my GAWD! I just spent 2.7 seconds of my life ignoring some useless crap! My life is OVER!" I spent longer than that chatting to the shop lady where I buy my cigarettes.
sandman
Taiwanease Royalty

Postby Big Vern » Tue Apr 10, 2018 15:47

sandman wrote:The scroll button is your friend. That crap doesn't bother me at all. "Oh my GAWD! I just spent 2.7 seconds of my life ignoring some useless crap! My life is OVER!" I spent longer than that chatting to the shop lady where I buy my cigarettes.

The irritation isn't my issue. If idiotic posts bothered me I'd have left FB long ago. It's the fact that my personal data can be accessed when someone on my FB friend list activates one of these quizzes or similar data-gathering traps. :idunno: perhaps I'm being too precious, but my pride is a little stung by the idea that internet nerds are getting one over on me.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Postby sandman » Tue Apr 10, 2018 20:06

Big Vern wrote:
sandman wrote:The scroll button is your friend. That crap doesn't bother me at all. "Oh my GAWD! I just spent 2.7 seconds of my life ignoring some useless crap! My life is OVER!" I spent longer than that chatting to the shop lady where I buy my cigarettes.

The irritation isn't my issue. If idiotic posts bothered me I'd have left FB long ago. It's the fact that my personal data can be accessed when someone on my FB friend list activates one of these quizzes or similar data-gathering traps. :idunno: perhaps I'm being too precious, but my pride is a little stung by the idea that internet nerds are getting one over on me.

How are they getting one over on you?
sandman
Taiwanease Royalty

Postby Big Vern » Tue Apr 10, 2018 20:12

sandman wrote:
Big Vern wrote:

How are they getting one over on you?

They are taking information about me and using it to make lots of money.

These users gave kudos to the author Big Vern for the post:
Just Jennifer (Wed Apr 11, 2018 01:03)
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Kal El » Wed Apr 11, 2018 07:08

Big Vern wrote:They are taking information about me and using it to make lots of money.

Good luck with my info. From Krypton, living in Smallville, previously worked for Star Fleet, and graduated from Star Fleet Academy and the Vulcan Science Instritute. :roflmao:
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Big Vern » Wed Apr 11, 2018 18:29

Kal El wrote:
Big Vern wrote:They are taking information about me and using it to make lots of money.

Good luck with my info. From Krypton, living in Smallville, previously worked for Star Fleet, and graduated from Star Fleet Academy and the Vulcan Science Instritute. :roflmao:

Well, now the Man knows who you are. Good luck with finding a phone booth. In fact, that's probably why they've got rid of them.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Kal El » Wed Apr 11, 2018 23:11

Big Vern wrote:
Kal El wrote:

Well, now the Man knows who you are. Good luck with finding a phone booth. In fact, that's probably why they've got rid of them.

I use elevators and stairwells these days. So ... :idunno: Whatevs.
Sir Winston Churchill

Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

PreviousNext

Return to Open Forum