What do you think of the Indian restaurants here?

Taipei restaurants are some of the best in Asia - visit our forums to find out why (and where!)

Re: What do you think of the Indian restaurants here?

Postby sandman » Sat Dec 23, 2017 15:44

These users gave kudos to the author sandman for the post:
Big Vern (Sat Dec 23, 2017 16:28)
sandman
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 313 times
Has gotten kudos: 839 times

Postby Big Vern » Sat Dec 23, 2017 16:35

sandman wrote:I was taken to RAW. I'd never go back. Just not very nice and VERY expensive.

This is how I sold it to she who must be obeyed. It's a ridiculously expensive restaurant - what if it's also not very good and parents are involved? That swung it.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 555 times
Has gotten kudos: 880 times

Postby Toad » Sat Dec 23, 2017 23:11

jimipresley wrote:My motto is: Never got to a place that can't make better food than you.

That's my yardstick too. The place in Thailand was, like, damn, I couldn't do this if I worked at it for 100 years. Curry, now, I can make a damn good curry. We did an Asian theme at our restaurant anniversary buffet in November and I chipped in with karahi beef. The whole lot disappeared in 15 minutes: I should have made more. So I'm kinda picky at Indian restaurants. It really annoys me when the dish has clearly been "assembled" rather than cooked.

If I'm paying more than 1k for a plate of food, I expect at least a box of chocolates and a handjob, in addition.

Funnily enough we got free chocolates at the Thai place. No waitress under the table doing the other thing, sadly.
Toad
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 972 times
Has gotten kudos: 707 times

Postby Big Vern » Sun Dec 24, 2017 00:14

Toad wrote:
jimipresley wrote:My motto is: Never got to a place that can't make better food than you.

That's my yardstick too.

Obviously people are not going to willingly eat out if they can get better at home (easy cunnilingus gags). The trade-off is how much better the food is relative to the price. A lot of people are ace cooks, but I doubt that many of them are as good as someone who does it every day as a job. They might be - but the odds are unlikely.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Postby jimipresley » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:35

Big Vern wrote:A lot of people are ace cooks, but I doubt that many of them are as good as someone who does it every day as a job. They might be - but the odds are unlikely.

Mate, take a look at Gordon Ramsey's "Kitchen Nightmares". The vast majority of chefs are uneducated charlatans, or at best, working stiffs going through the motions. I could give you some fascinating anecdotes.
I consider myself a reasonably good cook, but I don't make rich people food. I don't enjoy haute cuisine; a spoonful of fancy crap with a flower on top does not rock my boat.

To get back on topic: I can honestly say that I haven't been to a single "Indian" restaurant in Taiwan that makes better curry than me. And I'm not being arrogant. Sometimes it's convenient. You don't want to cook. You want to relax and take the wife out or whatever.
I won't mention specifics, because I wouldn't want to sully the reputation of certain restaurateurs, but I've been behind the scenes of a few and witnessed first-hand their procedure of defrosting and microwaving. Most of them don't even have actual "chefs". It's basically just normal people with entrepreneurial aspirations taking a couple of mommy's recipes and looking "exotic".
Do you ever listen to yourself? - maoman

How clever of you to take an orange and a dog biscuit and build a time machine. - Bunks

Some countries cultivate vast populations of idiots for the purpose of maintaining sham democracies. - Toad
jimipresley
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 2526 times
Has gotten kudos: 1550 times

Postby cfimages » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:44

jimipresley wrote:
Big Vern wrote:A lot of people are ace cooks, but I doubt that many of them are as good as someone who does it every day as a job. They might be - but the odds are unlikely.

Mate, take a look at Gordon Ramsey's "Kitchen Nightmares". The vast majority of chefs are uneducated charlatans, or at best, working stiffs going through the motions. I could give you some fascinating anecdotes.
I consider myself a reasonably good cook, but I don't make rich people food. I don't enjoy haute cuisine; a spoonful of fancy crap with a flower on top does not rock my boat.

To get back on topic: I can honestly say that I haven't been to a single "Indian" restaurant in Taiwan that makes better curry than me. And I'm not being arrogant. Sometimes it's convenient. You don't want to cook. You want to relax and take the wife out or whatever.

That's reasonable. I could say the same. Other than social events like curry night, the only time we go to Indian restaurants is if we're already out doing something and realise it's near dinner time, or I'm too lazy to cook.

Although I do like a good samosa and have never tried making those myself.
cfimages
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 696 times
Has gotten kudos: 915 times

Postby Big Vern » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:50

jimipresley wrote:

I won't mention specifics, because I wouldn't want to sully the reputation of certain restaurateurs, but I've been behind the scenes of a few and witnessed first-hand their procedure of defrosting and microwaving. Most of them don't even have actual "chefs". It's basically just normal people with entrepreneurial aspirations taking a couple of mommy's recipes and looking "exotic".

Where do you get your spices from? The problem I have is I can only get a bog standard Madras curry powder mix from Wellcome. Also, the coriander here is so weak in flavour you can hardly taste it.

Gordon Ramsay is so formulaic. Break the chef down then build them back up again sergeant major style claiming credit for the turn around. He's got rich off the back of it.

Oh, and that weird way he has of talking. I...want...you...to... I wonder whether he had a stutter when he was young. Could explain his bullying. Supposedly Marco Pierre White made him cry when he was a young chef and that's why they hate each other.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Postby cfimages » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:52

These users gave kudos to the author cfimages for the post:
Big Vern (Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:52)
cfimages
Taiwanease Royalty

Postby jimipresley » Sun Dec 24, 2017 13:16

cfimages wrote:Although I do like a good samosa and have never tried making those myself.

Bog easy to make, mate.

http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/indian-samosa-15348

How clever of you to take an orange and a dog biscuit and build a time machine. - Bunks

Some countries cultivate vast populations of idiots for the purpose of maintaining sham democracies. - Toad

These users gave kudos to the author jimipresley for the post:
cfimages (Sun Dec 24, 2017 14:15)
jimipresley
Taiwanease Deity

Postby jimipresley » Sun Dec 24, 2017 13:20

Big Vern wrote:
Gordon Ramsay is so formulaic. Break the chef down then build them back up again sergeant major style claiming credit for the turn around. He's got rich off the back of it.

Oh, and that weird way he has of talking. I...want...you...to... I wonder whether he had a stutter when he was young. Could explain his bullying. Supposedly Marco Pierre White made him cry when he was a young chef and that's why they hate each other.

That's a straw man, my friend. I didn't reference Ramsey himself, merely the so-called "chefs" that he encounters. :heart:

jimipresley
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Big Vern » Sun Dec 24, 2017 13:24

jimipresley wrote:
Big Vern wrote:

That's a straw man, my friend. I didn't reference Ramsey himself, merely the so-called "chefs" that he encounters. :heart:

Eh? I'm not arguing, just making an observation.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Big Vern » Sun Dec 24, 2017 13:30

In response to your post, JP, I totally agree. A lot of chefs are rubbish and people eat in restaurants at their peril. My mate used to work in restaurants and told me a story of how he was in the toilet washing his hands after taking a pee. The head chef walked out of a cubicle having taken a dump and said something along the lines of "you bother washing your hands?". This was a high class place.

Obviously, Ramsay's TV is entertainment so they're going to cherry pick the worst examples for his programmes. However, in general it is a very dodgy industry.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Postby cfimages » Sun Dec 24, 2017 14:21

I do remember one episode of Kitchen Nightmares I saw where the "chef" was a working holiday guy from Australia who'd actually gotten a job as a waiter or bartender, and then the owner threw him into the kitchen when the regular chef quit. When Ramsay asked the guy how long he'd been cooking, and got the answer "a week. I've been watching you on YouTube every night until 4am to try and learn things", Ramsay's approach changed to more of an encouraging, mentoring one. I think it's just the chefs who should know better but slack off and don't give a shit that Ramsay breaks down.
cfimages
Taiwanease Royalty

Postby Big Vern » Sun Dec 24, 2017 14:38

cfimages wrote:I do remember one episode of Kitchen Nightmares I saw where the "chef" was a working holiday guy from Australia who'd actually gotten a job as a waiter or bartender, and then the owner threw him into the kitchen when the regular chef quit. When Ramsay asked the guy how long he'd been cooking, and got the answer "a week. I've been watching you on YouTube every night until 4am to try and learn things", Ramsay's approach changed to more of an encouraging, mentoring one. I think it's just the chefs who should know better but slack off and don't give a shit that Ramsay breaks down.

The truth is probably somewhere in the middle. I'm pretty sure there are a lot of set up incidents on Ramsay's shows, just as there are on The Apprentice and all reality shows. I remember one where a chef cooked some daft surf and turf scallop and chorizo combination. Ramsay tried it and immediately ran outside to spit it out because the scallop was off. Bollocks. Clearly a complete set up.

Anyway, he's the favourite chef at Vern Towers. Every Sunday I cook a meal and we sit down to eat it in front of MasterChef (8pm StarWorld channel 96). It's good fun.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Postby cranky laowai » Sun Apr 15, 2018 22:35

Earlier this evening I tried an Indian place in Banqiao: Ma Sha La Indian Restaurant (瑪莎拉印度餐廳). The food was good. (Not so good was the ventilation system in the kitchen, so the dining area smelled kinda greasy; but supposedly that's going to be fixed this week.)

Main dishes come with nan and rice, so the prices are effectively less than they might appear (e.g., palek paneer NT$200).

Jiangzicui MRT station (blue line), exit 5 and then walk along the main road a couple of minutes.
476 Wenhua Road Sec. 2, Banqiao, Xinbei
(02) 2258-2575

The restaurant was full (on a Sunday evening), so reservations might be a good idea.

They also sell some spices and salt lamps, the latter of which are popular resting spots for the store's fat and sleepy cats.

This restaurant is related to an older one in Sanzhi, of all places (on the north coast, by Qianshui Wan).
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 165 times
Has gotten kudos: 471 times

PreviousNext

Return to Greater Taipei Restaurants, Bars, and Clubs