Water birth in Taiwan

What is going to happen to me over the next nine months? What is it like to be pregnant in Taiwan? Pregnancy questions, birth stories and other topics relevant to this special time in your life.

Moderator: Just Jennifer

Water birth in Taiwan

Postby itisasia » Tue Oct 15, 2013 23:28

I am looking for some information about water births in Taiwan. I am wanting to know about any experiences that anyone has had with it here. Also, what are the costs involved? Are any costs covered by National Health Insurance? Are there any places that have a facility that supplies everything needed, or will I need to supply my own birthing pool? How involved is the staff in the whole process? Any recommendations or warnings/things to avoid? Thanks for any information!
itisasia
Learning the ropes

Has given kudos: 0 time
Has gotten kudos: 0 time

Re: Water birth in Taiwan

Postby Just Jennifer » Wed Oct 16, 2013 02:34

Congratulations!

I am typing on my phone so it is not easy for me to look up and post relative links for you.

However, there IS a birth clinic here where can choose to have a water birth.

The clinic has had great reviews on this site.

My friend Angela Chang and co-mod here (when she is not helping mothers labor) is a doula and has all the info you need.

Please take your time going thru the forum and try searching for water birth, natural birth, home birth or similar. Feel free to post again with any follow up questions.
Make magical, musical memories with your child at Kindermusik with Jennifer Joy
[url]http://www.fb.com/kmjoytaiwan[/url]
Just Jennifer
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 1849 times
Has gotten kudos: 320 times

Postby itisasia » Wed Oct 16, 2013 13:13

Thanks!

I have gone through the forums and read the posts about the Xin Zhuang and I have an appointment with Dr. Hsu at the center on Zhong Zheng Lu. I have seen posts about women who have had water births, but their doctor's name was Dr. Li and possibly at a different location. However, I couldn't find much regarding clear costs and what is and is not covered by insurance. Plus some of the postings are a few years old, so I am not sure if there are any policy changes in effect, especially regarding water births. I have spoken to another doctor who has performed water births in Kaohsiung, but it seems like nothing is covered by insurance. But from postings I've read, there seems to be some contradictions to this.
itisasia
Learning the ropes

Postby angie » Wed Oct 16, 2013 19:59

The birth center in XinZhuang is the place to go for water births. Women used to go see Dr.Li but she has since retired and Dr. Hsu has taken over her practice.

Everything that is covered in a hospital by NHI is covered at the birth center. That means the birth is covered but you pay extra for a private room, 1200-2000 NT a night, which is cheaper than most hospitals and you pay for the LDR which is $600 an hour and caps at 20 hours per day. You can expect to pay between 10 000- 20 000 for the birth on average.

There are two LDRs, each equipped with a tub for birthing in, there are also birth balls and heating packs available.
Taipei Doula Services http://www.beautifulbeginnings.com.tw
Certified Childbirth Educator, Certified Birth Doula

www.parentsplace.com.tw
An activity center for kids, parents and parents-to-be
angie
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 4 times
Has gotten kudos: 15 times

Postby itisasia » Wed Oct 16, 2013 22:27

Thanks Angie! I am also wondering about your rates. Also, to clarify, all the prep work is done by the staff at the center and not by the family members? The doctor in KH had said that my husband would be the one to do the prep work and monitoring of the pool. But I think it is because the doctor is more of a "supervisor" for the birth and not that he actually "performs" the water birth procedure, hence the reason I would have to provide my own pool.
itisasia
Learning the ropes

Postby sunshine » Mon Jan 05, 2015 09:17

I was wondering if anyone has information about birth centers that are closer to Tainan? We currently live here and are hoping to find something closer. Thanks for the help!
sunshine
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 3 times

Postby Just Jennifer » Wed Jan 14, 2015 20:00

Sunshine, I only know if the Xinzhuang Center up north but my co-mod, and doula, Angie, might know of centers down south.
Make magical, musical memories with your child at Kindermusik with Jennifer Joy
[url]http://www.fb.com/kmjoytaiwan[/url]
Just Jennifer
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 1849 times
Has gotten kudos: 320 times

Return to Pregnancy & Childbirth