Tips for a new Auntie

What is going to happen to me over the next nine months? What is it like to be pregnant in Taiwan? Pregnancy questions, birth stories and other topics relevant to this special time in your life.

Moderator: Just Jennifer

Re: Tips for new moms to be

Postby Neila » Fri Sep 26, 2014 16:24

Icon wrote:Talking about frilly dresses, bought a couple in Gingguan and I am really trying to refrain from going bananas in that regard. But then there are these Korean and Japanese dresses that are way too cute.

I've been trying really hard to limit my cutesy baby purchases, but it's hard when you're having a girl! Frilly socks, fluffy dresses, there's just too much stuff. At least I've been stuck at work, so I haven't done too much shopping, but I'm starting my maternity leave on Monday, and it could get pretty dangerous for my bank account! :lol:
Neila
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 1 time
Has gotten kudos: 22 times

Postby Just Jennifer » Fri Sep 26, 2014 23:54

Love those bloomers. Icon, those are definitely a western thing, and all the ones I have seen here are imported.

How is your sister doing with the breast feeding? Did she try a pump? First baby is right that a baby's mouth is more efficient than a pump and is better at stimulating milk production. When it's hard to get a good latch, it helps to stuff as much of the breast into baby's mouth as possible. Hard with a tiny mouth and engorged breast and in my case, enormous nipple, but once baby is on, she can sort of help by using a finger to push more breast into baby's mouth. Does that make sense? And the La Leche League would definitely be a huge help. Good luck!
Make magical, musical memories with your child at Kindermusik with Jennifer Joy
[url]http://www.fb.com/kmjoytaiwan[/url]
Just Jennifer
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 1849 times
Has gotten kudos: 320 times

Postby Icon » Sat Sep 27, 2014 22:57

Just Jennifer wrote:Love those bloomers. Icon, those are definitely a western thing, and all the ones I have seen here are imported.

How is your sister doing with the breast feeding? Did she try a pump? First baby is right that a baby's mouth is more efficient than a pump and is better at stimulating milk production. When it's hard to get a good latch, it helps to stuff as much of the breast into baby's mouth as possible. Hard with a tiny mouth and engorged breast and in my case, enormous nipple, but once baby is on, she can sort of help by using a finger to push more breast into baby's mouth. Does that make sense? And the La Leche League would definitely be a huge help. Good luck!

Not good. she left it already. And she's got some sort of post partum depression. She is taking medication.

She says she's had it rough from the beginning, with the complications in utero and then the C section and then problems with teh birth. She compares with most people around her, family members, who had no trouble at all. Like my brother's wife, who just gave birth and it was natural and milking no problem. Sounds like my sister feels guilty because she cannot feed the kid. I told her to look for other moms, to share her experience. But she sounds pretty low. :sad:
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else
Icon
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 607 times
Has gotten kudos: 856 times

Tips for new moms to be

Postby Just Jennifer » Sun Sep 28, 2014 01:35

So sorry to hear that. There is no sense in beating oneself up over not bfeeding but I know that's easier said than done. To be honest I still feel guilt admitting I had similar issues while breastfeeding my first. I hope she she gets help for the depression! You are right that she needs to find other moms who have had similar challenges and to be honest, just being able to connect who other young moms, first-time moms, whatever the case may be, really helps!
Just Jennifer
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Postby Icon » Sun Sep 28, 2014 23:18

Dragonbones wrote:IIRC you can adjust the suction on a decent electric pump.

Doing a bit of research on umps I found this:

Winning Ideas In Contest On ‘How To Make The Breast Pump Not Suck’

An MIT challenge. Mmm, seems there are still frontiers to explore in this field. :lol:

Their concept: The “Mighty Mom” utility belt, is “a fashionable, discreet, hands-free wearable pump that automatically logs and analyzes your personal data.” Milk data, that is.

The concept, she explained, involves both hardware — the utility belt to hold pumping parts needed on the go — and software: It imagines a “smart” breast pump that would collect and track data and upload it to the cloud: milk volume, even fat and protein content as analyzed by infrared sensors.

Another one:

Compress Express: A breast pump that mimics the natural and age-old art of hand expression, instead of archaic vacuum technology that dominates the market. Inspired by the simplicity of blood pressure cuffs, this project’s gentle compression technology enables efficient milk expression and creates a discreetly wearable, virtually silent and hands-free breast pumping experience.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else

These users gave kudos to the author Icon for the post:
Just Jennifer (Mon Sep 29, 2014 01:23)
Icon
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Icon » Thu Oct 09, 2014 16:10

Well, sis is a bit better. In the meantime, my siblings have asked for kids pajamas and "one suits:, like this:

:grin: Love to get some of those printed here.

BTW, absolutely ridiculous prices in the ol country, like 30 USD each for what I pay 3 USD here. Went gaga over the weekend, shopping spree for my sister's kid:

ImageP_20141004_151345 by Bolita5, on Flickr

I know, I know, sizes are all over the place. But they do not know what size to tell me. Well, she'll wear them someday. Baby is 50 cms long -as per my sister's words- and weights 5 kilos -about my Bobby's size, then.

Oh, and they want me to get them those monitors for baby cribs. I am thinking night vision ones. Are there any motion activated?

These users gave kudos to the author Icon for the post:
Just Jennifer (Fri Oct 10, 2014 22:20)
Icon
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Dragonbones » Thu Oct 09, 2014 17:45

Icon wrote: :grin: Love to get some of those printed here.

It would be easiest and cheapest to get a blank (e.g. Dharma Trading) and fabric marker pens and do them manually. :twocents:
“To cook for the pleasure of it, to devote a portion of our leisure to it, is to declare our independence from the corporations seeking to organize our every waking moment into yet another occasion for consumption." --Michael Pollan
Dragonbones
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 536 times
Has gotten kudos: 1059 times

Postby Icon » Sat Oct 11, 2014 18:57

Sir, have you seen my handwriting?
Icon
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Icon » Sun Oct 26, 2014 17:07

I am an auntie again! I am an auntie for the third time this year!!!

:trio: :yay: :yeah: :runaway: :bravo:
Icon
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Dragonbones » Sun Oct 26, 2014 17:40

Congrats!!!
“To cook for the pleasure of it, to devote a portion of our leisure to it, is to declare our independence from the corporations seeking to organize our every waking moment into yet another occasion for consumption." --Michael Pollan
Dragonbones
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 536 times
Has gotten kudos: 1059 times

Postby Icon » Sun Oct 26, 2014 17:49

Dragonbones wrote:Congrats!!!

Yep, the waiting is over, the stork has delivered. Now comes the fun part...
Icon
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Just Jennifer » Tue Oct 28, 2014 02:30

Congratulations, auntie Icon!
Just Jennifer
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Postby Icon » Tue Oct 28, 2014 09:57

thank you, Jennifer and Dragonbones - who is about to get his too. :e11a:

Oh, my dearest second brother posted a two page manifest on Facebook, waxing lyrically about how wonderful it is to be a new parent, the miracle of life, thanking for God's blessings... really nauseous in its corniness. Ugh. Please note the man is an engineer, didn't know he had such eloquence in him. :sick:

And no pictures. :rant:
Icon
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Icon » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:28

Ok, so far, traditions have been upheld tightly in my family. My third brother -the one who carries my Dad's name, which is very old fashioned and literary and grandiose sounding- named his kid a nice modern name, with my Dad's name as second name. Guess how everyone calls him? This baby was just baptized last Saturday, never mind both parents are not even what I call Sunday Catholics. But anyways the highlight of the event was the whole pig that was slaughtered to feed the corresponding attendees.

My sister already had her baby girl's ears pierced, and she was baptized a few weeks ago, too. BTW, this same baby girl was already dropped by her dad.... off the bed. Seems my sister was getting ready to go out, and the baby was left in charge of daddy, who put her on the big bed. He turned around to tie his shoes.. kid was fussing around and rolled off the bed's edge. Since I also got an earful from the incident, I feel pity for him bearing the whole force of my sister's wrath. :grin: :orz: :bravo: Kid's all right, they are very resilient.. dunno about my brother in law, though. :lol:

One left and here's when the family unity will be tested. My second brother is not Catholic -as a matter of fact, he's a bit too devout Evangelical- let's see how my dad takes to it. I mean, they can still have a big party, with a piggy slaughtered, etc. Just no liquor.
Icon
Taiwanease Deity

Tips for new moms to be

Postby Just Jennifer » Mon Mar 02, 2015 23:52

I miss roast pig! Lechon is what we call it at home, iirc.

And I had no idea your family was Catholic! If you want to help as peacekeeper/peacemaker, remind your dad that it's the same God/Jesus/bible/resurrection and remind your brother that Jesus drank wine and turned water to wine. Ha!
Just Jennifer
Taiwanease Aristocracy

PreviousNext

Return to Pregnancy & Childbirth