Tips for a new Auntie

What is going to happen to me over the next nine months? What is it like to be pregnant in Taiwan? Pregnancy questions, birth stories and other topics relevant to this special time in your life.

Moderator: Just Jennifer

Re: Tips for new moms to be

Postby Icon » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:53

A lechon is much more delicious but I am afraid it would not feed a table. Last I heard there were like 60 member of the immediate family going... at least. For comparison purposes, when Grandpa Peng died, there were 15 rented buses, plus a myriad of private cars.

I was raised protestant, evangelical of the most puritan kind, and so did my second brother, which is the one that has this last child in this crop. His wife is from the same church, same making, so no conflict there... AFAIK. But there are always other influences.

My dad's wife's family is from a very conservative town, devout Catholics, the kind they do novenas, and elaborate nativity sets on Christmas rather than Christmas trees, which when removed must be in a special ceremony with lots of prayers and lots of cake/food. Their family is very tight and have parties at the drop of a hat. My Dad's and his wife are really cool yet the baptism thinghie is more of a tradition -excuse to party/get together, cough, cough- than religion itself. Dad himself doesn't drink, not a church goer, does not get upset for anything. But he likes to be contrary and if you tell him no liquor, he'll bring a bottle of beer just to say he did. His wife is more into the party details, cute cakes, big dishes, lots of people invited. Not having a big event will probably make her upset. So there is always pressure to conform. My brother lives in the same town now and goes to dad's place frequently -they usually have the 3 babies under their roof at least once a week. Maybe they will compromise, but I foresee hearing about this story in the months to come. Last phone call with Dad was 23 minutes long...on a workday... daytime fare. :facepalm:

But I guess it is a blessing that the biggest problem in the family is whether there will be a party or not.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else
Icon
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 627 times
Has gotten kudos: 856 times

Postby Just Jennifer » Tue Mar 03, 2015 16:09

Three babies visiting every week! Lucky grandparents!!

And icon, you know where I am from, right? Loads of Spanish influence so I grew up with the novenas and baptisms/christenings, fiestas, elaborate nativity scenes (no ceremony at packing way time though)'and 60-person barbecues, just because it's Friday :-) Oh yes, and the long funeral processions! Just think, we grew up on opposite sides of the world but have quite a bit in common. You need to meet me at the next happy hour.
Make magical, musical memories with your child at Kindermusik with Jennifer Joy
[url]http://www.fb.com/kmjoytaiwan[/url]

These users gave kudos to the author Just Jennifer for the post:
Icon (Tue Mar 03, 2015 16:24)
Just Jennifer
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 1851 times
Has gotten kudos: 323 times

Postby Icon » Tue Mar 03, 2015 16:28

:lol: Yep, we've met before but I did not introduce myself.

Funny, indeed, the Spanish did leave a deep culture trail, even in Taiwan.

Dunno about the lucky. During weekdays, they take care of my sister's kid -she's back at work. Dad is happy as can be, his wife takes every Wednesday off, she says, for her sanity. :grin:
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else

These users gave kudos to the author Icon for the post:
Just Jennifer (Tue Mar 03, 2015 17:16)
Icon
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Icon » Thu Mar 19, 2015 16:15

So I call and my second brother's baby was "presented at the temple", no party, and everyone is cool with it. Mmm, weird I think.

It happens that my stepmom is already fed up with taking care of all 3 kiddies. "If all 3 are here at the same time, I go crazy!" she told me. How crazy? A woman who does not like travelling is convincing my baby brother's GF so they can come here to the Far East... and leave my Dad in charge of babysitting. :lol:

Talking about that last GF, my baby bro says "it is OK if you don't come this year, but next year you have to come to the wedding.". :eek: More reproduction in the horizon, far horizon, but still... he is already looking to buy a house. :idunno:

Just Jennifer (Fri Mar 20, 2015 00:43)
Icon
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Just Jennifer » Fri Mar 20, 2015 00:52

Oh boy I feel for your stepmom. It's one thing to get to see your grand kids as often as you want, but another to be the babysitter while the moms go off to work! I'd happily care for one infant, but two or three wee ones at once would be insane!
Make magical, musical memories with your child at Kindermusik with Jennifer Joy
[url]http://www.fb.com/kmjoytaiwan[/url]
Just Jennifer
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 1851 times
Has gotten kudos: 323 times

Postby Icon » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:24

She only takes care of one permanently. The others come to visit frequently. :grin:

I mean, do the Math: 3 couples, that is 6 people, Dad and baby bro and his GF, 3 babies, the maid, herself...any occasional visits from aunties and uncles... dinner time must be a zoo. :lol:
Icon
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Dragonbones » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:36

Icon wrote:Dad and baby bro and his GF

Aww, baby bro has a GF already? That's cute.
“To cook for the pleasure of it, to devote a portion of our leisure to it, is to declare our independence from the corporations seeking to organize our every waking moment into yet another occasion for consumption." --Michael Pollan
Dragonbones
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 541 times
Has gotten kudos: 1062 times

Postby Icon » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:44

Dragonbones wrote:
Icon wrote:Dad and baby bro and his GF

Aww, baby bro has a GF already? That's cute.

Baby bro is about 25 years old. Normally, he changes GFs like changing shirts, but this one is the most serious I've heard of so far.

Just Jennifer (Sun Mar 22, 2015 00:14)
Icon
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Icon » Mon Apr 13, 2015 17:24

OK, babies are starting to teethe and eat normal food. I bought these:

One is a slip-proof plate, the other a popsicle mold for babies, all BPA free. Any other suggestions as useful stuff? I see too many things and if it was up to me it'd be a shipment container full of gadgets I'd send, but the important thing is that they might be useful.

Ideas? Suggestions?
Icon
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Icon » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:53

Question about size: both my sister and my brother's babies are "over size" in terms of length, not weight, as per their doctors. That is, they say, they are over the average size of babies their age. Is that good or bad or whatever? Anything to watch out for?

To be honest, my sister is smaller than me, both vertically and horizontally -think average Taiwanese but a bit more guitar shaped and curly haired. Her hubby is less than 1.80, which is my second brother's height. His wife is about my size, which is OKish. My brothers are all considered tall by our standards but no giants, I mean 1.80 something is common in our family... except our Dad. Both my Mom and Dad are the smallest in their families. So it seems the recessive genes skipped one generation.

We keep improving the gene pool. :cool:
Icon
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Dragonbones » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:23

Nothing wrong with being above or below average, in height IMO. Even in weight, as long as a (chubby) baby is within the 80th percentile for their height, I don't think there's cause for alarm, although if you're approaching that point you may want to ease back on feeding, and try to find out what other causes there might be for fussing and crying instead of reaching for the bottle (or breast) as a first response.
“To cook for the pleasure of it, to devote a portion of our leisure to it, is to declare our independence from the corporations seeking to organize our every waking moment into yet another occasion for consumption." --Michael Pollan
Dragonbones
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Icon » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:31

Dragonbones wrote:Nothing wrong with being above or below average, in height IMO. Even in weight, as long as a (chubby) baby is within the 80th percentile for their height, I don't think there's cause for alarm, although if you're approaching that point you may want to ease back on feeding, and try to find out what other causes there might be for fussing and crying instead of reaching for the bottle (or breast) as a first response.

Thank you. I was wondering about bone development, as I know tall people may have back problems and such. They are still in the crawling stage, bit of standing by my sister's kid. If they inherit our "flat foot", then there might be a problem.

Actually, my sister's kid is a fussy eater, won't eat much. takes two hours to feed her. One, two spoon fulls and that's that. My brother's baby eats everything and anything.
Icon
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Dragonbones » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:47

Icon wrote:Actually, my sister's kid is a fussy eater, won't eat much. takes two hours to feed her. One, two spoon fulls and that's that. My brother's baby eats everything and anything.

We've had the same trouble with Dragoncito, surprisingly. Perhaps we started him on solids too late (6+ mos, while continuing milk). We're trying very early with #2 (started at 3.5 months, also still on milk), so we'll see if that makes the difference. So far so good.
Dragonbones
Taiwanease Deity

Re: Tips for a new Auntie

Postby Icon » Thu Aug 18, 2016 23:20

An update with a bit of a concern: my third brother -the doctor- `s kid is almost two years old. I called him at home and talk to my brother`s wife because he is at work. She tells me the kid is really bright. He can upload pics in the cellphone, play music and watch Pepa the pig videos. :eek:

Anyone shares my concern? Should I say something or not? Most stuff I have found - ironically on thevweb- suggests kids that small should not be exposed to these electronic devices.
Icon
Taiwanease Deity

Re: Tips for a new Auntie

Postby Toad » Thu Aug 18, 2016 23:57

If bro is a doctor, and he doesn't see any problem there, I'm guessing there's not much you can do :idunno:

It's hard to say if this kind of thing is harmful per se. I would guess it's more a case of how much time he spends fiddling with his cellphone relative to time interacting with real organic beings. IMO, a kid shouldn't sit on his ass flicking a prehensile finger at a screen because that means he's not doing physical things like talking to people, falling out of trees and going to casualty, or kicking balls through the neighbour's window and running away. These things are what they used to call "character-building".

Also, when I was a kid, wasting your time playing with electronic games certainly wasn't considered a sign that you were smart. Somewhat the opposite. :grandpa:
Toad
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 1012 times
Has gotten kudos: 711 times

PreviousNext

Return to Pregnancy & Childbirth