Tips for a new Auntie

What is going to happen to me over the next nine months? What is it like to be pregnant in Taiwan? Pregnancy questions, birth stories and other topics relevant to this special time in your life.

Moderator: Just Jennifer

Re: Tips for a new Auntie

Postby flike » Fri Aug 19, 2016 05:34

Eh, screens (as in phone/tablet/pc) at 2 probably isn't fatal, and possibly it's good. After all, today's toddlers are going to be working with screens their entire lives, surely.

The bigger concern (to me) would be that the child's parents don't have their faces buried in screens during the kid's first 2 years. The first 2 years are very likely best spent concentrating on mom and dad's faces, as much as possible, and vice versa. So screens by kids aren't bad, but screen time by parents is probably really bad if the opportunity cost is ignoring the loving gaze of junior/princess.

:grandpa: :grandpa:
flike
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 104 times
Has gotten kudos: 57 times

Postby divea » Fri Aug 19, 2016 07:37

Nothing you say will change it. Parents do think a kid doing things on screens are bright. Also it's a great baby sitter. And it lets everyone concentrate on their screens. If a mom(or dad) intrinsically doesn't feel the need to talk/play/work with the kid, they 'll justify their choices. As a parent I know it's horrid but being an early childhood teacher, I know it is bad. A child uses his hands to learn, that's why there's play dough and sand and water and mom's keys and Tupperware lids and blocks and balls. All that slowly wanes once you give the kid a screen. But then again, methinks mom and dad know that and will be either defensive or bitter about your suggestion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Work is the curse of the drinking classes- Wilde

These users gave kudos to the author divea for the post (total 2):
Toad (Fri Aug 19, 2016 08:56) • jimipresley (Fri Aug 19, 2016 08:55)
divea
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 1317 times
Has gotten kudos: 705 times

Postby Big Vern » Fri Aug 19, 2016 07:53

divea wrote: But then again, methinks mom and dad know that and will be either defensive or bitter about your suggestion.

Yep. Unfortunately, offering unsolicited advice to parents is only a good idea if you enjoy fights. Everyone's an expert at child-rearing, which is why there are no dysfunctional people around.

I think the only thing Icon can do is ensure that she spends as much time as she can playing with the kid in a normal way.

These users gave kudos to the author Big Vern for the post:
jimipresley (Fri Aug 19, 2016 08:55)
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 564 times
Has gotten kudos: 913 times

Previous

Return to Pregnancy & Childbirth