Does rubbing Vicks Vaporub on a kid's feet prevent coughing?

Have questions about children's health issues? Ask here - chances are someone's been through it already.

Moderator: Just Jennifer

Re: Does rubbing Vicks Vaporub on a kid's feet prevent coughing?

Postby Icon » Fri Jan 29, 2016 23:48

Guys, talking about ducks, when you rub butter or sauce to caramelize, you are trapping the heat. Same with the rub ointment AND socks combo. Actually, I believe socks are the most important.

Then why you rub on the chest? It is not only the smell, but the pleasant warm sensation on the most congested area.

I use baby oil in winter instead of cream. It not only keeps my skin soft but I feel it helps in keeping warm, or so it feels.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else
Icon
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 619 times
Has gotten kudos: 856 times

Postby TainanCowboy » Sat Jan 30, 2016 09:14

'MENTHOLATUM' seems to do a nice job also.
Ingredients:
Camphor - 9.60%
Menthol - 1.35%
Eucalyptus Oil - 1.30%
Methyl Salicylate - 0.22%
Turpentine Oil - 0.36%
Titanium Dioxide - 0.10%
Petrolatum Base - 87.07%

Lovely stuff; and easier tto find here than Vicks Vapor-Rub(which I prefer).
Use it quite frequently. A regular thing on the soles covered with socks since the temps have taken a plunge.
The facts expressed here belong to everybody. The opinions are mine.
I don’t post political comments or articles to convince those who disagree with me,
I post them so that those who might agree with such positions will know they are not alone.
Some things are opinions and can be argued - some things are facts and cannot.
Proverbs, Chapter 16 verse 9 <--- When in doubt, remember this.
TainanCowboy
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 793 times
Has gotten kudos: 489 times

Postby Icon » Sat Jan 30, 2016 09:15

Does anyone remember the Tiger balm, BTW?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else
Icon
Taiwanease Deity

Postby TainanCowboy » Sat Jan 30, 2016 09:19

Icon wrote:Does anyone remember the Tiger balm, BTW?

I have Tiger Balm White and Tiger Balm Red, along with Mentholatum on my desk as I type this. Use them regularly.
Personally, I think the main diff in the two is a dash of cinnamon in the Red.

edit:
And lets not for get "GREEN OIL" and "WHITE FLOWER OIL" while we're at it.
I don’t post political comments or articles to convince those who disagree with me,
I post them so that those who might agree with such positions will know they are not alone.
TainanCowboy
Taiwanease Royalty

Postby jimipresley » Sat Jan 30, 2016 09:31

This bollocks has been clearly debunked. Why are we still going on about it? *sigh*
Do you ever listen to yourself? - maoman

How clever of you to take an orange and a dog biscuit and build a time machine. - Bunks

Some countries cultivate vast populations of idiots for the purpose of maintaining sham democracies. - Toad
jimipresley
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 2570 times
Has gotten kudos: 1599 times

Postby LostInTaipei » Sat Jan 30, 2016 09:39

jimipresley wrote:This bollocks has been clearly debunked. Why are we still going on about it? *sigh*

Well, we're just dealing with something for a cold, so if a placebo effect works, hey, go with it. I still find the smell of Vaporub/Tiger Balm pleasant when I've got a cold, probably because of childhood memories, and that makes me feel better. Ginger lemon tea helps me feel better when I've got a cold. Both effects are probably all in my head. Who cares? I feel a bit less crap, and no harm done. (If we're talking about cancer treatments, then my attitude would be different.)

These users gave kudos to the author LostInTaipei for the post:
Just Jennifer (Sat Jan 30, 2016 21:05)
LostInTaipei
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 55 times
Has gotten kudos: 162 times

Postby TainanCowboy » Sat Jan 30, 2016 09:40

jimipresley wrote:This bollocks has been clearly debunked. Why are we still going on about it? *sigh*

How cute. Grumpy little Fortune Monkey Image has *sigh* ed....maybe add an eyeball roll to it just for grins :lol:
TainanCowboy
Taiwanease Royalty

Postby Icon » Sat Jan 30, 2016 09:50

LostInTaipei wrote:

Well, we're just dealing with something for a cold, so if a placebo effect works, hey, go with it. I still find the smell of Vaporub/Tiger Balm pleasant when I've got a cold, probably because of childhood memories, and that makes me feel better. Ginger lemon tea helps me feel better when I've got a cold. Both effects are probably all in my head. Who cares? I feel a bit less crap, and no harm done. (If we're talking about cancer treatments, then my attitude would be different.)

Heck, even chicken soup was eventually found to really have a chemical that indeed, helped you get better sooner.
Icon
Taiwanease Deity

Postby jimipresley » Sat Jan 30, 2016 09:51

LostInTaipei wrote:

Well, we're just dealing with something for a cold, so if a placebo effect works, hey, go with it.

The placebo effect doesn't work on young children, because they don't have the intellectual capacity to "believe" strongly enough.

In any case, this is another example of quackery that is passed off as "harmless". The problem is that there is a lot more of such nonsense out there that is also considered "harmless".

Where do you draw the line?

How clever of you to take an orange and a dog biscuit and build a time machine. - Bunks

Some countries cultivate vast populations of idiots for the purpose of maintaining sham democracies. - Toad
jimipresley
Taiwanease Deity

Postby jimipresley » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:07

Icon wrote:
Heck, even chicken soup was eventually found to really have a chemical that indeed, helped you get better sooner.

And what, exactly, is that "chemical"? Please quote your sources.

jimipresley
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Icon » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:33

jimipresley wrote:
LostInTaipei wrote:

Well, we're just dealing with something for a cold, so if a placebo effect works, hey, go with it.

The placebo effect doesn't work on young children, because they don't have the intellectual capacity to "believe" strongly enough.

In any case, this is another example of quackery that is passed off as "harmless". The problem is that there is a lot more of such nonsense out there that is also considered "harmless".

Where do you draw the line?

Kids believe in Santa and the tooth fairy, and will follow their parents clues as what to fear and what not.

Once again, it is not the rubbing per se or magic in the vapo rub. The socks, trapping the heat in the core, the care.
Icon
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Icon » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:40

jimipresley wrote:
Icon wrote:

First one on Google : The Science of Chicken Soup

Now, with government experts questioning the safety and effectiveness of cold medications for kids, the best option for parents this cold and flu season may be home remedies like chicken soup. As it turns out, a handful of scientific studies show that chicken soup really could have medicinal value.

The most widely cited of these studies, published in the medical journal Chest in 2000, is by Dr. Stephen Rennard of the University of Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha. He conducted laboratory tests to determine why chicken soup might help colds, beginning with his wife’s homemade recipe, handed down by her Lithuanian grandmother. Using blood samples from volunteers, he showed that the soup inhibited the movement of neutrophils, the most common type of white blood cell that defends against infection. Dr. Rennard theorizes that by inhibiting the migration of these infection-fighting cells in the body, chicken soup essentially helps reduce upper respiratory cold symptoms.
Icon
Taiwanease Deity

Postby jimipresley » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:45

Icon wrote:
jimipresley wrote:
Icon wrote:

First one on Google : The Science of Chicken Soup

Now, with government experts questioning the safety and effectiveness of cold medications for kids, the best option for parents this cold and flu season may be home remedies like chicken soup. As it turns out, a handful of scientific studies show that chicken soup really could have medicinal value.

The most widely cited of these studies, published in the medical journal Chest in 2000, is by Dr. Stephen Rennard of the University of Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha. He conducted laboratory tests to determine why chicken soup might help colds, beginning with his wife’s homemade recipe, handed down by her Lithuanian grandmother. Using blood samples from volunteers, he showed that the soup inhibited the movement of neutrophils, the most common type of white blood cell that defends against infection. Dr. Rennard theorizes that by inhibiting the migration of these infection-fighting cells in the body, chicken soup essentially helps reduce upper respiratory cold symptoms.

I read that, too. Yes, chicken soup is good for colds. But tell us more about this mysterious "chemical".

jimipresley
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Icon » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:59

The one that "he showed that the soup inhibited the movement of neutrophils, the most common type of white blood cell that defends against infection. Dr. Rennard theorizes that by inhibiting the migration of these infection-fighting cells in the body, chicken soup essentially helps reduce upper respiratory cold symptoms"!!

Now, with your Google-fu, can you help me find the proper name for the foreign affairs committee in the US Senate? In Spanish? I'll be back...
Icon
Taiwanease Deity

Postby jimipresley » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:08

Icon wrote:The one that "he showed that the soup inhibited the movement of neutrophils, the most common type of white blood cell that defends against infection. Dr. Rennard theorizes that by inhibiting the migration of these infection-fighting cells in the body, chicken soup essentially helps reduce upper respiratory cold symptoms"!!

Sorry. That's not a chemical. :neutral:

jimipresley
Taiwanease Deity

PreviousNext

Return to Children's Health