Does rubbing Vicks Vaporub on a kid's feet prevent coughing?

Have questions about children's health issues? Ask here - chances are someone's been through it already.

Moderator: Just Jennifer

Re: Does rubbing Vicks Vaporub on a kid's feet prevent coughing?

Postby Kal El » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:14

jimipresley wrote:
Icon wrote:The one that "he showed that the soup inhibited the movement of neutrophils, the most common type of white blood cell that defends against infection. Dr. Rennard theorizes that by inhibiting the migration of these infection-fighting cells in the body, chicken soup essentially helps reduce upper respiratory cold symptoms"!!

Sorry. That's not a chemical. :neutral:

Slow day today, mate? :wink:
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Heathen filth, the lot of you.
Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 1235 times
Has gotten kudos: 1164 times

Postby Icon » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:34

Kal El wrote:
jimipresley wrote:
Icon wrote:The one that "he showed that the soup inhibited the movement of neutrophils, the most common type of white blood cell that defends against infection. Dr. Rennard theorizes that by inhibiting the migration of these infection-fighting cells in the body, chicken soup essentially helps reduce upper respiratory cold symptoms"!!

Sorry. That's not a chemical. :neutral:

Slow day today, mate? :wink:

Like me, he's working on a Saturday. It is understandable. Originally, my only computer work plans today were to look for anew cellphone case. I am torn between a lovely crystal inspired -560 ntd- with double pockets -on a local website- and a Supernatural one -700 ntd equivalent, imported from England, takes a month or more for shipping -Ebay UK.

Alas, I have wasted two hours looking for a proper term to use once in an article, not to mention the gender of a Senator whose name sounds like an old maid... in the 50s... And I have two chapters of a soap opera to translate in the afternoon... Oh joy. Not.

Only 6 more hours to go...

Chemical = ingredient = substance = something in it. My Englishee vocabulary is limited. Help, teacher Jimi?
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else
Icon
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 627 times
Has gotten kudos: 856 times

Postby Bubbha » Sat Jan 30, 2016 13:59

Feet? Vapo Rub goes on the chest, so it's close to the nose. That's how it works: it clears out the air passages when you inhale it.
Bubbha
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 158 times
Has gotten kudos: 274 times

Postby Icon » Sat Jan 30, 2016 14:03

Bubbha wrote:Feet? Vapo Rub goes on the chest, so it's close to the nose. That's how it works: it clears out the air passages when you inhale it.

In the ol country they use pig grease for these cases. Does not smell nice, I can assure you.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else
Icon
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 627 times
Has gotten kudos: 856 times

Postby Bu Lai En » Sat Jan 30, 2016 20:26

jimipresley wrote:
LostInTaipei wrote:
jimipresley wrote:This bollocks has been clearly debunked. Why are we still going on about it? *sigh*

Well, we're just dealing with something for a cold, so if a placebo effect works, hey, go with it.

The placebo effect doesn't work on young children, because they don't have the intellectual capacity to "believe" strongly enough.

In any case, this is another example of quackery that is passed off as "harmless". The problem is that there is a lot more of such nonsense out there that is also considered "harmless".

Where do you draw the line?

Not true. Researchers have shown that doctor-administered placebo doesn't work on infants, but parent-administered placebo does (eg "Mummy will kiss it better").
Bu Lai En
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 155 times
Has gotten kudos: 229 times

Postby Big Vern » Sat Jan 30, 2016 22:22

I always get my wife to slather Vick's Vapour Rub onto me chakras. Placebo or not it works wonders, although it does sting a tad.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 564 times
Has gotten kudos: 916 times

Postby sandman » Mon Feb 01, 2016 13:51

I tried rubbing mentholatum on my feet last night because I had the sniffles. Bloody marvellous! An entire night of rest. We used to get Vicks on the chest when we were snottery kids in the 1960s. Again, worked a treat. Or you could be Jimi and cough and splutter all night, whilst muttering "debunked bollocks to Murgatroyd, cough, hack, sneeze." The shit works.

These users gave kudos to the author sandman for the post (total 2):
divea (Wed Feb 03, 2016 13:09) • TainanCowboy (Mon Feb 01, 2016 20:25)
sandman
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 317 times
Has gotten kudos: 845 times

Postby maoman » Mon Feb 01, 2016 17:23

I prefer to wrap a piece of red flannel around my neck.
Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle.
maoman  Anthony van Dyck
Admin

Has given kudos: 1852 times
Has gotten kudos: 1339 times
Display Name: Anthony van Dyck

Postby sandman » Mon Feb 01, 2016 18:05

maoman wrote:I prefer to wrap a piece of red flannel around my neck.

Whatever works. :idunno: But I'm pretty sure smallpox has been eradicated, so you'll be wasting your time.
sandman
Taiwanease Royalty

Postby Dr. Nemesis » Mon Feb 01, 2016 21:20

Dunno, but it apparently makes E's more fun :whistle:

These users gave kudos to the author Dr. Nemesis for the post (total 2):
sandman (Wed Feb 03, 2016 13:31) • Bu Lai En (Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:41)
Dr. Nemesis
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 99 times
Has gotten kudos: 172 times

Postby jimipresley » Mon Feb 01, 2016 22:18

sandman wrote:I tried rubbing mentholatum on my feet last night because I had the sniffles. Bloody marvellous! An entire night of rest. We used to get Vicks on the chest when we were snottery kids in the 1960s. Again, worked a treat. Or you could be Jimi and cough and splutter all night, whilst muttering "debunked bollocks to Murgatroyd, cough, hack, sneeze." The shit works.

Why don't you tell us all WHY it works? This whole "Oh, it works for me because I believe it does, and my mum told me it does and I don't care why because it does" is a bit bullshitty, don't you think? :smile:

God works in the same mysterious ways. :twocents:
Do you ever listen to yourself? - maoman

How clever of you to take an orange and a dog biscuit and build a time machine. - Bunks

Some countries cultivate vast populations of idiots for the purpose of maintaining sham democracies. - Toad
jimipresley
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 2580 times
Has gotten kudos: 1606 times

Postby sandman » Tue Feb 02, 2016 15:50

jimipresley wrote:
sandman wrote:I tried rubbing mentholatum on my feet last night because I had the sniffles. Bloody marvellous! An entire night of rest. We used to get Vicks on the chest when we were snottery kids in the 1960s. Again, worked a treat. Or you could be Jimi and cough and splutter all night, whilst muttering "debunked bollocks to Murgatroyd, cough, hack, sneeze." The shit works.

Why don't you tell us all WHY it works? This whole "Oh, it works for me because I believe it does, and my mum told me it does and I don't care why because it does" is a bit bullshitty, don't you think? :smile:

God works in the same mysterious ways. :twocents:

Because I 'aint no scientist, Jimi my darling. Try it, next time its a cold night and you're feeling a wee bit peely-wally. Trust me. You'll thank me.
sandman
Taiwanease Royalty

Postby divea » Wed Feb 03, 2016 13:10

Back in boarding school they used to give us a spoonful of Waterbury's compound with brandy, it used to work. Dunno why? :grin:
Work is the curse of the drinking classes- Wilde
divea
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 1317 times
Has gotten kudos: 705 times

Postby sandman » Wed Feb 03, 2016 13:34

Dr. Nemesis wrote:Dunno, but it apparently makes E's more fun :whistle:

"Apparently"? I have it on very very good authority that it does indeed. INDEED! Not on the feet, though. We smeared it all over our heads. RIGHTEOUS!

These users gave kudos to the author sandman for the post:
Dr. Nemesis (Wed Feb 03, 2016 15:06)
sandman
Taiwanease Royalty

Postby Big Vern » Wed Feb 03, 2016 13:52

sandman wrote:
Dr. Nemesis wrote:Dunno, but it apparently makes E's more fun :whistle:

"Apparently"? I have it on very very good authority that it does indeed. INDEED! Not on the feet, though. We smeared it all over our heads. RIGHTEOUS!

It would require an experiment with three groups. One only on e, one on e smeared in Vick's, and another only smeared in Vick's. All dancing to tedious repetetive music. A Likert scale could then be used for feedback afterwards.

These users gave kudos to the author Big Vern for the post:
Dr. Nemesis (Wed Feb 03, 2016 14:38)
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 564 times
Has gotten kudos: 916 times

PreviousNext

Return to Children's Health