Freight Forwarding Company Illegal Harassment (I think)

All issues that are not covered by the following legal forums may be posted here.

Moderator: Eiger John

Forum rules
Taiwanease is pleased to have the legal forums moderated by individuals from the upstanding legal firm Eiger. While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Taiwanease, the moderators and the Eiger firm cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Taiwanease provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and Eiger or any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: Freight Forwarding Company Illegal Harassment (I think)

Postby Icon » Tue Aug 02, 2016 15:08

Well, here is more family oriented and PG rated. But most members of Taiwanease are parents, and I guess they would be delighted to know more about your toys, as we have plenty of little human and fur kids who would love new whatchamacalits to play with.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else
Icon
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 616 times
Has gotten kudos: 856 times

Postby Mick » Wed Aug 03, 2016 09:26

Someone had to pay sales tax on the products you sold. If it were in Taiwan the sales tax is around 5%, just shy of 100k on a 53k US $ order. If sold in Korea, their sales tax is around 10% which is around the just shy of 200k they claim to be owed.

From what the OP has said, the cargo company used their own company to make the transaction and are now on the hook for the sales tax @ the Korean rate. Makes sense so far, and from their perspective I can see why they are miffed to be out of pocket 200k but there may be little recourse to them should you wish not to pay (since they filled out the paperwork claiming it was their company making the transaction and not you as an individual).

End of story? Not quite, should the freight forwarding company decide to play dirty, and since it was their company that made the initial shipment of your products under their name and their company, they can now contest ownership of the products you produce and intellectual property rights, just to make you life difficult.

Or, and I'm not an expert on the tax laws so you really need a lawyer on this, they admit making an administrative error and the shipment was in fact from you an individual to a Korean business, getting them off the hook for the taxes and leaving you with perhaps an even bigger bill, although this would probably get them in trouble too.
Mick
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 122 times
Has gotten kudos: 187 times

Postby LouisTawian » Sat Aug 06, 2016 22:27

I have met a lawyer. 45 minutes chat and 9kNT$ later... But it felt right. He basically confirmed what our accountant told us. Much like Mick said above, there is very little recourse for them. As for us, I was advised to just make sure I file my taxes without trying to use loopholes and we have nothing to worry about. He also confirmed that if I give them money or issue invoices to them, then there WOULD be potential criminal implications. He also advised to halt all communications with them and offered to give them a call if they contact us again. All seemed to make sense to me.

As for trying to steal intellectual property, this would prove very difficult as we have 29 retailers in 14 countries. ;) One year ago it was just me in my garage wearing boxers in front of a big fan... This little entreprise grew incredibly fast and I see this as growing pains.

Thank you.

These users gave kudos to the author LouisTawian for the post:
SuperS54 (Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:01)
LouisTawian
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 0 time
Has gotten kudos: 1 time

Postby LouisTawian » Sat Aug 06, 2016 22:35

Icon wrote:Well, here is more family oriented and PG rated. But most members of Taiwanease are parents, and I guess they would be delighted to know more about your toys, as we have plenty of little human and fur kids who would love new whatchamacalits to play with.

These toys are to be kept well away from pets. And youngsters under 16 years old should be supervised. :grandma:
LouisTawian
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby TainanCowboy » Sun Aug 07, 2016 07:24

Good Fortune and God Bless..... :thumbsup:
The facts expressed here belong to everybody. The opinions are mine.
I don’t post political comments or articles to convince those who disagree with me,
I post them so that those who might agree with such positions will know they are not alone.
Some things are opinions and can be argued - some things are facts and cannot.
Proverbs, Chapter 16 verse 9 <--- When in doubt, remember this.
TainanCowboy
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 793 times
Has gotten kudos: 489 times

Postby LouisTawian » Sun Aug 07, 2016 15:29

Thank you, TainanCowboy!
LouisTawian
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby cranky laowai » Tue Apr 18, 2017 14:37

Any updates?
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 176 times
Has gotten kudos: 514 times

Previous

Return to General Legal Matters