Traveling with a new passport, same ARC

ARCs, APRCs, JFRVs and a million other acronyms that you never thought you'd need to know about - until now. Find out what you need to know here.

Moderator: Eiger John

Forum rules
Taiwanease is pleased to have the legal forums moderated by individuals from the upstanding legal firm Eiger Law. While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Taiwanease, the moderators and the Eiger Law firm cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Taiwanease provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and Eiger Law or any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Traveling with a new passport, same ARC

Postby AnimalExtender » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:29

I just got a new US passport. I would of course update my ARC to reflect my new passport number, but as my ARC expires in November, it seems like a bit of unnecessary trouble.

Now, my question: I'm traveling overseas for a few days in the middle of September. If I've got both my old and new US passports on me, will I have any trouble at Taoyuan Airport? I have e-Gate, so really it's a question of whether the staff at the airline check-in counter would raise a fuss. I'd rather not have to get a brand new ARC for just two months, so I'm hoping this is a routine situation that they won't raise an eyebrow at.
AnimalExtender
2nd post! You're back for more!

Has given kudos: 0 time
Has gotten kudos: 0 time

Re: Traveling with a new passport, same ARC

Postby cfimages » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:56

If you ask the NIA nicely, they'll let you renew your ARC for the full time. Last time I got a new passport I had about 3 months left on my ARC, and they let me renew it for the full time then.
cfimages
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 702 times
Has gotten kudos: 923 times

Postby Wookiee » Sat Aug 20, 2016 19:46

When you get your new ARC--if you're getting one, it will have the same number. The only thing that will be different will be your passport number. The E-gate machine won't be able to tell the difference and the customs people will just tell you to get your ARC updated, from my experience..
Wookiee
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 79 times
Has gotten kudos: 75 times

Postby AnimalExtender » Sun Aug 21, 2016 09:31

Wookiee wrote:and the customs people will just tell you to get your ARC updated, from my experience..

Good - that's the kind of experience I posted hoping to hear.

I've got two different mental images of what would happen if I try to fly out with a passport/ARC mismatch. In one, I show the airline check-in people my old and new passports and my ARC, and it's no big deal, it's not that unusual a situation, and they let me on the flight. In the other, even though I've got both passports it's still a HUGE deal and they don't let me board (or make me pay a big fine). The trouble is, these both seem like plausible scenarios to me.
AnimalExtender
2nd post! You're back for more!

Has given kudos: 0 time
Has gotten kudos: 0 time

Postby Wookiee » Sun Aug 21, 2016 14:16

Apply for the new ARC and bring the receipt from the foreign affairs dept. with you. That will negate any questions. I did that myself once-------and they never even noticed that the passport # on the ARC was different.
Wookiee
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 79 times
Has gotten kudos: 75 times

Return to Visa & Residency Issues in Taiwan