Can a dependent spousal visa holder work in Taiwan?

ARCs, APRCs, JFRVs and a million other acronyms that you never thought you'd need to know about - until now. Find out what you need to know here.

Moderators: Eiger John, EigerMarcus

Forum rules
Taiwanease is pleased to have the legal forums moderated by individuals from the upstanding legal firm Eiger Law. While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Taiwanease, the moderators and the Eiger Law firm cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Taiwanease provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and Eiger Law or any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Can a dependent spousal visa holder work in Taiwan?

Postby psstpsst » Sun Jan 22, 2017 22:20

Hi guys, I am going to Taiwan with my husband in Jul. I am a citizen from Mainland China, and I am going to Taiwan with a dependent spousal visa. I am wondering if it's possible for me to work in Taiwan. What's the restriction on working in Taiwan with a spousal visa? I was looking for information on the immigration agency, but they only mention about the spousal visa on which case the partner is Taiwanese. My husband is not from Taiwan. Thank you guys and any input would be much appreciated! Cheers.
psstpsst
Learning the ropes

Has given kudos: 0 time
Has gotten kudos: 0 time

Re: Can a dependent spousal visa holder work in Taiwan?

Postby SuperS54 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 23:31

psstpsst wrote:Hi guys, I am going to Taiwan with my husband in Jul. I am a citizen from Mainland China, and I am going to Taiwan with a dependent spousal visa. I am wondering if it's possible for me to work in Taiwan. What's the restriction on working in Taiwan with a spousal visa? I was looking for information on the immigration agency, but they only mention about the spousal visa on which case the partner is Taiwanese. My husband is not from Taiwan. Thank you guys and any input would be much appreciated! Cheers.

Short answer is no, you won't be able to work and you also won't get a normal dependent ARC you'll get a multiple entry/exit permit. If you are currently living in China you'll also need an "exit to Taiwan" permit, you'll need to involve the cross straits foundation to process some of this.
SuperS54
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 48 times
Has gotten kudos: 21 times

Postby psstpsst » Mon Jan 23, 2017 08:17

That I won't get a normal dependent ARC is because I am from mainland?
psstpsst
Learning the ropes

Postby Kal El » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:22

psstpsst wrote:That I won't get a normal dependent ARC is because I am from mainland?

I'm not sure that you being from China is the important thing here. You'll be dependent on your husband's visa, so I think the issue is where is your husband from and what work and/or visa is he coming to Taiwan for?
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Heathen filth, the lot of you.
Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 1206 times
Has gotten kudos: 1145 times

Postby maoman » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:55

The rules governing spouses of work-visa holders is going to change soon. That being said, your status as someone from China IS significant, as Chinese nationals are treated differently from other foreigners in many respects. It's probably best for you to consult the authorities directly.
Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle.
maoman  Anthony van Dyck
Admin

Has given kudos: 1842 times
Has gotten kudos: 1321 times
Display Name: Anthony van Dyck

Postby Kal El » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:23

maoman wrote:It's probably best for you to consult the authorities directly.

That's probably the best advice. :twocents:
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Heathen filth, the lot of you.
Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 1206 times
Has gotten kudos: 1145 times

Postby SuperS54 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 16:05

Kal El wrote:
psstpsst wrote:That I won't get a normal dependent ARC is because I am from mainland?

I'm not sure that you being from China is the important thing here. You'll be dependent on your husband's visa, so I think the issue is where is your husband from and what work and/or visa is he coming to Taiwan for?

You won't get a normal dependent ARC because you are from China and your husband is not Taiwanese. If you are flying directly to Taiwan from whatever country you are currently in then you should only need the Taiwan side entry/exit permit. If you are transiting through China or even through HongKong you will be required to have the China equivalent exit permit to Taiwan also, sometimes you can get away with not having it in HongKong however it's a must transiting through China. Whether you can even get the Taiwan side entry/exit permit without the China side you need to discuss with your local Taiwan representative office.
SuperS54
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby psstpsst » Tue Jan 24, 2017 00:11

Kal El wrote:

I am not entirely sure, because his workplace is gonna handle the visa issues for us. He's from the US, and I assume his visa to Taiwan would be the work visa.
psstpsst
Learning the ropes

Postby psstpsst » Tue Jan 24, 2017 00:43

maoman wrote:The rules governing spouses of work-visa holders is going to change soon. That being said, your status as someone from China IS significant, as Chinese nationals are treated differently from other foreigners in many respects. It's probably best for you to consult the authorities directly.

Thanks! I try to look around online, but it seems circumstances like us are pretty rare. :cry:
psstpsst
Learning the ropes

Postby SuperS54 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:52

psstpsst wrote:
maoman wrote:The rules governing spouses of work-visa holders is going to change soon. That being said, your status as someone from China IS significant, as Chinese nationals are treated differently from other foreigners in many respects. It's probably best for you to consult the authorities directly.

Thanks! I try to look around online, but it seems circumstances like us are pretty rare. :cry:

Hi psstpsst, there are not that many foreigners here with Chinese wives/husbands so unfortunately not much pressure can be put on the authorities for some of the plainly bizarre and frankly racist policies that are in place whereby mainland spouses of foreigners are treated completely differently from mainland spouses of Taiwanese. My wife is from China and we know a few couples in the same position so can offer some help if needed although the fact that you apparently will be travelling from a country outside China to Taiwan is a little different and will very likely cause lots of panic and confusion at your local Taiwan representative office, be prepared for them initially telling you it's not possible at all.
SuperS54
Taiwanease Gentry

Return to Visa & Residency Issues in Taiwan