Is Easter Christian or Pagan

From Protestants to Pastafarians, from Mormons to Muslims, spirituality is as old as man, and so is discussing religion.

Moderator: Fortigurn

Re: Is Easter Christian or Pagan

Postby Toad » Thu Apr 06, 2017 17:34

It does appear in the "Declaration of Independence" which is an important founding document, but not the constitution.

Ah, yeah, my mistake :oops: Late-night post.

Can you have it both ways?

I think so. Consider this: Muslim traders (long ago) were famed for their honesty, not just between each other but with strangers (the "Christians", on the other hand, were a bunch of corrupt scoundrels). Now look at what Muslim culture has degenerated into. Those 15th-century Muslims would probably be appalled, and yet modern Islam is recognizably a descendant of their religion. Christianity rather went the opposite way about, or perhaps evolved through cycles of corruption and degeneracy. Nevertheless the common thread, adhered to by Christians whose names never appeared in the history books (except as martyrs), is as described in the NT. The power-hungry and the violent co-opted Christianity for their own nefarious purposes as Muslim terrorists and dictators do today.

Mick wrote:
Toad wrote:It's just my opinion, but I'd say a big part of being a Christian is just being a Christian.

This is a pretty cynical view, one which I admittedly held for much of my life, it's kind of like saying turning up to church on Sunday is an opportunity to compare outfits.

I didn't mean it's about going through the motions. This is one reason I dislike Catholicism, because it is explicitly about turning up at mass once a week and a lot of silly ritual. TC got the point.

People who I know, who really believe in Christianity, really do extend a hand when they can.

This will make no sense to non-Christians, but being a Christian is not about believing, it's about being:

http://biblehub.com/nlt/james/2.htm

You say you have faith, for you believe that there is one God. Good for you! Even the demons believe this, and they tremble in terror.

The quotation refers to 'good deeds', but Christianity isn't solely about good deeds either (other bits of the NT elaborate on that). I suppose I was really just pointing out that someone who is in fact a Christian (as opposed to someone who says he is) is incapable of, say, conducting genocidal raids, or campaigns or torture and terrorism.
Toad
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 1012 times
Has gotten kudos: 711 times

Re: Is Easter Christian or Pagan

Postby Kal El » Fri Apr 07, 2017 06:42

Tempo Gain wrote:
Kal El wrote:
Something else of interest on the subject: The Birth of Christianity and the Origins of Christian Anti-Judaism

Interesting stuff, thanks for posting.

Living here does give one a bit of perspective on the idea of a new religion trying to take root in a pagan society.

Indeed. Currently reading Misquoting Jesus. It's pretty damn interesting.
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Heathen filth, the lot of you.
Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量

These users gave kudos to the author Kal El for the post:
Tempo Gain (Fri Apr 07, 2017 13:29)
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 1235 times
Has gotten kudos: 1164 times

Previous

Return to Religion & Spirituality