President Trump

For domestic American politics only. For political issues with direct international implications, please post in the International Politics forum.

Re: President Trump

Postby HeadhonchoII » Fri Jun 02, 2017 19:44

Toad wrote:
Corns wrote:The Paris Agreement, as Trump stated in his speech, would have decimated coal output by 83 percent!!!. Very bad for West Virginia. Of course, EU elites and their fluffers in Hollywood and the green tech industry don`t give a rat`s ass about West Virginia.

I had this debate with someone else. Who cares if coal output is decimated, as long ex-coal miners can find work elsewhere? Thatcher's mistake in the 80s was not destroying the coal industry and its Union, but failing to channel that productivity elsewhere. There will always be well-paid jobs for guys who don't mind getting their hands dirty.

Even China are apparently shutting down some of their shittier coal-mining operations. You seem to be asserting that West Virginia has absolutely no other economic raison d'être except to produce coal, and if they stop producing coal everyone there will be destitute.

I read that there are only a few thousand coal miners left in some of those traditional coal mining states, its a joke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
But you got to ask yourself the question....what would astronaut Chris Hatfield do?
HeadhonchoII
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 128 times
Has gotten kudos: 256 times

Postby Toad » Fri Jun 02, 2017 19:55

Corns wrote:as long as they are not picking winners and losers and are available to multiple sectors

Yes, I meant tax breaks for anybody setting up business in W. Virginia.

core lab facilities, entrepreneurship programs/education that promote risk taking, and active corporate interest in universities (which is often frowned upon by left wing faculties in many US universities) it often means that startups thrive and this leads to diversification. It can have transformative impacts and enhance social indicators including obesity, diabetes, etc. Look at UNC -- helped transform North Carolina from a state of tobacco farmers to having a diversified economy in one generation.

These things might be a bit highbrow for people who all work at Wal-Mart (as HH2 pointed out, coal mining isn't even a big employer - I found a top-20 list online). If UNC made this work, it obviously could be university-led, but whatever training or business opportunities were put on offer would have to reach ordinary people.

But I guess my point is that shock treatment is not the way to go. It will just lead to more addiction problems. Fail quickly and often might be a cool mantra for tech environments, but it isn`t with coal communities. Wean them off coal but don`t end the industry in the meantime. And pious elitism is not the way to go as demonstrated with Obama and Hillary using the deplorables label. :twocents: :twocents: Keep coal as a lifeline while you explore other options. :twocents:

Sure, I wasn't suggesting just shutting down the mines tomorrow. However there ought to be some sort of action plan in place, as opposed to "yeah, we like this renewables stuff, but not enough to actually do anything about it". All the things you're talking about should have been sorted literally decades ago ... as opposed to letting the place turn into a shithole because, hey, as long as the peasants are employed down t' pit, they won't be turning up outside city hall with torches and pitchforks.
Toad
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 1012 times
Has gotten kudos: 711 times

Postby Corns » Fri Jun 02, 2017 20:45

Toad wrote:These things might be a bit highbrow for people who all work at Wal-Mart (as HH2 pointed out, coal mining isn't even a big employer - I found a top-20 list online). If UNC made this work, it obviously could be university-led, but whatever training or business opportunities were put on offer would have to reach ordinary people.

Sure, I think tax breaks, as you suggest, would reach a larger demographic and provide more immediate relief, but such incentives can can be easily reversed when governments come and go. I have seen it so many times in my own government experience. New party gets elected and such incentive programs are changed significantly. This uncertainty can hurt small and large business alike who have to navigate the red tape.

I am no fan of academia (worst work experiences in my life were at universities where pieces of paper are valued over real-life pragmatism) but there is a reason why great innovation clusters are centred and grow around great institutions. For example, businesses of all kind thrive in San Francisco because of the cities proximity to Stanford, Berkeley, etc. Likewise, Tel Aviv has a great startup culture because of Technion and relationships with the military. Boston --same with MIT, Harvard, etc.

West Virginia, on the other hand, seems to have a pretty poor education system. Again, I blame the Democrats, who ruled the state for much of the last 100 years. :two cents: With all the pork Senator Byrd was often associated with, you think he could have developed innovative education instead of building bridges or buildings with his name on it. :lol:

Renewal in cities such as Detroit and Pittsburgh are creating tech hotspots attracting people with low real estate costs, gentrification in certain areas, and a young population etc. that has been priced out of coastal cities, but I think it will be tougher for West Virginia because of the smaller population, the less diverse population, the lack of attractions for outsiders to relocate, and the lack of philanthropists/emigres returning after becoming successful somewhere else (say in contrast to Pittsburgh). And yet, because of its importance as a battleground state politically (in recent years becoming decidedly Republican), the importance of coal is disproportionate to the jobs associated with it. That is politics!!! Sort of like supply management in Canada where a few very powerful protectionists with tremendous lobbying power keep the price of milk, eggs and cheese very, very high to everyone else. :twocents:
You're actually a nihilistic sociopath wrapped up in a Canadian flag pretending to be some giant intellect tapping away from a southern French shed.---Broonale
Corns
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 130 times
Has gotten kudos: 219 times

Postby HeadhonchoII » Fri Jun 02, 2017 22:54

On the topic of coal mines and solar farms...

https://www.fastcompany.com/40416725/th ... solar-farm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
But you got to ask yourself the question....what would astronaut Chris Hatfield do?

These users gave kudos to the author HeadhonchoII for the post:
Toad (Sat Jun 03, 2017 09:44)
HeadhonchoII
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 128 times
Has gotten kudos: 256 times

Postby cfimages » Wed Jul 05, 2017 21:51

Dude, where's my car?

These users gave kudos to the author cfimages for the post:
Big Vern (Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:30)
cfimages
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 704 times
Has gotten kudos: 939 times

Postby Big Vern » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:35

cfimages wrote:Dude, where's my car?

The way he walks down the airstair. Reminds me of my grandfather when he had Alzheimer's.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 564 times
Has gotten kudos: 912 times

Postby Kal El » Sat Jul 08, 2017 04:27

Well, Bill Clinton, Dubya and Obama were all fairly young presidents spanning from 1992 to 2016. Reagan and Bush Sr were older buggers, but that was 25 years years ago. People forget what it's like having a doddering old fool running a powerful democracy. This is what you get when you pit a crooked grandma fainting all over the place against an egotistical old ass with money for the presidency of the USA. :idunno:
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Heathen filth, the lot of you.
Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 1231 times
Has gotten kudos: 1159 times

Previous

Return to American (Domestic) Politics