State attorney, you say?

For domestic American politics only. For political issues with direct international implications, please post in the International Politics forum.

Re: State attorney, you say?

Postby Toad » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:27

When you have something like a 1 in 2 or 1 in 3 chance that the person you're confronting has a gun, an attitude is understandable.

Completely agree with that. About 60 US policemen are killed every year. That's a 1 in 700 chance of dying during the average career, which might appear fairly low in absolute terms, but walking the streets with the awareness that wearing your uniform is like having a target painted on your back is guaranteed to mess with your head. There are probably far more non-fatal incidents. I reckon US cops should be automatically retired after, say, 7 years on the job.

Or Americans could simply stop selling guns to criminals. :roflmao:

In the UK, the average is 1 dead policeman a year, ie., ten times safer than in the US. They're often killed in road accidents and the like, not as a deliberate hostile act.

I've read a few books about modern policing in the UK, and I get the impression British policemen now view their job as a complete waste of time. The government treats them as a nuisance, they spend very little time on actual policing, and apparently it's virtually impossible to get known troublemakers locked away. So you end up with entire communities ruined by the presence of half-a-dozen hardcore nutcases that the law won't touch. Meanwhile, they go after safe targets (eg., traffic infractions) to keep their reports looking good: "if you can't measure it you can't manage it!" has been applied to absolutely everything these days, and what a lot of employment that generates for "managers".

The job now attracts people who like a bit of aggravation and aren't really interested in making the world a (slightly) better place, because the police force is no longer a position where you can do that.
Toad
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 1012 times
Has gotten kudos: 711 times

Previous

Return to American (Domestic) Politics