Australian wanting to teach English in Taiwan

Teaching English is a very common job for foreigners in Taiwan. Whether you want to share your experiences as a teacher in Taiwan or learn from the experiences of others, this is the right place for you!

Australian wanting to teach English in Taiwan

Postby Ajkula » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:02

Hi there guys,

My name is David, i am 24 years of age and have lived in Perth Western Australia for 23 of those years. I am a fluent speaker of English and it is my first language.

Now i really really really want to go teach English in Taiwan, not only for a career choice but for a lifestyle choice, as my partner lives in New Taipei city, i would love to live with her there as it is a lot harder for her to come and live here.

I've heard many mixed reports about the requirements to work as an English teacher legally in Taiwan, i have the general consensus saying that i require a bachelors degree of any sort to enter but unfortunately i do not have one, nor do i really want to use up 4 years of my life obtaining one. While on the other hand i have browsed This TEFL/TESOL website that states that i can work in Taiwan without a degree as long as i have completed a TEFL registered course and received a TEFL certificate, i have contacted one of the teachers of that website and he is telling me he has knows people who have or are working in Taiwan teaching English without a degree.

here is a link to that website by the way : https://tesolau.com/certificate-iv-in-tesol/

Which part is true? is there really a chance to work in Taiwan without a bachelors degree but with a completed TEFL/TESOL course?

I welcome any answer or any discussion about this topic, preferably from English teachers who are or have worked in Taiwan in the recent years.

Thanks guys and i look forward to your replies! :orz:
Ajkula
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 0 time
Has gotten kudos: 0 time

Re: Australian wanting to teach English in Taiwan

Postby Kal El » Wed Nov 01, 2017 13:28

*replies :twocents:
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Heathen filth, the lot of you.
Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 1215 times
Has gotten kudos: 1154 times

Postby Ajkula » Wed Nov 01, 2017 13:32

Boy that sure makes me look stupid ;(
Ajkula
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby Big Vern » Wed Nov 01, 2017 15:09

Bachelor's Degree or Associate's Degree with a recognized TEFL qualification. Also, they don't like online qualifications.

Unless the Ministry of Education have changed the requirements I think you are being misled that a TEFL qualification on its own will suffice.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 562 times
Has gotten kudos: 894 times

Postby Ajkula » Wed Nov 01, 2017 15:13

Yeah, sounded too damn good to be true. Ah well i guess ill just have to do a uni course back here....

with the recognized TEFL qualifications, is there any website that shows which ones are recognized by the Ministry of Education?
Ajkula
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby Big Vern » Wed Nov 01, 2017 15:16

Ajkula wrote:Yeah, sounded too damn good to be true. Ah well i guess ill just have to do a uni course back here....

with the recognized TEFL qualifications, is there any website that shows which ones are recognized by the Ministry of Education?

I'm not sure. CELTA and Trinity are definitely recognized and are basically the same cost as the online one you've linked to. If you want open work rights you could marry your partner and the discussion becomes moot. Possibly an extreme solution to your problem.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Ajkula » Wed Nov 01, 2017 15:27

Hey thanks for the info Vern! ill definitely take a look at those.

Now here's another question in regards to TEFL in general. these days does it pay to have a TEFL qualification as an English teacher in Taiwan? or am i better off just rolling up with my acquired bachelors degree and not having to spend extra money and time to acquire it?

Big Vern wrote:
If you want open work rights you could marry your partner and the discussion becomes moot. Possibly an extreme solution to your problem.

haha yeah we both love each other very much and do want to get married one day but yes that is an EXTREME solution to this problem.
Ajkula
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby Big Vern » Wed Nov 01, 2017 15:43

Ajkula wrote:
Now here's another question in regards to TEFL in general. these days does it pay to have a TEFL qualification as an English teacher in Taiwan? or am i better off just rolling up with my acquired bachelors degree and not having to spend extra money and time to acquire it?

You will find some doors closed to you without a TEFL certificate, but in terms of getting an entry level job having one helps but not that much.

One option you might want to consider is taking a Bachelor's degree in a Taiwanese university. You'll find they offer some pretty good deals, and I believe you are legally allowed to teach a limited number of hours as you study.

With regards to the guy who said he knew people in Taiwan who are teaching without a degree - he's not lying. It's possible with varying degrees of legality.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Ajkula » Wed Nov 01, 2017 16:06

Awesome, thanks for that info.

I was thinking about that option, maybe i can take a course in mandarin and teach English while i'm doing it. I just wonder how expensive it would be for an international student, and im not just talking tuition fees, but also the cost of the visa, and the cost of admission into the uni.

Yeah id rather not screw up my chance of living with my partner by attempting some questionably legal ways to work in Taiwan hahaha.
Ajkula
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby Big Vern » Wed Nov 01, 2017 16:20

No, you should be looking to get a degree. Look for courses where the unis are actively attracting foreign students - such as English Bachelor's in Business Administration. You may find that your course fees will be covered and you may also receive a stipend plus free accommodation. I know that the unis often offer this for foreign students studying a Master's and I think the same is true for undergraduates.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Bunks » Wed Nov 01, 2017 20:45

Don't go writing your full name on message boards. Especially if you the only person with that name on facebook. :facepalm:
Bunks
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 202 times
Has gotten kudos: 338 times

Postby Ajkula » Wed Nov 01, 2017 20:48

Bunks wrote:Don't go writing your full name on message boards. Especially if you the only person with that name on facebook. :facepalm:

hahahaha but which David am i? :P
Ajkula
Taiwanease Gentry

Return to Teaching English in Taiwan