Underweight child

Have questions about children's health issues? Ask here - chances are someone's been through it already.

Moderator: Just Jennifer

Underweight child

Postby Big Vern » Tue Nov 28, 2017 19:32

My 7 year old has a BMI of 14.9. I'm not massively concerned, but you know how it is when you breed. She is a slow eater but she always has healthy food I cook and she eats loads of fruit. I suggested to the wife giving her ice cream everyday to whack up the sugar input. :idunno: That went down like a lead balloon. Any ideas?
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 564 times
Has gotten kudos: 914 times

Re: Underweight child

Postby Kal El » Tue Nov 28, 2017 19:45

Big Vern wrote:My 7 year old has a BMI of 14.9. I'm not massively concerned, but you know how it is when you breed. She is a slow eater but she always has healthy food I cook and she eats loads of fruit. I suggested to the wife giving her ice cream everyday to whack up the sugar input. :idunno: That went down like a lead balloon. Any ideas?

Leave her be. As long as she's healthy she's fine. My boy is the same. Sprouting like crazy, but thin as a rake. Always been a picky eater, but eats when he wants to, and healthy like your girl. Don't get her hooked on sugar. It's best to instill a healthy eating philosophy than trying to fatten her up on crap.
I was like my boy, too. 56kg in Matric (grade 12). Now I'm 95-98kgs most of the time. :idunno:

Unless she's ill, there's nothing wrong with her. Forget about Amah and everyone else going on about how cute fat kids are, health and whatnot blah blah blah. She's fine.
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Heathen filth, the lot of you.
Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量

These users gave kudos to the author Kal El for the post (total 3):
cranky laowai (Tue Nov 28, 2017 21:54) • Toad (Tue Nov 28, 2017 21:53) • Tempo Gain (Tue Nov 28, 2017 21:22)
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 1232 times
Has gotten kudos: 1160 times

Postby Toad » Tue Nov 28, 2017 21:55

Back when I had a family, we had one kid who was overweight and one kid who was thin as a rake. Once they hit their 20s they both turned out just fine.

BMI is fairly meaningless for kids, anyway. As Kal El said, keep feeding her healthy stuff, don't get her hooked on sugar, and it'll work itself out.
Toad
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 1012 times
Has gotten kudos: 711 times

Postby Big Vern » Tue Nov 28, 2017 22:06

Yeah, I know. Just being a drama queen. Kids are worry magnets.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Icon » Tue Nov 28, 2017 22:22

Honest question: is it a thing that kids are fussy eaters? I mean I had to eat what was on the plate or chancleta. And I remember being hungry when there was no food. But nowadays my coworkers have trouble getting their kids to eat. My siblings the same. They never ate a lot and only ate certain stuff to this day so I blame them. But my coworkers follow a healthy diet yet their kids recoil at the sight of fruit.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else
Icon
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 619 times
Has gotten kudos: 856 times

Postby Big Vern » Tue Nov 28, 2017 22:41

Icon wrote:Honest question: is it a thing that kids are fussy eaters? I mean I had to eat what was on the plate or chancleta. And I remember being hungry when there was no food. But nowadays my coworkers have trouble getting their kids to eat. My siblings the same. They never ate a lot and only ate certain stuff to this day so I blame them. But my coworkers follow a healthy diet yet their kids recoil at the sight of fruit.

There's probably an evolutionary reason behind why many kids are fussy eaters. Avoiding foods their developing stomach can't yet process, maybe.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Postby jimipresley » Tue Nov 28, 2017 22:59

Big Vern wrote:There's probably an evolutionary reason behind why many kids are fussy eaters. Avoiding foods their developing stomach can't yet process, maybe.

Is there a reason that you could supply a link to, or is it utterly speculative?
Do you ever listen to yourself? - maoman

How clever of you to take an orange and a dog biscuit and build a time machine. - Bunks

Some countries cultivate vast populations of idiots for the purpose of maintaining sham democracies. - Toad
jimipresley
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 2570 times
Has gotten kudos: 1599 times

Postby Big Vern » Tue Nov 28, 2017 23:20

jimipresley wrote:
Big Vern wrote:There's probably an evolutionary reason behind why many kids are fussy eaters. Avoiding foods their developing stomach can't yet process, maybe.

Is there a reason that you could supply a link to, or is it utterly speculative?

Udderly speculative. Probably.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Tempo Gain » Wed Nov 29, 2017 00:50

jimipresley wrote:

I think I actually saw something about this the other day. It was a study that explained why children don't seem to care for vegetables.
Tempo Gain
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 142 times
Has gotten kudos: 175 times

Postby Toad » Wed Nov 29, 2017 09:03

Tempo Gain wrote:It was a study that explained why children don't seem to care for vegetables.

It's just another random opinion, but I suspect it's something to do with the way taste develops. I can clearly remember certain things tasting different when I was a kid; things I didn't like then, I like now, and vice versa.

https://recipes.howstuffworks.com/menus ... e-buds.htm
Toad
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Postby Icon » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:07

Toad wrote:
Tempo Gain wrote:It was a study that explained why children don't seem to care for vegetables.

It's just another random opinion, but I suspect it's something to do with the way taste develops. I can clearly remember certain things tasting different when I was a kid; things I didn't like then, I like now, and vice versa.

I know that kids tend to drink clorox and dirt because their taste buds and sense of smell are not developed. But how can some survive on a diet of pao mien is beyond me. I mean, my coworkers kids do not like fries or chicken or pasta. Fruit is anatema.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else
Icon
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Toad » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:52

Icon wrote:I know that kids tend to drink clorox and dirt because their taste buds and sense of smell are not developed.

Well ... I think that's more to do with their hamster-like suicidal tendencies. Possibly it's nature's way of weeding out the stupid ones :)

I suppose the other aspect is that parents can be super over-indulgent in Taiwan (especially where they've only got one kid, obtained via expensive fertility treatment). Kids will more-or-less eat what they're given if it's full of MSG and sugar, so it's easy to train them to eat junk food.

I've seen a lot of families in the Philippines feeding their kids on nothing but shit from plastic packets because (a) the parents genuinely believe it's healthy (b) they think fat kids are 'cute' and (c) that's pretty much all that's available. Apart from (b), that's clearly not the case in Taiwan.

These users gave kudos to the author Toad for the post:
Icon (Wed Nov 29, 2017 14:38)
Toad
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Postby Big Vern » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:06

Toad wrote:
I suppose the other aspect is that parents can be super over-indulgent in Taiwan (especially where they've only got one kid, obtained via expensive fertility treatment).

Mine was perfectly natural, squire. Took quite a while, though. 16 years old, condom splits, pregnant. 40+ 4 times a day and takes for ever. Enough to put a man off sex for life.

Perhaps too much information. :lol:

These users gave kudos to the author Big Vern for the post (total 2):
Just Jennifer (Wed Nov 29, 2017 22:58) • Kal El (Wed Nov 29, 2017 13:19)
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Tempo Gain » Wed Nov 29, 2017 13:39

Toad wrote:It's just another random opinion, but I suspect it's something to do with the way taste develops. I can clearly remember certain things tasting different when I was a kid; things I didn't like then, I like now, and vice versa.

It makes sense that we'd have a suspicion of new tastes until it looked sure that they weren't going to hurt us.
Tempo Gain
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 142 times
Has gotten kudos: 175 times

Postby Icon » Wed Nov 29, 2017 14:33

Toad wrote:
Icon wrote:I know that kids tend to drink clorox and dirt because their taste buds and sense of smell are not developed.

Well ... I think that's more to do with their hamster-like suicidal tendencies. Possibly it's nature's way of weeding out the stupid ones :)

I suppose the other aspect is that parents can be super over-indulgent in Taiwan (especially where they've only got one kid, obtained via expensive fertility treatment). Kids will more-or-less eat what they're given if it's full of MSG and sugar, so it's easy to train them to eat junk food.

I've seen a lot of families in the Philippines feeding their kids on nothing but shit from plastic packets because (a) the parents genuinely believe it's healthy (b) they think fat kids are 'cute' and (c) that's pretty much all that's available. Apart from (b), that's clearly not the case in Taiwan.

But explain to me how come a kid turns down a hamburguer?! A grilled cheese sandwich! Heck, I have seen them turn down fried chicken!!! Their Mom is a great baker, they turn down brownies, for Gordon Ramsay's sake!
Icon
Taiwanease Deity

Next

Return to Children's Health