Hooters Xinyi

Taipei restaurants are some of the best in Asia - visit our forums to find out why (and where!)

Hooters Xinyi

Postby maoman » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:33

Hooters Xinyi, part of the Hooters Asia chain (and not to be confused with the Hooters franchise on Qingcheng Street), and operated by the Bangkok-based Destination Group, has closed its doors after only 10 months. There were a few reasons for the premature evacuation, I think. It was a tough location, with very little visibility from Songren Road, and very little (after work) pedestrian traffic, and their lunch was too expensive for most office workers. But the management was also really lacking. My experiences ordering a JD coke were almost comical:
Me, at the bar: Hi, can I have a JD coke?
Bartender, eyes frozen in fear. W-w-what?
Me: A JD coke. Coca-Cola and Jack Daniels whiskey.
Bartender, picking up the recipe book...: One minute, please
Me: It's ok, you don't need a recipe book. It's just a shot of Jack Daniels and the rest is coke.
Bartender: Oh, ok. (Starts to scan the shelf for Jack Daniels.)
Me: It's the one on the bottom left, with the black label.
Bartender: Oh, ok.
She starts to pour from the bottle into the jigger over the glass, realizes she might spill a few drops, and moves to pour over the sink, where any superfluous whiskey would go safely down the drain, rather than irritatingly into my glass. (!) I explain to the bartender that it's ok to have extra booze in a glass, she nods blankly.

40 minutes later, I'm finished my drink, and as no one came to my table to ask if I'd like another drink, I returned to the bar, only to have to go through the exact same process with a new bartender. :doh: I didn't have a 3rd drink.

Another thing that bothers me is that Hooters charges $80NT for celery with the wings (wings are literally the only reason I go to Hooters), but the celery was ONE freaking stalk, split into four slender pieces. I don't mind paying more for booze or main dishes. But if you're going to charge for something as cheap and locally-available as celery, then at least be a little generous. To be fair, the original Taipei Hooters, on Qingcheng Street by the Nanjing Fuxing MRT also does this.

It seems that Hooters Asia has had problems in Singapore with two locations opened and closed within a year, and one that had been planned for Manila, but it never came to be. There is still a Hooters in Singapore, but like the Hooters on Qingcheng Street, it is a 20 year old stand-alone franchisee and not associated with Hooters Asia or any other group. Scuttlebutt has it that Hooters Xinyi will reopen, but with a new GM in place. The fact that it's still on their website (unlike the Singapore locations, which have been deleted) makes me think that this might be true. Frankly speaking, it's going to be a very tough haul for them. Relaunching in the same location will be more difficult the second time around, but hey, good luck to them.
Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle.
maoman  Anthony van Dyck
Admin

Has given kudos: 1840 times
Has gotten kudos: 1317 times
Display Name: Anthony van Dyck

Re: Hooters Xinyi

Postby Big Vern » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:50

maoman wrote: premature evacuation

:thumbsup: :lol: You guys are on good form this fine morn.

These users gave kudos to the author Big Vern for the post:
maoman (Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:06)
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 555 times
Has gotten kudos: 880 times

Postby sandman » Mon Jan 08, 2018 13:34

I went for the big titties. They totally dint come up with the goods. Plus, their wings are shite.
sandman
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 313 times
Has gotten kudos: 839 times

Postby Big Vern » Mon Jan 08, 2018 17:43

sandman wrote:I went for the big titties. They totally dint come up with the goods. Plus, their wings are shite.

Indeed. I consider it to be a case of clear misselling when I have the biggest moobs in the place.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Hooters Xinyi

Postby maoman » Tue Jan 09, 2018 08:39

sandman wrote:Plus, their wings are shite.

Where can I get better wings in Taipei? Link/pictures please.
maoman  Anthony van Dyck
Admin

Postby sandman » Tue Jan 09, 2018 16:44

maoman wrote:

Green Hornet knocks the socks off Hooters for wings. Its on facebook. Also the Shack, also on FB.
sandman
Taiwanease Royalty

Postby maoman » Tue Jan 09, 2018 16:52

sandman wrote:
maoman wrote:

Green Hornet knocks the socks off Hooters for wings. Its on facebook. Also the Shack, also on FB.

How were they better? What kind of wings did you order when you went to Hooters Xinyi?
maoman  Anthony van Dyck
Admin

Postby sandman » Tue Jan 09, 2018 18:31

maoman wrote:
sandman wrote:
maoman wrote:

How were they better? What kind of wings did you order when you went to Hooters Xinyi?

Home-made (or at least made from scratch on the premises). The ones I had at Hooters? I honestly don't remember, they were THAT forgettable, very obviously made in some central off-premises kitchen (or at least tasted and looked that way -- if they are made on-site, then the cooks should be ashamed of themselves!), and why I've never been back. Just fast-food, and not really much better than what you'd get from a Domino's pizza place, at least for my taste. Best thing about the place is that it wasn't too far from Baba Kevin's!
sandman
Taiwanease Royalty

Postby Kal El » Tue Jan 09, 2018 19:38

sandman wrote:I went for the big titties. They totally dint come up with the goods. Plus, their wings are shite.

Many moons ago I went to the Qingcheng Hooters for the same reason. I also left disappointed in the food and the none existent, yet implied by the name, big titties.
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Heathen filth, the lot of you.
Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 1202 times
Has gotten kudos: 1141 times

Postby Kal El » Tue Jan 09, 2018 19:42

maoman wrote:

If you and the family are ever in Tainan on a Sunday after 5pm, let me know. I'll show you an NT$150 for 10 wings (to be fair, five are actual wings, five are those wee drumsticks) special that may impress you. In four available flavours. BBQ, Buffalo, Parmesan Cheese, and The Artful's Special Rub.
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Heathen filth, the lot of you.
Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 1202 times
Has gotten kudos: 1141 times

Postby Big Vern » Tue Jan 09, 2018 20:33

Kal El wrote:
maoman wrote:

If you and the family are ever in Tainan on a Sunday after 5pm, let me know. I'll show you an NT$150 for 10 wings (to be fair, five are actual wings, five are those wee drumsticks) special that may impress you. In four available flavours. BBQ, Buffalo, Parmesan Cheese, and The Artful's Special Rub.

If one wants decent food, go see a Brit. :thumbsup:
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Postby maoman » Fri Feb 23, 2018 13:34

maoman wrote:Frankly speaking, it's going to be a very tough haul for them. Relaunching in the same location will be more difficult the second time around, but hey, good luck to them.

They’ve closed their doors for good. There is now only the Qingcheng Street location left. I’m getting together there with a few buddies mid-March for some drinks and wings and drinks. PM me if you’d like an invite.
maoman  Anthony van Dyck
Admin

Return to Greater Taipei Restaurants, Bars, and Clubs