What Are You Watching (Movies) 2018

Books, music, films, movies, TV shows, etc. - this is the place for it! A & E topics related to Taiwan or China should be posted in the Culture & History Forum.

Moderator: ThreadKiller

What Are You Watching (Movies) 2018

Postby cfimages » Sat Jan 13, 2018 20:51

Just saw Darkest Hour.



:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Gary Oldman is fantastic as Churchill, and the movie is just beautifully filmed. Incredible use of light and colour palettes.

These users gave kudos to the author cfimages for the post (total 2):
Dragonbones (Mon Mar 05, 2018 21:02) • ThreadKiller (Sun Jan 14, 2018 23:01)
User avatar
cfimages
Taiwanease Royalty
 
Posts: 3348
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 14:33
Location: Danshui
Has given kudos: 696 times
Has gotten kudos: 915 times

Re: What Are You Watching (Movies) 2018

Postby jimipresley » Mon Feb 19, 2018 19:20

Binge-watched a few Oscar nominees:

Get Out:

Yeah, okay, but predictable and gratuitous. 3/5

The Shape of Water:

The first half is brilliant, but the rest alternates between depressing and schmaltz. 3/5

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri:

The best film made in the last ten years. An intense and often shocking study of the pain of grief and loss. I wept all the way through it.
A masterpiece. Francis McDormand and Sam Rockwell are phenomenal. 5/5.
Do you ever listen to yourself? - maoman

How clever of you to take an orange and a dog biscuit and build a time machine. - Bunks

Some countries cultivate vast populations of idiots for the purpose of maintaining sham democracies. - Toad

These users gave kudos to the author jimipresley for the post (total 2):
Just Jennifer (Wed Feb 21, 2018 02:28) • maoman (Mon Feb 19, 2018 19:41)
User avatar
jimipresley
Taiwanease Deity
 
Posts: 5438
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 23:34
Location: Picturesque, idyllic Sanchong.
Has given kudos: 2526 times
Has gotten kudos: 1550 times

Re: What Are You Watching (Movies) 2018

Postby cranky laowai » Mon Feb 19, 2018 20:44

jimipresley wrote:The Shape of Water:

The first half is brilliant, but the rest alternates between depressing and schmaltz. 3/5

I left with the feeling that I'd more or less seen that movie before from del Toro. I agree with your rating.
User avatar
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy
 
Posts: 2161
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 13:15
Location: Banqiao, Xinbei, Taiwan
Has given kudos: 165 times
Has gotten kudos: 471 times

Re: What Are You Watching (Movies) 2018

Postby Kal El » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:25

cfimages wrote:Just saw Darkest Hour.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Gary Oldman is fantastic as Churchill, and the movie is just beautifully filmed. Incredible use of light and colour palettes.

Agreed. My only "issue" was that I felt like I'd seen it before, which of course, I have in a sense what with Dunkirk, Churchill, The King's Speech and particularly The Gathering Storm.
That said, Gary Oldman is fantastic as Churchill and I also liked the movie a lot.

As for cinematography, I wonder if you've seen Murder on the Orient Express?


A beautifully made movie with some great actors and acting. Loved it! :thumbsup:
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Heathen filth, the lot of you.
Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量

These users gave kudos to the author Kal El for the post:
Dragonbones (Mon Mar 05, 2018 21:09)
User avatar
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity
 
Posts: 6874
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 23:17
Location: 台南, 台灣
Has given kudos: 1202 times
Has gotten kudos: 1141 times

Re: What Are You Watching (Movies) 2018

Postby cfimages » Tue Feb 20, 2018 16:50

Kal El wrote:
As for cinematography, I wonder if you've seen Murder on the Orient Express?


A beautifully made movie with some great actors and acting. Loved it! :thumbsup:


Wifey had free tickets to that but we never got around to seeing it.
User avatar
cfimages
Taiwanease Royalty
 
Posts: 3348
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 14:33
Location: Danshui
Has given kudos: 696 times
Has gotten kudos: 915 times

Re: What Are You Watching (Movies) 2018

Postby Kal El » Wed Feb 21, 2018 07:12

cfimages wrote:
Kal El wrote:
As for cinematography, I wonder if you've seen Murder on the Orient Express?


A beautifully made movie with some great actors and acting. Loved it! :thumbsup:


Wifey had free tickets to that but we never got around to seeing it.

Pity! I imagine it would have been beautiful on a big screen. Still, give it a shot at home. I reckon you'll enjoy it.
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Heathen filth, the lot of you.
Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量

These users gave kudos to the author Kal El for the post:
cfimages (Wed Feb 21, 2018 09:27)
User avatar
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity
 
Posts: 6874
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 23:17
Location: 台南, 台灣
Has given kudos: 1202 times
Has gotten kudos: 1141 times

Re: What Are You Watching (Movies) 2018

Postby jimipresley » Mon Mar 05, 2018 16:58

My Oscar predictions were mostly correct:

Actress in a supporting role: Yes
Actor in a supporting role: Yes
Original screenplay: No :bluemad:
Actor in a leading role: Yes
Actress in a leading role: Yes
Director: Yes
Best picture: No :flaming:
Production design: Yes
Cinematography: Yes
Sound editing: Yes
Sound mixing: Yes
Original score: Yes
Visual effects: Yes
Film Editing: Yes
Makeup and hairstyling: Yes

The other categories I didn't make predictions for, 'cause I hadn't seen most of the films.
I haven't put names of films in, in case people want to watch a re-run later. :bow:
Do you ever listen to yourself? - maoman

How clever of you to take an orange and a dog biscuit and build a time machine. - Bunks

Some countries cultivate vast populations of idiots for the purpose of maintaining sham democracies. - Toad
User avatar
jimipresley
Taiwanease Deity
 
Posts: 5438
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 23:34
Location: Picturesque, idyllic Sanchong.
Has given kudos: 2526 times
Has gotten kudos: 1550 times

Re: What Are You Watching (Movies) 2018

Postby Big Vern » Mon Mar 05, 2018 18:08

jimipresley wrote:My Oscar predictions were mostly correct:

Actress in a supporting role: Yes
Actor in a supporting role: Yes
Original screenplay: No :bluemad:
Actor in a leading role: Yes
Actress in a leading role: Yes
Director: Yes
Best picture: No :flaming:
Production design: Yes
Cinematography: Yes
Sound editing: Yes
Sound mixing: Yes
Original score: Yes
Visual effects: Yes
Film Editing: Yes
Makeup and hairstyling: Yes

The other categories I didn't make predictions for, 'cause I hadn't seen most of the films.
I haven't put names of films in, in case people want to watch a re-run later. :bow:


Indeed. Nothing particularly surprised me. According to the Grauniad it was a "battle cry for inclusion and female empowerment". Yeah, that's what makes the difference.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/m ... scars-2018

On the topic of neoliberalism, what whiskey are you selling? I'm not generally a big whiskey drinker, more of a gin man, but I'll have it off you if the price is reasonable. Helps out at CNY with the in-laws.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity
 
Posts: 5176
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:37
Has given kudos: 555 times
Has gotten kudos: 880 times

Re: What Are You Watching (Movies) 2018

Postby jimipresley » Mon Mar 05, 2018 18:33

Big Vern wrote:On the topic of neoliberalism, what whiskey are you selling? I'm not generally a big whiskey drinker, more of a gin man, but I'll have it off you if the price is reasonable. Helps out at CNY with the in-laws.


It's two bottles of horribly expensive Kavalan whisky, gifted to me by a billionaire student of my wife's. Retails for around 10k/bottle. I'm too scared to drink it. :eek:
Do you ever listen to yourself? - maoman

How clever of you to take an orange and a dog biscuit and build a time machine. - Bunks

Some countries cultivate vast populations of idiots for the purpose of maintaining sham democracies. - Toad
User avatar
jimipresley
Taiwanease Deity
 
Posts: 5438
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 23:34
Location: Picturesque, idyllic Sanchong.
Has given kudos: 2526 times
Has gotten kudos: 1550 times

Re: What Are You Watching (Movies) 2018

Postby Big Vern » Mon Mar 05, 2018 19:23

jimipresley wrote:
Big Vern wrote:On the topic of neoliberalism, what whiskey are you selling? I'm not generally a big whiskey drinker, more of a gin man, but I'll have it off you if the price is reasonable. Helps out at CNY with the in-laws.


It's two bottles of horribly expensive Kavalan whisky, gifted to me by a billionaire student of my wife's. Retails for around 10k/bottle. I'm too scared to drink it. :eek:


It's like a whiskey liqueur. Not bad, but I doubt that anyone north of Hadrian's Wall would be interested. Try and flog it online first and if you can't then offer me a fair price and I may take it off your hands.

These users gave kudos to the author Big Vern for the post:
jimipresley (Mon Mar 05, 2018 19:32)
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity
 
Posts: 5176
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:37
Has given kudos: 555 times
Has gotten kudos: 880 times

Re: What Are You Watching (Movies) 2018

Postby Kal El » Mon Mar 05, 2018 22:28

jimipresley wrote:My Oscar predictions were mostly correct:

Actor in a leading role: Yes

Yes! :thumbsup:

jimipresley wrote:Best picture: No :flaming:

:ponder: Really? I can't believe that won best picture. :facepalm:
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Heathen filth, the lot of you.
Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量

These users gave kudos to the author Kal El for the post:
jimipresley (Tue Mar 06, 2018 01:03)
User avatar
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity
 
Posts: 6874
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 23:17
Location: 台南, 台灣
Has given kudos: 1202 times
Has gotten kudos: 1141 times

Re: What Are You Watching (Movies) 2018

Postby jimipresley » Tue Mar 06, 2018 01:06

Kal El wrote: :ponder: Really? I can't believe that won best picture. :facepalm:

Of course. It's Hollywood schmaltz. Remember way back when, when Forrest Gump beat Pulp Fiction? A travesty.
Do you ever listen to yourself? - maoman

How clever of you to take an orange and a dog biscuit and build a time machine. - Bunks

Some countries cultivate vast populations of idiots for the purpose of maintaining sham democracies. - Toad
User avatar
jimipresley
Taiwanease Deity
 
Posts: 5438
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 23:34
Location: Picturesque, idyllic Sanchong.
Has given kudos: 2526 times
Has gotten kudos: 1550 times

Re: What Are You Watching (Movies) 2018

Postby Big Vern » Tue Mar 06, 2018 02:23

jimipresley wrote:
Kal El wrote: :ponder: Really? I can't believe that won best picture. :facepalm:

Of course. It's Hollywood schmaltz. Remember way back when, when Forrest Gump beat Pulp Fiction? A travesty.

Dances With Wolves over Goodfellas. Even worse.

These users gave kudos to the author Big Vern for the post:
jimipresley (Tue Mar 06, 2018 22:00)
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity
 
Posts: 5176
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:37
Has given kudos: 555 times
Has gotten kudos: 880 times

Re: What Are You Watching (Movies) 2018

Postby jimipresley » Tue Mar 06, 2018 21:55

I watched Dunkirk, Darkest Hour and, eventually, Blade Runner 2049, a couple of weeks ago.

Dunkirk

Yeah, I didn't hate it as much as others. The air battle scenes were phenomenal. It really shows how hard it must have been in those days: chasing a bloke around, having to fly the feckin' aeroplane while trying to machine-gun him, when another few blokes are behind you, trying to machine-gun yo ass. Great sound, good editing. A bit too much melodrama for my liking, though. 3/5

Darkest Hour

The accolades have been bestowed upon Oldman, and he deserves them, but what really got me about this film was the cinematography, lighting and editing.
The whole film is basically a bloke ranting into the camera, yet it looks so stylish and beautiful. I thought it was really, really good. 4.5/5

Blade Runner 2049

People hated it. Said it was too long. Even RS said that he would have cut at least 30 minutes from it. I, however, quite enjoyed the brooding intensity and impending gloom. Even though I can't stand looking at Ryan The Baby Goose, it was classy and didn't cater to the lowest common denominator. Beautifully filmed, and well deserving of the cinematography awards. 3.5/5

Watched an oldie on the recommendation of sandman:

The Station Agent

Great characters, great acting.
Whilst not as broken, scarred and damaged as a lot of protagonists in recent movies, the characters are fragile. The potential is there: to head to the pits of despair. Yet their mutual kindness and empathy saves them from the brink of the precipice.
I'm an emotional old fool, I know, but I thought it was a marvelous little film (no pun intended). 4/5

I'm not a big movie fan. I usually find them a bit of a chore that I need to do in order to sound knowledgeable, but there have been some reasonable offerings lately.
Do you ever listen to yourself? - maoman

How clever of you to take an orange and a dog biscuit and build a time machine. - Bunks

Some countries cultivate vast populations of idiots for the purpose of maintaining sham democracies. - Toad
User avatar
jimipresley
Taiwanease Deity
 
Posts: 5438
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 23:34
Location: Picturesque, idyllic Sanchong.
Has given kudos: 2526 times
Has gotten kudos: 1550 times

Re: What Are You Watching (Movies) 2018

Postby Corns » Tue Mar 06, 2018 22:13

Big Vern wrote:
jimipresley wrote:
Kal El wrote: :ponder: Really? I can't believe that won best picture. :facepalm:

Of course. It's Hollywood schmaltz. Remember way back when, when Forrest Gump beat Pulp Fiction? A travesty.

Dances With Wolves over Goodfellas. Even worse.


Yeah, Dances with Wolves has not aged well. That being said, I think one of the motives of the Academy in awarding Dances with Wolves to was to resurrect the Western genre, which has been DOA since Heaven`s Gate in the early 80s (with the acceptation of populist shit such as Silverado and Young Guns).

Named as one of the best and worst films of all time, I actually think HG is better than DWW. Like waaaaay better! Proving that when it comes to great cinema, the masses often have no clue. :lol: :twocents:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heaven%27s_Gate_(film)
Chairman of Overseas Canadians United in Nominating Trump

You're actually a nihilistic sociopath wrapped up in a Canadian flag pretending to be some giant intellect tapping away from a southern French shed.---Broonale
User avatar
Corns
Taiwanease Gentry
 
Posts: 933
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:47
Has given kudos: 129 times
Has gotten kudos: 215 times

Next

Return to Arts & Entertainment