What are you watching (TV - 2018)?

Books, music, films, movies, TV shows, etc. - this is the place for it! A & E topics related to Taiwan or China should be posted in the Culture & History Forum.

Moderator: ThreadKiller

What are you watching (TV - 2018)?

Postby cranky laowai » Thu Jan 18, 2018 15:17

Kal El wrote:
cranky laowai wrote:Star Trek: Discovery

It looks good, and I like the lead. Not yet great, but I'm willing to give it time.

Cranky, I absolutely loved episodes 1 and 2, even with all the PC equal opportunity casting etc, with the exception of us having to buy that two human females could beam onto a Klingon warship and fight Klingon warriors with any measure of success. If one had been Vulcan I could have given it a measure of leeway, but that was meh. Other than that, everything was great. Especially Michelle Yeoh. Pity about her short tenure, though.
So far episodes 3 and 4 have been very meh and have left me wondering, why did they cancel Enterprise? That was an awesome series they fucked up by having to compress 2 or 3 seasons into the final fourth. So yeah, I'll wait and see how it pans out. So far, so "okish".

I'm really enjoying the mirror universe episodes they've been having. :thumbsup:

These users gave kudos to the author cranky laowai for the post:
Icon (Thu Jan 18, 2018 20:08)
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 165 times
Has gotten kudos: 471 times

Re: What are you watching (TV - 2018)?

Postby LostInTaipei » Thu Jan 18, 2018 21:30

cranky laowai wrote:I'm really enjoying the mirror universe episodes they've been having. :thumbsup:

I have certainly never enjoyed a first-season Trek as much as this one. Maybe, just maybe, I liked late-season DS9 more - but it's a tough call.

I'm impressed by how they're handling the Mirror Universe: it's tough to maintain the balance between camp and menace, but so far they're succeeding.
(I'm known as lostinasia over at that other online place.)
LostInTaipei
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 53 times
Has gotten kudos: 160 times

Postby Kal El » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:43

I agree, it's been good so far.

LostInTaipei wrote:I have certainly never enjoyed a first-season Trek as much as this one. Maybe, just maybe, I liked late-season DS9 more - but it's a tough call.

I mostly agree, but I loved the first seasons of Voyager and Enterprise.
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Heathen filth, the lot of you.
Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 1202 times
Has gotten kudos: 1141 times

Postby jimipresley » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:21

Watched the first three episodes of "The Terror". It's quite good.

Actually, it's really good.
Do you ever listen to yourself? - maoman

How clever of you to take an orange and a dog biscuit and build a time machine. - Bunks

Some countries cultivate vast populations of idiots for the purpose of maintaining sham democracies. - Toad
jimipresley
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 2526 times
Has gotten kudos: 1550 times

Postby Kal El » Wed Apr 18, 2018 00:58

jimipresley wrote:Watched the first three episodes of "The Terror". It's quite good.

Actually, it's really good.

Just finished watching it. Excellent from beginning to end. It's a pity it seems there won't be a second season.
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Postby sandman » Wed Apr 18, 2018 13:30

Really want to see this one. Wish there wasn't a monster, though. Just finished reading Shakleton's account of the Endurance and the privations they endured.
sandman
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 313 times
Has gotten kudos: 839 times

Postby Kal El » Thu Apr 19, 2018 08:24

sandman wrote:Really want to see this one. Wish there wasn't a monster, though. Just finished reading Shakleton's account of the Endurance and the privations they endured.

Yeah, the supernatural monster was a bit overboard. A regular polar bear stalking the two crews would have sufficed.
Sir Winston Churchill

Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Postby ThreadKiller » Sat Jun 09, 2018 01:24

The second season of The Handmaid's Tale is as bleak as the first. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

If you want a shorter Margaret Atwood event (basically a mini-series), I'd recommend Alias Grace. I've watched 4 of the 6 episodes and it's pretty good and grim.

"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here." (Melvin Udall)
ThreadKiller
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 1710 times
Has gotten kudos: 911 times

Postby Dragonbones » Mon Jun 11, 2018 14:57

I foolishly allowed someone to convince me to try watching Shadowhunters (S01, E01-2). Ugh.
“To cook for the pleasure of it, to devote a portion of our leisure to it, is to declare our independence from the corporations seeking to organize our every waking moment into yet another occasion for consumption." --Michael Pollan
Dragonbones
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 525 times
Has gotten kudos: 1047 times

Postby Namahottie » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:06

Jealousy Incarnate. K drama. And one of the many bad one's I've come across in awhile. Ugggh.
Namahottie
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 19 times
Has gotten kudos: 10 times

Postby Dragonbones » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:32

For kids out there, there's a new show called Who Was? which does biographies on famous people. It's quite silly and fun and thus suitable for younger kids, and they can learn about Madame Curie, Frida Kahlo etc. while being entertained. :thumbsup:
“To cook for the pleasure of it, to devote a portion of our leisure to it, is to declare our independence from the corporations seeking to organize our every waking moment into yet another occasion for consumption." --Michael Pollan
Dragonbones
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Icon » Thu Jun 14, 2018 22:11

Dragonbones wrote:I foolishly allowed someone to convince me to try watching Shadowhunters (S01, E01-2). Ugh.

3words: Harry Shum Jr.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else
Icon
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 587 times
Has gotten kudos: 855 times

Postby Dragonbones » Fri Jun 15, 2018 09:20

Er, I thought his acting was pretty stiff in the first two episodes. Trying too hard to be cool or tough? Anita says it gets better later.
Dragonbones
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Icon » Fri Jun 15, 2018 22:47

He does not need to act, just stand there and breathe. Preferably if he takes his shirt off while doing it.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else
Icon
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 587 times
Has gotten kudos: 855 times

Postby Kal El » Fri Jun 15, 2018 23:32

Icon wrote:He does not need to act, just stand there and breathe. Preferably if he takes his shirt off while doing it.

I feel the same way about Salma Hayek, Charlotte McKinney and Jessica Biel. :thumbsup: :heart: :heybaby: :lovestruck:
Sir Winston Churchill

Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量

These users gave kudos to the author Kal El for the post:
Icon (Sat Jun 16, 2018 13:56)
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Next

Return to Arts & Entertainment