Happy Year of the Dog

Moderators: maoman, Moderators

Happy Year of the Dog

Postby Icon » Thu Feb 15, 2018 19:09

Woof woof.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else
Icon
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 587 times
Has gotten kudos: 855 times

Re: Happy Year of the Dog

Postby Big Vern » Thu Feb 15, 2018 19:50

My year. Have a good one everyone. Cat pics are banned until next CNY.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 555 times
Has gotten kudos: 880 times

Postby Dragonbones » Sat Feb 17, 2018 08:22

Happy Lunar New Year, all! We had nice weather the past two days, got a chance to stroll through the cherry trees in Donghu. Our landlord is part of a group that has been planting them over the years in Donghu, starting at Lohas Park, and leading down to the Neigou stream 內溝溪, and along it. Directions here: http://luomujie.blogspot.tw/2016/02/Tai ... uPark.html. We saw a gorgeous cui4niao3 kingfisher there, with a shimmering, iridescent blue back yesterday.
“To cook for the pleasure of it, to devote a portion of our leisure to it, is to declare our independence from the corporations seeking to organize our every waking moment into yet another occasion for consumption." --Michael Pollan

These users gave kudos to the author Dragonbones for the post:
Icon (Sat Feb 17, 2018 18:53)
Dragonbones
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 525 times
Has gotten kudos: 1047 times

Postby Icon » Sat Feb 17, 2018 18:55

Bobby and I have been also sakura hunting in Xindian. Following the old trees on the inner alleys and older neighbourhoods, ee found out that the ditch we have by our house goes all the way to Bitan and ends up in what looks like a malecón or a small dock. Really cool.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else
Icon
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Big Vern » Sat Feb 17, 2018 20:24

I'm stuck in Beigang in Yunlin County and for some reason all the stores have decided to stop stocking tonic water this year. The mother of all shit holes just got worse. I'm counting the seconds before the traffic jam home. Joy.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Icon » Sat Feb 17, 2018 20:28

Big Vern wrote:I'm stuck in Beigang in Yunlin County and for some reason all the stores have decided to stop stocking tonic water this year. The mother of all shit holes just got worse. I'm counting the seconds before the traffic jam home. Joy.

My boss is over there too. I will get some ma jiu when she comes back. I have visited the place and that is as good as it gets.
Icon
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Big Vern » Sat Feb 17, 2018 20:33

Icon wrote:
Big Vern wrote:I'm stuck in Beigang in Yunlin County and for some reason all the stores have decided to stop stocking tonic water this year. The mother of all shit holes just got worse. I'm counting the seconds before the traffic jam home. Joy.

My boss is over there too. I will get some ma jiu when she comes back. I have visited the place and that is as good as it gets.

OK, it does have a few good points. The temple's worth a visit. Without a numbing g & t it gets tough after 3 days.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Toad » Sat Feb 17, 2018 22:50

That's funny: we had tonic water and no gin. And lots of those weird Taiwanese sweets that aren't sweets.
Toad
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 972 times
Has gotten kudos: 707 times

Postby Big Vern » Sat Feb 17, 2018 22:55

Toad wrote:

That's funny: we had tonic water and no gin. And lots of those weird Taiwanese sweets that aren't sweets.

If you listen carefully, you can hear the gods laughing.

These users gave kudos to the author Big Vern for the post (total 2):
shiadoa (Sun Feb 18, 2018 02:58) • Toad (Sun Feb 18, 2018 00:34)
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Postby cranky laowai » Mon Feb 19, 2018 20:36

In the old days (which for me means more than 20 years ago), even Taipei would be a ghost town during CNY. But this New Year's day I went walking about sunny(!) Banqiao, quietly bemoaning that so many stores were open and so many cars were about. There just doesn't seem to be much CNY feeling anymore, I thought. :grandpa:

Over by the Banqiao District Office, though, I spotted lots of people in line. Wondering what the line was, I walked to what I thought was the front ... only to see that the line went around the corner as well ... and all the way down the block ... and around the next corner ... and all the way down the next block ... and around the next corner ... and down the street ... and into an underpass ... and up the other side of the street ... and around another corner ... and down the street ... and over to a temple, where people were being given NT$10 each after passing underneath what I think is Mazu's palanquin. It was the longest line I've ever seen in Taiwan, and I've seen some doozies.

Someone told me that people had started lining up about four in the morning.

My faith in CNY feeling was restored. :bow:

These users gave kudos to the author cranky laowai for the post (total 3):
Just Jennifer (Mon Feb 19, 2018 22:59) • Icon (Mon Feb 19, 2018 20:54) • jimipresley (Mon Feb 19, 2018 20:40)
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 165 times
Has gotten kudos: 471 times

Return to Community Announcements