Female comedy suitable for young girl

Books, music, films, movies, TV shows, etc. - this is the place for it! A & E topics related to Taiwan or China should be posted in the Culture & History Forum.

Moderator: ThreadKiller

Female comedy suitable for young girl

Postby Big Vern » Sat Feb 24, 2018 22:14

I've introduced my 7 year old daughter to a selected amount of male comedy such as Monty Python and Peter Sellers. However, I'm struggling to think of any suitable female comedy. I looked at Smack the Pony and French and Saunders but they didn't seem to work. Does anyone have any ideas? I feel like it's important that she gets some quality female comedy, but too much of it is about menstruation, sex, or celebrities.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity
 
Posts: 5175
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:37
Has given kudos: 555 times
Has gotten kudos: 880 times

Re: Female comedy suitable for young girl

Postby zender » Mon Feb 26, 2018 18:40

Try some old I Love Lucy clips or maybe The Carol Burnett Show.

These users gave kudos to the author zender for the post:
Big Vern (Mon Feb 26, 2018 18:43)
zender
Taiwanease Gentry
 
Posts: 128
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 00:17
Has given kudos: 44 times
Has gotten kudos: 57 times

Re: Female comedy suitable for young girl

Postby Big Vern » Mon Feb 26, 2018 18:47

zender wrote:Try some old I Love Lucy clips or maybe The Carol Burnett Show.


That's a good idea. As a limey I'm not too knowledgeable about American comediennes. It may be my fault for only introducing her to one type of humour, but she prefers word-play slightly surreal gags usually based around bodily functions. For example, she can quote pretty much the entire "I fart in your general direction" bit from the Holy Grail with an outrageous accent.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity
 
Posts: 5175
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:37
Has given kudos: 555 times
Has gotten kudos: 880 times

Re: Female comedy suitable for young girl

Postby jimipresley » Mon Feb 26, 2018 18:52

I don't have any suggestions, but British toilet humour? Urgh.
Do you ever listen to yourself? - maoman

How clever of you to take an orange and a dog biscuit and build a time machine. - Bunks

Some countries cultivate vast populations of idiots for the purpose of maintaining sham democracies. - Toad
User avatar
jimipresley
Taiwanease Deity
 
Posts: 5438
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 23:34
Location: Picturesque, idyllic Sanchong.
Has given kudos: 2526 times
Has gotten kudos: 1550 times

Re: Female comedy suitable for young girl

Postby Big Vern » Mon Feb 26, 2018 19:11

jimipresley wrote:I don't have any suggestions, but British toilet humour? Urgh.

It's about 90% of British humour. The remaining 10% being misplaced arrogant superiority and visual gags.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity
 
Posts: 5175
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:37
Has given kudos: 555 times
Has gotten kudos: 880 times


Return to Arts & Entertainment