Kymco GP or other small 125cc recommendations?

Cars, motorcycles, and scooters in Taiwan. Here's where the greasemonkeys and gearheads talk shop. Oh, and if you're looking to buy a used car, check out the vehicle listings at www.taiwanted.com.

Kymco GP or other small 125cc recommendations?

Postby driftwork » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:46

I drive a Yamaha Cygnus 125cc.

My wife finds that its just too big (wide) and uncomfortable to drive.

Unfortunately, Yamaha has done away with all of its smaller 125cc models.

As a result, we're just about to pull the trigger on the Kymco GP.

Its much smaller, cheaper and thinner than the larger 12inch tire offerings (G6 / Cygnus / etc...)

Does anyone have a problem with the Kymco GP? Is there something that I don't know about this scooter?

Is there another smaller 125cc scooter (from Kymco or another company) that anyone can recommend?

Thanks
driftwork
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 0 time
Has gotten kudos: 0 time

Re: Kymco GP or other small 125cc recommendations?

Postby Kal El » Wed Mar 14, 2018 13:04

You can't really go wrong with Kymco. Made in Taiwan, therefore very affordable with not shortage of parts or extras. Also, well made, easy to repair/maintain and very reliable.

Edit: Take one for a test drive and do the same for a few other models. See how they drive and fit you and the missus.
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Heathen filth, the lot of you.
Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 1215 times
Has gotten kudos: 1154 times

Postby SlowRain » Wed Mar 14, 2018 13:43

I have some friends wanting to buy a basic 125cc scooter, and they're thinking of Kymco, too. The only real downside is that the base-price model of the GP 125 doesn't have disc brakes. It's also a bit small if a taller person wants to ride it or double on it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the next one up is the X-Sense, which sits higher up for taller people.

My wife & I both have Kymco scooters, and they've been pretty problem-free. Just regular maintenance & normal wear and tear.
SlowRain
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 84 times
Has gotten kudos: 37 times

Postby driftwork » Wed Mar 14, 2018 14:57

Thanks guys. My wife and I are pretty short so I'm not entirely flat footed riding the Cygnus. The GP seems the right fit. I was thinking of the Kymco VJR but it seems a little fancy for our needs.
driftwork
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby Kal El » Wed Mar 14, 2018 23:13

SlowRain wrote:I have some friends wanting to buy a basic 125cc scooter, and they're thinking of Kymco, too. The only real downside is that the base-price model of the GP 125 doesn't have disc brakes. It's also a bit small if a taller person wants to ride it or double on it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the next one up is the X-Sense, which sits higher up for taller people.

My wife & I both have Kymco scooters, and they've been pretty problem-free. Just regular maintenance & normal wear and tear.

Well, if you want to go there (i.e. opening up the discussion) ...

I've had a Kymco Racing King (180cc) for a little over two years now. Super commuter. Best scooter I've ever had. Totally sweet ride. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Postby SlowRain » Wed Mar 14, 2018 23:22

Kal El wrote:
SlowRain wrote:I have some friends wanting to buy a basic 125cc scooter, and they're thinking of Kymco, too. The only real downside is that the base-price model of the GP 125 doesn't have disc brakes. It's also a bit small if a taller person wants to ride it or double on it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the next one up is the X-Sense, which sits higher up for taller people.

I've had a Kymco Racing King (180cc) for a little over two years now. Super commuter. Best scooter I've ever had. Totally sweet ride. [emoji106] [emoji106] [emoji106] [emoji106] [emoji106]
Yeah, I have the Racing King 180, too (175cc). I have no complaints with it. I was just wondering about a more basic Kymco for them.
SlowRain
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 84 times
Has gotten kudos: 37 times

Postby Kal El » Thu Mar 15, 2018 07:26

SlowRain wrote:
Kal El wrote:

I've had a Kymco Racing King (180cc) for a little over two years now. Super commuter. Best scooter I've ever had. Totally sweet ride. [emoji106] [emoji106] [emoji106] [emoji106] [emoji106]
Yeah, I have the Racing King 180, too (175cc). I have no complaints with it. I was just wondering about a more basic Kymco for them.

I remember, I got my Racing King largely because your suggestion. :thumbsup:
Sir Winston Churchill

Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Kal El » Thu Mar 15, 2018 07:50

Just wondering, what 125cc model does the Aeon have? They seem small and decent enough. Also, the new Yamaha BWS comes in 125cc and looks decent, right?
Sir Winston Churchill

Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Postby driftwork » Thu Mar 15, 2018 08:08

Most scooters with 12 inch wheels - and certainly the Kymco Racing King etc.. are simply too large for my wife to use as a practical city scooter. For a household, I think having a larger scooter and a smaller 125cc like the GP provides a good combination. I would have rather spent a bit more on a Yamaha Ray or GTR for my wife but they have been discontinued. The BWS is certainly too tall. If I had a job where I was commuting a slightly longer distance outside of the city, I'd probably get a Yamaha Force. However using a 150cc-180cc scooter comes with parking difficulties. The Yamaha Force and S-Max series scooters are brutal to park.
driftwork
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby Kal El » Thu Mar 15, 2018 13:24

I saw a dainty looking PGO today. Looked like a 125. :idunno:
Sir Winston Churchill

Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Return to Cars, Scooters, and Driving in Taiwan