Kindle 2018 questions

Keep up with technology today - check out the Tech forum at Taiwaneasia!

Kindle 2018 questions

Postby Dragonbones » Fri Mar 23, 2018 15:27

There are a few threads that are 5-7 years old on this, and people mentioned some difficulties with getting these shipped here, getting the ebooks for them and so on. I'm wondering whether anyone can offer basic advice. Dragonbabe has asked for an e-reader, and I'm leaning toward a Kindle Paperwhite ( Wi-Fi ($120 ad-supported, $140 no ads) ) for the lighting function, but don't really understand what configuration to order, and whether it's easy to get ebooks for it here in Taiwan. I don't want to go much over US$120, fwiw.

1. How does one get the books, if in Taiwan? Will the Wi-Fi-only option work here?

Amazon says "A Kindle with Wi-Fi + Free Cellular Connectivity built-in option enables you to shop and download thousands of titles on the go anywhere there is an AT&T cellular connection in the US, plus roaming in 100+ countries without an additional charge for wireless data." So does that mean she can just use it in Taiwan to download wirelessly? Or will she have to use her PC to get books via the internet? (We have a wi-fi hub at home for our HiNet internet connection.) It adds "If you choose the Wi-Fi Only option, you'll be able to shop and download titles when connected to an available Wi-Fi network" but it doesn't say whether that will work abroad, like here.

2. Can they read all ebook files downloaded from other sources?

3. Can people trade the ebook files or is a purchase specifically readable only on one registered reader?

4. If I choose the 'ship unregistered', does she then have to somehow register the device with Amazon to purchase ebooks online from them for it? And if I choose the 'ship registered to me', does that mean only I and not she can purchase ebooks on Amazon for it?

Any other advice? I'm not even sure what questions I should be asking. Thanks in advance for any help!
“To cook for the pleasure of it, to devote a portion of our leisure to it, is to declare our independence from the corporations seeking to organize our every waking moment into yet another occasion for consumption." --Michael Pollan
Dragonbones
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 535 times
Has gotten kudos: 1053 times

Re: Kindle 2018 questions

Postby Toad » Fri Mar 23, 2018 15:38

I have an older model, bought in the UK, so treat this advice with caution:

1a) Will the Wi-Fi-only option work here?
Yes.

1b) So does that mean she can just use it in Taiwan to download wirelessly? Or will she have to use her PC to get books via the internet?
I used to have one with the cellular modem option and it worked in several different countries.

2) Can they read all ebook files downloaded from other sources?
Yes and no. You'd best check for the latest supported file formats, but some are supported as-is (PDF for example) and some can be converted to native Kindle format. Amazon also have a feature whereby you can mail documents to your kindle; they get converted automatically.

3. Can people trade the ebook files or is a purchase specifically readable only on one registered reader?
No. This is the main downside of Kindle ebooks. It is, frankly, a bit crap, considering that paper books can be passed around without restrictions. You can read the same ebook on up to four readers registered to your Amazon account.

These users gave kudos to the author Toad for the post (total 2):
jimipresley (Sun Mar 25, 2018 15:56) • Dragonbones (Fri Mar 23, 2018 15:50)
Toad
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 1004 times
Has gotten kudos: 710 times

Postby cfimages » Fri Mar 23, 2018 16:09

I've got a Paperwhite.

1) Yes, wi-fi works. If I get books from Amazon, I typically use my PC to order it on the Amazon site, and then connect my Kindle to the home wifi to actually receive it. You can shop directly from the Kindle but I prefer browsing the proper website on a computer.

2) There's a free ebook management program called Calibre that will convert any formats into stuff Kindle can read, typically a format called mobi. Many ebooks come in a format called epub. Kindle doesn't like that, but an epub to mobi conversion in Calibre is easy and takes 10-20 seconds per book.

3) I don't know if the if's available in Taiwan or not, but local libraries often have ebook loans. I'm not sure how it works though. Ebooks that you didn't buy from Amazon can typically be traded easily.

4) Ship unregistered means she'll just need to log into her own Amazon account the first time she uses the device to register it to her. I'm not sure how it'd work if it were shipped registered to you. It likely would mean that any ebooks bought on Amazon would have to be from your account not hers. But I think you can deregister a Kindle then register it again from a new account.

These users gave kudos to the author cfimages for the post (total 4):
SuperS54 (Mon Mar 26, 2018 14:57) • jimipresley (Sun Mar 25, 2018 15:56) • Toad (Fri Mar 23, 2018 20:42) • Dragonbones (Fri Mar 23, 2018 16:15)
cfimages
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 702 times
Has gotten kudos: 923 times

Postby Dragonbones » Fri Mar 23, 2018 16:29

Many thanks, guys! Now I just have to decide whether to try to buy one here or ship from Amazon. Calibre sounds great, thanks! Yeah, I found out you can deregister a Kindle then register it again from a new account.

I am still curious as to whether libraries here have ebook loans. Does anyone know?

BTW I checked the paperback prices of the Hunger Games (just as an example) and they're the same as the Kindle version price (except for shipping). I prefer the paperback because you can pass them to others, and they don't vanish if a device dies -- but she wants to be able to read in bed after the boys fall asleep, without turning on the lights. Cfimages, how do you like the lighting on the Paperwhite? Also, I assume the 4GB is plenty for a few hundred books, right?
“To cook for the pleasure of it, to devote a portion of our leisure to it, is to declare our independence from the corporations seeking to organize our every waking moment into yet another occasion for consumption." --Michael Pollan
Dragonbones
Taiwanease Deity

Postby cfimages » Fri Mar 23, 2018 16:49

Dragonbones wrote:Many thanks, guys! Now I just have to decide whether to try to buy one here or ship from Amazon. Calibre sounds great, thanks! Yeah, I found out you can deregister a Kindle then register it again from a new account.

I am still curious as to whether libraries here have ebook loans. Does anyone know?

BTW I checked the paperback prices of the Hunger Games (just as an example) and they're the same as the Kindle version price (except for shipping). I prefer the paperback because you can pass them to others, and they don't vanish if a device dies -- but she wants to be able to read in bed after the boys fall asleep, without turning on the lights. Cfimages, how do you like the lighting on the Paperwhite? Also, I assume the 4GB is plenty for a few hundred books, right?
The lighting is fine, it has different levels although I've never tried it when it's the only lighting. I'll give it a try tonight after dark and let you know.

4gb is more than enough for probably a few years worth of reading.

Bestsellers and books from famous authors tend to cost about the same whether they're paper or Kindle. It's only when you get into the less famous people and independent writers that ebook prices tend to be a lot lower.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
cfimages
Taiwanease Royalty

Postby Dragonbones » Fri Mar 23, 2018 20:05

cfimages wrote:The lighting is fine, it has different levels although I've never tried it when it's the only lighting. I'll give it a try tonight after dark and let you know.

Yes, please!
Dragonbones
Taiwanease Deity

Postby cfimages » Fri Mar 23, 2018 20:29

Dragonbones wrote:
cfimages wrote:The lighting is fine, it has different levels although I've never tried it when it's the only lighting. I'll give it a try tonight after dark and let you know.

Yes, please!

Ok, just tried and it's fine in an otherwise fully dark room. Because it's not backlit like a phone, you can look at it for much longer without eye strain, and the light itself is fairly concentrated and doesn't spill - one of the cats was about a foot away from me and wasn't getting lit by it.

These users gave kudos to the author cfimages for the post (total 2):
jimipresley (Sun Mar 25, 2018 15:56) • Dragonbones (Fri Mar 23, 2018 20:58)
cfimages
Taiwanease Royalty

Postby Toad » Fri Mar 23, 2018 20:44

Also worth mentioning that Calibre gives you access to a whole bunch of free publications, eg., the Economist. Or at least it did the last time I used it. AFAIK this is completely legal (they're not ripoff copies - they stream direct from the publisher's website).

These users gave kudos to the author Toad for the post (total 3):
Just Jennifer (Mon Mar 26, 2018 01:37) • jimipresley (Sun Mar 25, 2018 15:57) • Dragonbones (Fri Mar 23, 2018 20:58)
Toad
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Postby Dragonbones » Fri Mar 23, 2018 20:59

Very cool, thanks, guys!
Dragonbones
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Bu Lai En » Sat Mar 24, 2018 16:10

I'd like to add that I have one without lighting, and I really like it.

Don't be worried about sharing books. You can. They're not encrypted for your kindle or anything. You can copy files back and forth to and from your computer. You can also load on books from your computer that are from sources other than Amazon. As cf said, if the format's wrong, use Calibre. Of course, there may be legal restrictions in some cases, I guess.

Despite your Hunger Games experience, most books I've come across seem to be significantly cheaper than the paper version. Not dirt cheap, but maybe half-price or so (ish).

I had no problem ordering mine from Amazon about 2 years ago. The only thing is that someone from the courier company customs clearance will contact you for a signature to clear customs because of the battery or something. It's simple enough.

You have to register your Kindle to use it. You just sign on with your Amazon account. It's actually good because you can access your wishlist, download free samples and stuff, as well as just buying a book and having it there instantly (if you have wifi) should you so require.

These users gave kudos to the author Bu Lai En for the post (total 3):
Just Jennifer (Mon Mar 26, 2018 01:37) • jimipresley (Sun Mar 25, 2018 15:57) • Dragonbones (Sat Mar 24, 2018 20:19)
Bu Lai En
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 155 times
Has gotten kudos: 229 times

Postby LostInTaipei » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:37

On pricing: if you're buying and having books shipped to an address in the United States, then the prices aren't that different. But versus buying books in Taiwan (whether buying them at a local shop - and good luck finding them! - or having them shipped via Amazon), the Kindle prices are usually much cheaper.

A complication I don't understand: your "region" for the Kindle. I'm using a Taiwanese credit card, but my Kindle is registered in Canada, and I shop on Amazon.com (not amazon.ca). This means the prices are confusing: I'll see one thing when I first search for a book on the amazon website, but then when I click through to the book's Kindle edition, the price will be different. Availability is also different - sometimes there won't be a Kindle edition. This used to be a big problem; I encounter it less often these days. Amazon keeps trying to get me to change to amazon.ca, but amazon.ca doesn't offer Kindle newspaper subscriptions, so I don't want to do that.

Note that the e-books are not tied to your device. They're connected to your Amazon account. I'll be reading the same book on my Kindle, iPad, and iPhone (and computer if I want), with the book syncing to the correct place (well 90% of the time it syncs). For that matter, my parents are also logged in to my account and I buy plenty of books for them that way, although that's probably violating terms of service. If you lose your device, you simply deauthorize it, and the books can be downloaded to your new device.
(I'm known as lostinasia over at that other online place.)

These users gave kudos to the author LostInTaipei for the post (total 3):
Dragonbones (Mon Mar 26, 2018 09:28) • Just Jennifer (Mon Mar 26, 2018 01:35) • jimipresley (Sun Mar 25, 2018 15:57)
LostInTaipei
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 53 times
Has gotten kudos: 160 times

Postby Bu Lai En » Sun Mar 25, 2018 15:16

BTW, buy a nice case for it. They look a bit cheap without, but really nice with a good case. Plus I can balance mine on my chest while reading in bed. Bonus!

Here's the one I got:

https://24h.pchome.com.tw/prod/DYAP3O-A9006C3KH

These users gave kudos to the author Bu Lai En for the post:
Dragonbones (Mon Mar 26, 2018 14:22)
Bu Lai En
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 155 times
Has gotten kudos: 229 times

Postby jimipresley » Sun Mar 25, 2018 15:55

Excellent thread, excellent posts. Thank you, Toad, cfimages, Bu Lai En and LostinTaipei for educating me on something I, too, have been interested in. :orz: :bravo:
Do you ever listen to yourself? - maoman

How clever of you to take an orange and a dog biscuit and build a time machine. - Bunks

Some countries cultivate vast populations of idiots for the purpose of maintaining sham democracies. - Toad
jimipresley
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 2539 times
Has gotten kudos: 1574 times

Postby cranky laowai » Sun Mar 25, 2018 21:18

LostInTaipei wrote:On pricing: if you're buying and having books shipped to an address in the United States, then the prices aren't that different. But versus buying books in Taiwan (whether buying them at a local shop - and good luck finding them! - or having them shipped via Amazon), the Kindle prices are usually much cheaper.

A complication I don't understand: your "region" for the Kindle. I'm using a Taiwanese credit card, but my Kindle is registered in Canada, and I shop on Amazon.com (not amazon.ca). This means the prices are confusing: I'll see one thing when I first search for a book on the amazon website, but then when I click through to the book's Kindle edition, the price will be different. Availability is also different - sometimes there won't be a Kindle edition. This used to be a big problem; I encounter it less often these days. Amazon keeps trying to get me to change to amazon.ca, but amazon.ca doesn't offer Kindle newspaper subscriptions, so I don't want to do that.

My understanding (which may be wrong) is that Kindle book pricing -- and to some degree even availability -- is based upon the billing address of the credit card you use to purchase things from Amazon with. Using a TW card will probably cost you more than using a U.S. one.

I use a card with a U.S. address.

Of course you can also buy directly from many publishers.

Oh, FWIW, for nicely formatted, free, classic works, try the University of Adelaide's e-book's site. Unless you need a very specific edition of a book, this site and not Amazon should be your first go-to for any well-known work published prior to the twentieth century. Unfortunately, nothing has been added in more than a year. But there's still plenty to keep anyone occupied.

These users gave kudos to the author cranky laowai for the post (total 2):
Dragonbones (Mon Mar 26, 2018 14:22) • Just Jennifer (Mon Mar 26, 2018 01:37)
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 171 times
Has gotten kudos: 499 times

Postby Toad » Sun Mar 25, 2018 21:32

cranky laowai wrote:On pricing: if you're buying and having books shipped to an address in the United States, then the prices aren't that different. But versus buying books in Taiwan (whether buying them at a Oh, FWIW, for nicely formatted, free, classic works, try the University of Adelaide's e-book's site. Unless you need a very specific edition of a book, this site and not Amazon should be your first go-to for any well-known work published prior to the twentieth century. Unfortunately, nothing has been added in more than a year. But there's still plenty to keep anyone occupied.

Delphi Classics also publish a lot on Amazon for a $ or two. It's often worth that much just for the convenience of an instant download. I just got the complete works of Samuel Johnson for one pound something.

These users gave kudos to the author Toad for the post:
Dragonbones (Mon Mar 26, 2018 14:22)
Toad
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Next

Return to Technology