Moving to Taiwan Question about schools for kids

Taiwan Forums at Taiwanease can make your life in Taiwan easier.

Moderator: ThreadKiller

Moving to Taiwan Question about schools for kids

Postby Taiwan101 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 15:54

Hi,

I want to take sabbatical in Taiwan, and I would like my kids to be able to attend a public kindergarten / primary school. I don't want to work as I have the means not
to. My question is what sort of visa can we get so that we have access to medical and access to public schools for the kids?
If really needed I could do a few hours teaching I suppose. The other option is that we to study Chinese at a language school. Do the children of student visa holders qualify for access to public schools, kindergartens?
Also where in Taiwan should we go? I was thinking Yilan or somewhere cheap but nice.

Many thanks for any information hints etc I really appreciate it.

T101 :smile:
Taiwan101
Learning the ropes

Has given kudos: 0 time
Has gotten kudos: 0 time

Re: Moving to Taiwan Question about schools for kids

Postby Dragonbones » Wed Apr 11, 2018 09:41

I don't think you could get enrolled in NHI on a tourist visa. I know you can if on a working visa.

I don't know what the situation is for a couple who are both foreigners when it comes to enrolling in the public schools; our kid is homeschooled but 'enrolled' via the local primary school based on my Taiwanese wife's household registration document, which as foreigners you won't have. I suggest contacting the NHI program and school system with these questions.

Edit: I asked a couple who are both foreigners here on ARCs (his, work based; and hers, based on marriage to him), and they are homeschooling, which requires enrolling at the primary school closest to the address on their ARCs as far as I know. So based on this, it seems you can enroll your kids if you have an ARC. :idunno:

Yilan is nice but you won't have brick-and-mortar access to the wide variety of goods (including foreign) available in Taibei. If you're fluent in Chinese you can get a lot of stuff sent by mail or courier through online shopping, though. But not having a local ID# may get in the way sometimes.
“To cook for the pleasure of it, to devote a portion of our leisure to it, is to declare our independence from the corporations seeking to organize our every waking moment into yet another occasion for consumption." --Michael Pollan
Dragonbones
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 525 times
Has gotten kudos: 1047 times

Postby Taiwan101 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 09:47

thanks,
I was wondering if I can get enrolled on student visa in NHI and school, I am on the mainland a literally all Taiwan government websites are blocked...
Taiwan101
Learning the ropes

Postby Dragonbones » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:11

Also see what I added in the 'edit' above.

The NHI website Q&A says "Foreign students with Alien Residence Certificates that are staying in Taiwan for more than 6 months can bring the Alien Residence Certificate to the Office of International Student Service for enrollment. " and "NHI covers not just Taiwanese, but all the foreigners with the Alien Residence Certificate in Taiwan. If you come to Taiwan as an employee with a working permit and a residence permit, you can join the NHI as soon as you start work in Taiwan; no waiting period. In this case, your employer is responsible for your enrollment."
“To cook for the pleasure of it, to devote a portion of our leisure to it, is to declare our independence from the corporations seeking to organize our every waking moment into yet another occasion for consumption." --Michael Pollan
Dragonbones
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Taiwan101 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:27

thanks for the infor that is really helpful.
So a student visa gives access to all schools & NHI
Taiwan101
Learning the ropes

Postby Dragonbones » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:15

Taiwan101 wrote:thanks for the infor that is really helpful.

Not sure about 'all schools'; there might be limits on government kindy due to very limited seating there, and locals would probably be given priority, especially in kindy. Perhaps others can clarify?
Dragonbones
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Big Vern » Wed Apr 11, 2018 18:37

Dragonbones wrote:
Taiwan101 wrote:thanks for the infor that is really helpful.

Not sure about 'all schools'; there might be limits on government kindy due to very limited seating there, and locals would probably be given priority, especially in kindy. Perhaps others can clarify?

IME home owners in the catchment area are given precedence for school entry at all levels. Having said that, the low birth rate makes it easier for renters.

It is very difficult to get into a government kindy on account of the teachers being highly educated and the fees being around 3000NTD a month. Low income families and other special interest groups get first dibs, after that it's a lottery that the OP won't win. A Chinese only kindy at around 12000NTD a month would be the likely outcome.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 555 times
Has gotten kudos: 880 times

Postby Dragonbones » Wed Apr 11, 2018 20:31

Taiwan101, I also want to clarify that I don't have clear, reliable first-hand info -- I waited until 70 views of your OP piled up, with no responses, hoping someone could give you reliable info, before trying to help with what limited info I could gather.

These users gave kudos to the author Dragonbones for the post:
maoman (Fri Apr 13, 2018 06:43)
Dragonbones
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Taiwan101 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 20:38

thanks Dragonbones, I really appreciate it, what you write has been most helpful
Taiwan101
Learning the ropes

Postby Kal El » Thu Apr 12, 2018 08:05

You might want to consider Tainan or Kaohsiung. :twocents:
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Heathen filth, the lot of you.
Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 1202 times
Has gotten kudos: 1141 times

Return to Living in Taiwan