Slugs on my cauliflower

Taiwaneasia has its own community of gastronomic aficionados. Join us for useful discussions about food, recipes, and nutrition.

Moderator: Dragonbones

Slugs on my cauliflower

Postby Icon » Mon Apr 30, 2018 00:39

Just a question here. I buy organic produce and I occasionally find living moving protein, like worms. Wash and cool is what I usually do. However, tonight I found a fat watermelon seed size slug between my cauliflower florets. There were also some of his smaller family and friends. Veggie was purchased on Saturday.

I was thinking of bringing the matter to the store but am I being too sensitive?
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else
Icon
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 591 times
Has gotten kudos: 855 times

Re: Slugs on my cauliflower

Postby Big Vern » Mon Apr 30, 2018 08:08

You can't have your slug and eat it. If you choose organic then you're going to get organic. Also, I'd worry that if you complain the store might start spraying the veg with pesticides.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 556 times
Has gotten kudos: 884 times

Postby cranky laowai » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:18

I was expecting this to be one of those obscure blues metaphors.

Got slugs on my cauliflower, a purple dog on my windowsill
I say I've got slugs on my cauliflower, baby, and a purple dog on my windowsill
Without you here, honey child, there just ain't no thrill

:grin:

These users gave kudos to the author cranky laowai for the post (total 4):
Toad (Fri May 04, 2018 20:53) • Just Jennifer (Tue May 01, 2018 00:25) • cfimages (Mon Apr 30, 2018 14:21) • sandman (Mon Apr 30, 2018 13:10)
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 167 times
Has gotten kudos: 480 times

Postby sandman » Mon Apr 30, 2018 13:19

If I had a purple dog on MY windowsill... just sayin', is all. Icon, we used to pick giant field mushrooms in my dad's garden. Size of a dinner plate. My mum would cook them in butter and the heat would bring the bugs out. She just used to scoop them out. Sometimes. Other times, we kids would just consume them willy-nilly. Of course, we didn't know they were bugs. And mum never told us until years later. But that was then, in the 1960s. Last time at their place in Scotland, me, Jojo, Anton Whittle, Jaqueline Gouldborne and Sandy Wee gathered a couple of huge carrier bags of chanterelles, which also contained bugs. We had them for breakfast and later, in a stew of wild goose and venison sausage. Its all protein.
sandman
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 314 times
Has gotten kudos: 840 times

Return to Gourmet & Gourmand