Changing foreign currency

Welcome to the Open Forum - the discussion forum for topics that don't quite fit anywhere else. Fair warning: Posts may be moved at the moderators' discretion to a more appropriate forum. Posts that are especially silly will probably end up in either the Fun and Games Forum or the Flounder Forum.

Moderator: jimipresley

Changing foreign currency

Postby jimsy » Fri May 25, 2018 14:50

Hi Guys,

New to the forum.

I've just moved to Taipei, and want to change GBP, HKD or RMB to Taiwan Dollars. I've been surprised by the lack of money changers here, and the not stellar rates at banks. I went in person to the (supposedly legal) changer on Shi-Da Road, but the next time I called ahead to find a rate, but they got all strange, said they don't provide money changing services, then abruptly hung up. The time I went in person, they also said they do not accept GBP.

Does any one have any advice on where to change GBP? Or any advice on anywhere with good rates? If anyone is going home/ holiday and wants to swap one of those three currencies with me, I'd be happy to do that for whatever the XE.com rate is.

Thanks in advance!
jimsy
2nd post! You're back for more!

Has given kudos: 0 time
Has gotten kudos: 0 time

Re: Changing foreign currency

Postby sandman » Fri May 25, 2018 15:00

Go to the bank. But be warned, even most banks here will not accept British currency. I have around 8,000 pounds that they won't change because the notes are "too old."
sandman
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 317 times
Has gotten kudos: 845 times

Postby cfimages » Fri May 25, 2018 15:09

Go to the Bank of Taiwan. They typically do just about everything. If not them, then just go to either Taipei or Taoyuan airports and use one of the banks there.
cfimages
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 700 times
Has gotten kudos: 922 times

Postby jimsy » Fri May 25, 2018 16:59

Thanks! I shall try. Went to Hua Nan earlier, and same, no way to change cash GBP, only via transfer.
jimsy
2nd post! You're back for more!

Has given kudos: 0 time
Has gotten kudos: 0 time

Return to Open Forum