5 weeks pregnant & what now?

What is going to happen to me over the next nine months? What is it like to be pregnant in Taiwan? Pregnancy questions, birth stories and other topics relevant to this special time in your life.

Moderator: Just Jennifer

5 weeks pregnant & what now?

Postby Charlotte » Wed May 30, 2018 21:19

I am 5 weeks pregnant and I know the basic things of having to go to the doctor etc. Except I know we need to choose our own here. Back home we wouldn’t get the choice so much so I am overwhelmed with where to choose. These posts seemed to be a little out dated & not so specific with names. If any advice on which hospital is good, I would appreciate it so much. I’m feeling a little lost.

What’s the procedure of pregnancy in Taiwan? When’s the first scan and how often must you visit?
Charlotte
2nd post! You're back for more!

Has given kudos: 0 time
Has gotten kudos: 1 time

Re: 5 weeks pregnant & what now?

Postby Dragonbones » Wed May 30, 2018 22:11

Charlotte, first, congratulations, and also, welcome to the forum! Second, I recommend you post in just one location, e.g. the Pregnant in Taipei...looking for advice thread, but the moderator of this forum area can guide you better on that, and might merge these threads. Finally, Taipei is huge! Giving a little more information on your location may help others help you better. We felt during our two pregnancies that choosing a good doctor and hospital within a convenient travel distance was important too, and when it turned out that my wife had to stay in the hospital for weeks on end, this was invaluable.
“To cook for the pleasure of it, to devote a portion of our leisure to it, is to declare our independence from the corporations seeking to organize our every waking moment into yet another occasion for consumption." --Michael Pollan
Dragonbones
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 535 times
Has gotten kudos: 1053 times

Postby sandman » Thu May 31, 2018 10:43

Cardinal Tien in Xindian. The obstetrician was brilliant and he can do ballroom dancing. He has inordinately small feet, though. I noticed that. He guided us impeccably through the pregnancy and did a c-section himself when the time came (it was necessary, not elective). Now his work is a 9-year-old monster who is in dire need of a haircut. Ah, well. Congratulations, though.
sandman
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 317 times
Has gotten kudos: 845 times

Postby maoman » Thu May 31, 2018 11:30

Charlotte wrote:I am 5 weeks pregnant and I know the basic things of having to go to the doctor etc. Except I know we need to choose our own here. Back home we wouldn’t get the choice so much so I am overwhelmed with where to choose. These posts seemed to be a little out dated & not so specific with names. If any advice on which hospital is good, I would appreciate it so much. I’m feeling a little lost.

What’s the procedure of pregnancy in Taiwan? When’s the first scan and how often must you visit?

Welcome! My youngest was born almost 9 years ago, and more and more people are looking to FB for instant info, but I'll chime in with my thoughts. First of all, the poster known as Angie is an invaluable resource. She's been a doula to scores of expat women here in Taiwan, so there's nothing new under the sun for her. I suggest giving her a PM. She'll be able to give you the complete rundown.

WRT which hospital, it's good to choose one close to your place of residence, so when the time comes, you won't have to travel to far. We chose a fairly new hospital in the Donghu area (Kangning Hospital), which was quiet and peaceful - it wasn't a busy hospital at all, so we felt we always had our doctors' and nurses full attention, which was kind of nice.
Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle.
maoman  Anthony van Dyck
Admin

Has given kudos: 1845 times
Has gotten kudos: 1336 times
Display Name: Anthony van Dyck

Return to Pregnancy & Childbirth