A financial stock-taking: 2018 compared to 2008

Taiwan Forums at Taiwanease can make your life in Taiwan easier.

Moderator: ThreadKiller

A financial stock-taking: 2018 compared to 2008

Postby John Ross » Fri Jul 20, 2018 21:19

Just wondering how everyone is doing.

I've not gone native and asking what everyone is earning, but just a general testing of the waters.

Earnings: Are you earning more than you did ten years ago? I probably earn about 15% more; fewer teaching hours but more book royalties. Don't teach much these days, but the hourly rate isn't much higher. Proud to say I still have a few of the same students that I had ten years ago (and I charge them the same as I did ten years ago.) Also teaching the younger brothers and sisters of students from a decade past. Nice feeling of continuity and community. Feels good when I'm out on a beer run and students present and past shout out "Laoshi."

Savings: Pitiful but growing.

Money in Home Country terms: This is where it's really hard. While I'm very comfortable here, the mad real estate market back in Auckland has really priced me out of my hometown.
John Ross
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 324 times
Has gotten kudos: 540 times

Re: A financial stock-taking: 2018 compared to 2008

Postby Big Vern » Sat Jul 21, 2018 15:09

Earnings: About the same, but I work fewer hours.

Savings: I didn’t save ten years ago. Now I save about 40k a month.

I’m completely priced out of returning home. Short of a miracle I’m a lifer on the rock.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 556 times
Has gotten kudos: 884 times

Postby cfimages » Sun Jul 22, 2018 09:35

Earnings - on average probably a bit more but it fluctuates. 2008 was my last year in the buxibans (actually early 2009 is when I left), so income was a mix of that and photography. Now it's all photography which makes it more unstable. I've had months where there's no work at all, and months where I've made $250K.

Savings - well there's more in the bank now, but not specifically as savings. Mostly as insurance against those slow months.

Home Country - well Sydney is impossible. The only part I'd consider living in is so over-the-top expensive now that there's no way. Have also heard it's become a lot worse to live because they started building high-rise apartments and the like and it is too crowded. Australia in general, maybe. I do think I'd do a lot better businesswise living there, but it would take a lot to get set up in the right place. I'd probably want to have 6-12 months worth of money at a minimum (in Aust terms) on hand before I'd even consider it. And that would be assuming there's something suitable for my wife, who does very well with work here.
cfimages
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 697 times
Has gotten kudos: 915 times

Postby Corns » Mon Jul 23, 2018 14:26

Earnings: Quite a lot more after I left Taiwan but fondly remember the work in Taiwan (HTC and Taiwan government).Since 2008, I worked for nearly 7 years in government for trade policy in Canada, then did a stint in Saudi, and now work in the South of France in the private sector.

Home market: A loss for us. We sold our places in Taiwan and Vancouver Island. In retrospect, it was really stupid. Could have made a lot of money keeping onto them. Not too worried though. We live frugally and have a lot in savings (and a little family money). Have Canadian, provincial government and French pensions that will put a roof over my head after age 55). Lots of RRSPs in Canada and 2 waterfront properties in Vancouver Island that I will one day inherit (hopefully not for a long time).

As long as I have good wine, food, stir the pot :lol: :grin: , and live and work in an interesting location (and have Netflix), I am cool. :twocents:
Chairman of Overseas Canadians United in Nominating Trump

You're actually a nihilistic sociopath wrapped up in a Canadian flag pretending to be some giant intellect tapping away from a southern French shed.---Broonale
Corns
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 129 times
Has gotten kudos: 215 times

Postby jimipresley » Mon Jul 23, 2018 20:19

I don't even want to THINK about my finances, let alone talk about them.
Do you ever listen to yourself? - maoman

How clever of you to take an orange and a dog biscuit and build a time machine. - Bunks

Some countries cultivate vast populations of idiots for the purpose of maintaining sham democracies. - Toad
jimipresley
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 2527 times
Has gotten kudos: 1552 times

Postby Kal El » Mon Jul 23, 2018 21:27

You guys are a hoot. :thumbsup:
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Heathen filth, the lot of you.
Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 1206 times
Has gotten kudos: 1145 times

Postby Big Vern » Tue Jul 24, 2018 00:40

jimipresley wrote:I don't even want to THINK about my finances, let alone talk about them.

If you're not in debt then you're a lot better off than many people. One of the advantages of being an asset-free foreigner in Taiwan is nobody will lend to us, apart from those chaps with red teeth and tattoos.

These users gave kudos to the author Big Vern for the post:
Kal El (Tue Jul 24, 2018 07:24)
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Postby maoman » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:26

John Ross wrote:Just wondering how everyone is doing.

I've not gone native and asking what everyone is earning, but just a general testing of the waters.

Earnings: Are you earning more than you did ten years ago? I probably earn about 15% more; fewer teaching hours but more book royalties. Don't teach much these days, but the hourly rate isn't much higher. Proud to say I still have a few of the same students that I had ten years ago (and I charge them the same as I did ten years ago.) Also teaching the younger brothers and sisters of students from a decade past. Nice feeling of continuity and community. Feels good when I'm out on a beer run and students present and past shout out "Laoshi."

Savings: Pitiful but growing.

Money in Home Country terms: This is where it's really hard. While I'm very comfortable here, the mad real estate market back in Auckland has really priced me out of my hometown.

Earnings: More than 2008, less than 2016. :-(

Savings: Now that I've started LIFE 2.0, I've got a plan. Hope I can stick to it.

Money in Home Country terms: Maybe some day. Not this year or the next. Or the one after that. :neutral:
Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle.
maoman  Anthony van Dyck
Admin

Has given kudos: 1842 times
Has gotten kudos: 1324 times
Display Name: Anthony van Dyck

Postby Kal El » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:30

maoman wrote:Savings: Now that I've started LIFE 2.0, I've got a plan. Hope I can stick to it.

Yeah, I'm with you there. Looking for a home to buy and saving as much as possible in order to pay as little as possible on the mortgage.
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Postby cranky laowai » Tue Jul 31, 2018 00:25

Earnings: Not significantly but at least incrementally higher.

Savings: Much better but still not added to as regularly as should be.

Money in Home Country terms: Hmm. The Beautiful Country, where I'm vacationing presently, would be more attractive if health insurance is stabilized and affordable. Right now, I still wonder if I could afford to move back -- at least to any part of the country that I would actually LIKE to live in.

Theoretically, as a new TW citizen I may be entitled to a pension. But if the gummit starts counting years worked only at 2018 instead of 1996, that probably won't do me much good regardless. I'll try to figure that out after I return.
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 167 times
Has gotten kudos: 480 times

Postby Kal El » Tue Jul 31, 2018 06:25

After 22 years of your adult life and a newly minted ID card, you might want to start rethinking that "home" country monniker there, mate. :wink:
Sir Winston Churchill

Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量

These users gave kudos to the author Kal El for the post (total 2):
Just Jennifer (Sun Aug 05, 2018 02:57) • cranky laowai (Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:11)
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Postby cranky laowai » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:11

Kal El wrote:After 22 years of your adult life and a newly minted ID card, you might want to start rethinking that "home" country monniker there, mate. :wink:

:oops: :orz:

This is going to take some getting used to. :lol:

These users gave kudos to the author cranky laowai for the post:
Just Jennifer (Sun Aug 05, 2018 02:57)
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 167 times
Has gotten kudos: 480 times

Postby HeadhonchoII » Wed Aug 01, 2018 22:13

Income now is much much better than 2008. In fact it may be as good as I ever get in Taiwan in a job ,realistically.

In between had a lot of highs and lows. Had a decent income, bunch of savings, lost job , burnt through the savings , decent income, some semi decent savings again (depending on how my dodgy investments are doing at the time).

For the first ten years in Taiwan I had literally no savings.
Taiwan isn't an easy place to earn piles of money.

No shit Sherlock !

It's easier to hold onto the money once you've earned it though (low taxes, low cost of living).

I've got the local pension too, I'm pretty sure they will pay out to all aprcs, long term spouses and new citizens.

As for property, still renting might pull the trigger one day too but no rush as renting is relatively convenient and cheap in Taipei city area at the present.

As for moving to the homeland, it's so expensive now like many other western countries . I just looked at apartments and housing, 3x rent I pay here, pay wouldn't be higher (be lower after tax) and the availability is appalling (getting three apartments in whole suburbs listed, it's hard to believe).
But you got to ask yourself the question....what would astronaut Chris Hatfield do?
HeadhonchoII
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 128 times
Has gotten kudos: 256 times

Postby Big Vern » Wed Aug 01, 2018 22:48

HeadhonchoII wrote:
I've got the local pension too, I'm pretty sure they will pay out to all aprcs, long term spouses and new citizens.

It's not looking bad:

https://www.bli.gov.tw/en/sub.aspx?a=%2BpgUkeNxHR4%3D

https://www.bli.gov.tw/en/sub.aspx?a=BRN3K4zrsCQ%3D

Obviously, all government pension schemes need to be taken with a large pinch of Ponzi.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Postby jimipresley » Wed Aug 01, 2018 23:35

Was utterly destitute yesterday. My tax rebate came through today: 13k. I can survive for another few weeks. I only paid 14k total in taxes. The wife works miracles at the tax offices.

Oi, Big Vern, are you still interested in those ridiculously expensive bottles of whisky that I have?
Do you ever listen to yourself? - maoman

How clever of you to take an orange and a dog biscuit and build a time machine. - Bunks

Some countries cultivate vast populations of idiots for the purpose of maintaining sham democracies. - Toad
jimipresley
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 2527 times
Has gotten kudos: 1552 times

Next

Return to Living in Taiwan