Pick the new KMT mascot!

Politics in Taiwan is lively and often a good spectator sport. Please make sure that the schoolboy shenanigans stay in the Legislative Assembly and not in the forums here at Taiwaneasia, ok? The moderators thank you in advance for your cooperation!

Select the number of the image for your desired KMT mascot

No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
100%
No votes
No votes

Total votes : 6

Pick the new KMT mascot!

Postby cranky laowai » Sat Aug 04, 2018 21:02

The Kuomintang is asking people to help it decide which of ten short-listed entries below should be its new mascot. Yes, really.

What should it be, folks? Which of the following best represents the spirit of the KMT?

Bonus points to anyone who can explain no. 8.

1, 2

3, 4

5, 6

7. 8

9, 10
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 171 times
Has gotten kudos: 499 times

Re: Pick the new KMT mascot!

Postby Kal El » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:32

If this is real they're really a bunch of knobs. "Lean in Together"? Yeah, we know what you're getting at.
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Heathen filth, the lot of you.
Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 1215 times
Has gotten kudos: 1154 times

Postby sandman » Sun Aug 05, 2018 13:02

God ALMIGHTY! Yes, I know they are nothing more than little children, but... SERIOUSLY? This is a new low, even for them.
And number 8 is easy peasy. A shaved chicken with its eyes blissfully shut, nurturing a gut-eating parasite in its tummy. Priceless. :lol: :lol: :lol:

These users gave kudos to the author sandman for the post:
maoman (Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:54)
sandman
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 317 times
Has gotten kudos: 845 times

Postby Toad » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:35

sandman wrote:God ALMIGHTY! Yes, I know they are nothing more than little children, but... SERIOUSLY? This is a new low, even for them.
And number 8 is easy peasy. A shaved chicken with its eyes blissfully shut, nurturing a gut-eating parasite in its tummy. Priceless. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Whoever came up with that one was getting towards the bottom of his bottle of Kavalan, I reckon.

Can I suggest none of the above, and propose a Taiwan Bear asleep at the wheel of a knackered Nissan taxi?
Toad
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 1004 times
Has gotten kudos: 710 times

Postby cranky laowai » Mon Aug 06, 2018 15:58

Toad wrote:Can I suggest none of the above, and propose a Taiwan Bear asleep at the wheel of a knackered Nissan taxi?

Careful now. Those who mess with the Mona Lisa of bear mascots do so at their peril.

These users gave kudos to the author cranky laowai for the post:
Toad (Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:28)
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Postby Kal El » Mon Aug 06, 2018 19:44

cranky laowai wrote:
Toad wrote:Can I suggest none of the above, and propose a Taiwan Bear asleep at the wheel of a knackered Nissan taxi?

Careful now. Those who mess with the Mona Lisa of bear mascots do so at their peril.

They don't deserve a Taiwanese Bear. They can show their true colours and get a fecking panda.
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Heathen filth, the lot of you.
Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量

These users gave kudos to the author Kal El for the post (total 2):
Toad (Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:28) • Icon (Mon Aug 06, 2018 22:12)
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 1215 times
Has gotten kudos: 1154 times

Postby Icon » Mon Aug 06, 2018 22:14

Well the KMT candidate for Taipei city mayor presented himself today at a press conference as «that lovely British cartoon, Bob the builder», tool belt and all. No hard hat, though, that I could see.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else
Icon
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 603 times
Has gotten kudos: 856 times

Postby Toad » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:29

Icon wrote:Well the KMT candidate for Taipei city mayor presented himself today at a press conference as «that lovely British cartoon, Bob the builder», tool belt and all.

Cultural appropriation!

No hard hat, though, that I could see.

Chabuduo.
Toad
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Postby cranky laowai » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:40

KMT mayoral candidate Bob the Builder Ding Shou-zhong (Ting Shou-chung) unveils his new "Screw you, Taipei" campaign:

I wish I could find that old photo I have of Chen Shui-bian dressed up as Superman / Michael Jackson / etc.

These users gave kudos to the author cranky laowai for the post (total 2):
Dragonbones (Thu Aug 09, 2018 15:26) • Toad (Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:58)
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Postby Icon » Tue Aug 07, 2018 22:06

Number 8 is winning.

No comments.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else
Icon
Taiwanease Deity

Postby cranky laowai » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:32

cranky laowai wrote:I wish I could find that old photo I have of Chen Shui-bian dressed up as Superman / Michael Jackson / etc.

Ooh! Found it!

It was a simpler, weirder time....

These users gave kudos to the author cranky laowai for the post (total 5):
Big Vern (Sun Aug 12, 2018 19:09) • Icon (Fri Aug 10, 2018 21:11) • maoman (Fri Aug 10, 2018 08:25) • Kal El (Fri Aug 10, 2018 07:28) • Toad (Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:26)
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Postby cranky laowai » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:26

The chicken is running strong:

KMT defends ‘chicken man’ contest design

[...] The “chicken” mascot design received attention from the moment the department launched the Facebook poll on Monday. As of press time last night, it had received more than 16,000 likes and been shared 3,200 times, compared with only hundreds of likes and dozens of shares for the other designs....

Some netizens said they believed that the “blue worm” is a direct reference to the demeaning nickname “blue maggot” (藍蛆) that some critics have used for KMT supporters, while others said that it was designed to insinuate that the KMT is a “parasite.”

Defending Wu’s design, department director Weng Shao-hui (翁紹輝) yesterday said that the designer is 18 years old and feels misunderstood by the public.

“That is absolutely not a blue maggot,” Weng said when asked whether he agreed with netizens’ interpretations of the mascot’s design....

Weng said the “chicken” mascot’s popularity has its merits, given that some of the party’s candidates in the Nov. 24 local elections have approached Wu to ask for authorization to turn her design into a life-size cardboard cutout, including KMT Taichung mayoral candidate Lu Shiow-yen (盧秀燕).

In a video published online on Friday by the Chinese-language China Times, Wu said she chose the design because it has more potential to be funny and quirky than animals that are traditionally considered adorable, such as bears.

As for the “blue worm,” Wu said she wanted to combine elements of a chicken and a human being, so she decided to draw a human figure with blue curly hair, as blue represents the KMT.
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Postby Toad » Sun Aug 12, 2018 15:39

“That is absolutely not a blue maggot,” Weng said when asked whether he agreed with netizens’ interpretations of the mascot’s design.

Suuure. So WTF is it then?

As for the “blue worm,” Wu said she wanted to combine elements of a chicken and a human being, so she decided to draw a human figure with blue curly hair, as blue represents the KMT.

So why is the blue hair on the, um, maggot, rather than on the head of the chicken-man?

All sounds a bit threadbare to me.
Toad
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Postby Icon » Sun Aug 12, 2018 23:53

Finally got it: the chicken represents Taiwan And the blue maggot...Well, the blues.
Icon
Taiwanease Deity

Postby sandman » Mon Aug 13, 2018 13:29

Come on! The child is 18 years old. That equates to what? 7-and-a-half outside of Taiwan. That's actually pretty damn good for a 2nd-grader.
sandman
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 317 times
Has gotten kudos: 845 times

Next

Return to Taiwan Politics