Staying the night in Gatwick

Staying the night in Gatwick

Postby Icon » Mon Oct 22, 2018 22:59

Sigh

That lovely time of the year to plan to go home. I am really partial to the London route for the low fare, and romantic notions about flying British Airways.

Anyways, I would get to Gatwick at 1 pm or so ....And my next flight is the next day at 8 am. Is Gatwick an empty garage in the middle of nowhere? I'd be delighted to have a British breakfast, that is all I ask.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else
Icon
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 601 times
Has gotten kudos: 856 times

Re: Staying the night in Gatwick

Postby Corns » Tue Oct 23, 2018 18:40

Icon wrote:Sigh

That lovely time of the year to plan to go home. I am really partial to the London route for the low fare, and romantic notions about flying British Airways.

Anyways, I would get to Gatwick at 1 pm or so ....And my next flight is the next day at 8 am. Is Gatwick an empty garage in the middle of nowhere? I'd be delighted to have a British breakfast, that is all I ask.

You can take the Gatwick Express right from the Airport for about 30 or 40 quid return if you want to go into the City and get a hotel. Gatwick is about 30 to 40 mins outside in a rather rural area. There are hotels inside Gatwick if you just want to just chillax and order room service. :lol:
You're actually a nihilistic sociopath wrapped up in a Canadian flag pretending to be some giant intellect tapping away from a southern French shed.---Broonale

These users gave kudos to the author Corns for the post (total 2):
Just Jennifer (Wed Oct 24, 2018 03:17) • Toad (Tue Oct 23, 2018 19:55)
Corns
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 130 times
Has gotten kudos: 217 times

Postby Big Vern » Tue Oct 23, 2018 19:27

As Corns said, airport hotel is probably best. Not much to do in Crawley. Chartwell isn't too far away and that's of interest. Might be too much of a hassle, though.

By the way, my experiences with BA have been far from positive.

These users gave kudos to the author Big Vern for the post:
Toad (Tue Oct 23, 2018 19:55)
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 562 times
Has gotten kudos: 892 times

Postby Corns » Tue Oct 23, 2018 19:35

Big Vern wrote:As Corns said, airport hotel is probably best. Not much to do in Crawley. Chartwell isn't too far away and that's of interest. Might be too much of a hassle, though.

By the way, my experiences with BA have been far from positive.

I was shocked at recent travel on BA (I have a credit card with KLM/Air France, so I don`t go with them often) for a European flight.

I have travelled with them business class on trans Atlantic flights before and was generally satisfied (although prefer Middle East or Asian carriers).

For local flights in economy class (1 to 2 hour flights), they have very limited offerings (as like only tea or pop unless you want to pay). I would not take them again on my own coin. :twocents:
You're actually a nihilistic sociopath wrapped up in a Canadian flag pretending to be some giant intellect tapping away from a southern French shed.---Broonale
Corns
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 130 times
Has gotten kudos: 217 times

Postby Toad » Tue Oct 23, 2018 20:10

Icon wrote:Is Gatwick an empty garage in the middle of nowhere?

At 1pm you should be OK regarding transport out of Gatwick, but as noted there isn't really anywhere to go to.

Holiday Inn do a surprisingly good breakfast buffet. There's one just outside Gatwick. That's a long stopover though, so I'd go and get some sleep. There are several hotels and guesthouses nearby - have a look on booking.com. If your luggage is straight-through (ie., you don't have a lot to carry) some are within walking distance.

If you travel more than five times a year I can thoroughly recommend a Priority Pass. The quality of lounges varies a lot - some of them are crap and some of them are really special - but 90% of the time it's a good way to get some snacks and a rest.

BA is shite. Had two bad experiences in Business Class (on one occasion I got my luggage back three months later without even so much as an apology, and when there was some sort of strike we got a banana and a sandwich instead of proper meals). Never flown with them since. Bloody Brits. How are the mighty fallen.
Toad
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 993 times
Has gotten kudos: 709 times

Postby Icon » Wed Oct 24, 2018 00:14

I'll be carrying a lot of luggage. 2 to 3 big suitcases plus hand luggage. Gifts for the family, so they better arrive.

Thank you all for the information. I'll think this over more carefully.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else
Icon
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 601 times
Has gotten kudos: 856 times

Return to International Travel