Star Trek -- Discovery

Books, music, films, movies, TV shows, etc. - this is the place for it! A & E topics related to Taiwan or China should be posted in the Culture & History Forum.

Moderator: ThreadKiller

Star Trek -- Discovery

Postby cranky laowai » Fri Dec 21, 2018 13:54

Star Trek: Discovery has several "Short Treks," which are stories of about 15 minutes each set in the Star Trek: Discovery universe, sometimes with STD -- er, that doesn't seem right -- characters, sometimes not.

I don't recommend approaching these with high expectations, but they're watchable enough. I like "Calypso" the best, though some on the Net would strongly disagree.

"Runaway"
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6uv3a5

"Calypso"
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6wy0it

"The Brightest Star"
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6ykrj9

"The Escape Artist"
(not yet released; but from the brief preview after "The Brightest Star" we can see this will be a Harry Mudd episode)

The series proper resumes on January 17, 2019, with the airing of the first show in Discovery's second season.

These users gave kudos to the author cranky laowai for the post (total 2):
Jaboney (Fri Dec 28, 2018 22:19) • jimipresley (Fri Dec 21, 2018 15:28)
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 180 times
Has gotten kudos: 525 times

Re: Star Trek -- Discovery

Postby jimipresley » Fri Dec 21, 2018 15:28

No much of a Star Trek fan, but I'll give some shorts a go! :thumbsup:
Do you ever listen to yourself? - maoman

How clever of you to take an orange and a dog biscuit and build a time machine. - Bunks

Some countries cultivate vast populations of idiots for the purpose of maintaining sham democracies. - Toad
jimipresley
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 2579 times
Has gotten kudos: 1605 times

Postby cranky laowai » Fri Jan 04, 2019 22:10

The latest and final (for now!) Short Trek is out: "The Escape Artist."

It's more fun than the others: much more old-school Harry Mudd than the character we saw in the main Discovery season. The only version of the file I've seen so far, though, is mirrored and probably not at speed (so it sounds like the characters had a bit of helium). In short: You probably want skip the video in the link below and wait for a better one unless you're a hard-core fan who must see this now:
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x701d6v
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Postby LostInTaipei » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:35

Looks like the Short Treks have shown up on Taiwan Netflix, I assume because Season 2 has just started.

EDIT: Weird. I can see them in Netflix on my iPad and my computer, but not on my TV (through Apple TV). No idea what’s going on with that.
LostInTaipei
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 55 times
Has gotten kudos: 162 times

Postby cranky laowai » Wed Jan 23, 2019 18:16

LostInTaipei wrote: Season 2 has just started.

Thanks for that. I should have remembered: January 17 = 01/17 = 1701, as in NCC-1701.

I like the episode. I just hope they didn't blow their whole f/x budget for the season on it.
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Postby LostInTaipei » Wed Jan 23, 2019 18:36

cranky laowai wrote:
LostInTaipei wrote: Season 2 has just started.

Thanks for that. I should have remembered: January 17 = 01/17 = 1701, as in NCC-1701.

I like the episode. I just hope they didn't blow their whole f/x budget for the season on it.

So far so good. A lot of fan service, some of which I liked, and some I disliked. Liked: "Get your red shirt in a shuttle!" was a fun misdirect; and Pike's pledge that they were going to have some fun, which has got to be a rebuttal to the common criticism that last season was too dark. Didn't like so much: Tilly's usually great, but they overdid her silliness this time. (Still better than Wesley.)

One review I saw said that Pike was like the stepfather who's trying too hard, and that seemed about right. Nothing wrong with that - it makes him a different kind of captain, one who's flawed in a new way.

And then I remembered that in a few years Pike winds up burned so badly that he can no longer move or communicate, and that made me sad. (Um, spoilers from an original series episode of 1967 or so.)

I wonder if the show is going to try to explain the dramatic difference between Shouty-Spock of the Pike-pilot / "The Cage" and the much more controlled one who's on Kirk's bridge.

Back to Short Treks: apparently Michael Chabon (!), who wrote the "Calypso" episode, is involved with the writing for the new Picard show; and the writer for the Harvey Mudd episode (who's also from Rick and Morty?) will be one of the writers for an animated "lower decks" Star Trek series. And I have very mixed feelings about the imminent appearance of multiple treks. Love the franchise, but they overdid it in the late 90s - I don't want them to overdo it again.
LostInTaipei
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 55 times
Has gotten kudos: 162 times

Return to Arts & Entertainment