Mamma Mia -- authentic Italian food in Shulin

Taipei restaurants are some of the best in Asia - visit our forums to find out why (and where!)

Mamma Mia -- authentic Italian food in Shulin

Postby cranky laowai » Mon Dec 31, 2018 20:27

I'd been hearing about Mamma Mia for years but had never visited. I mean: it's in Shulin, of all places. (Shulin is the town next to Banqiao on the rail line.) But finally I went and am very glad I did.

The restaurant is run by a quiet but personable Italian, Vincenzo, who is a long-term expat, and his Taiwanese wife. They make the pasta there themselves.

It's a little less than 10 minutes' walk southwest of the Shulin train station.

The Mandarin version of the menu can be seen in the photos on the Google Maps page for the restaurant (you may need to search for "Mama Mi Ya" rather than "Mamma Mia" to find it). Figure on at least NT$300-NT$400 per person. I think the food is well worth the price.

And they're comfortable making vegetarian and even vegan dishes.

媽媽咪呀義大利餐廳
238新北市樹林區復興路293號
Facebook

Tel.: 2681-6398
closed Mondays
lunch: 11:30-2:30
dinner: 5:00-9:00
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 181 times
Has gotten kudos: 528 times

Re: Mamma Mia -- authentic Italian food in Shulin

Postby Big Vern » Tue Jan 01, 2019 01:34

I shall give it a go. However, I am wary at those prices. It's impossible to serve quality food at 300NT a head. I'm sure it's OK, but that's all it's going to be.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 564 times
Has gotten kudos: 916 times

Re: Mamma Mia -- authentic Italian food in Shulin

Postby cranky laowai » Tue Jan 01, 2019 16:07

Coming after an NT$8300 meal at Il Mercato, Mamma Mia may indeed seem anticlimactic. (I can't speak from personal experience on this one.) I don't know if most people would want to make a special trip all the way from Taipei. But if you happen to be in Banqiao, Sanxia, or Yingge, it might well be worth making a stop in Shulin.

Anyway, I'm curious what others think of the food at Mamma Mia.
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 181 times
Has gotten kudos: 528 times

Return to Greater Taipei Restaurants, Bars, and Clubs