Keeping your Ex in touch with your kids

Discuss general parenting topics here - from sleep issues to disciplining your children. We're all "learning as we go", so please join us if you'd like to be part of a larger parenting community.

Moderator: Just Jennifer

Keeping your Ex in touch with your kids

Postby Just Jennifer » Thu Jan 17, 2019 16:39

My kids’ father does not reach out to the kids very much. Today I texted him:

“Reach our to your kids please. It hurts them not to hear from you.”

I can’t believe I have to tell him this.

Guys, if you haven’t been in touch with your kids since your separated from their mother, get in touch! It doesn’t matter how long it has been or what the circumstances were (or are today). Swallow your pride. Make an effort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Make magical, musical memories with your child at Kindermusik with Jennifer Joy
[url]http://www.fb.com/kmjoytaiwan[/url]
Just Jennifer
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 1851 times
Has gotten kudos: 323 times

Re: Keeping your Ex in touch with your kids

Postby SuperS54 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 15:28

Is your ex able to contact your kids without having to go through you as a contact window? If not perhaps putting a path in place will make things easier.
SuperS54
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 48 times
Has gotten kudos: 21 times

Postby Just Jennifer » Sun Jan 27, 2019 22:21

SuperS54 wrote:Is your ex able to contact your kids without having to go through you as a contact window? If not perhaps putting a path in place will make things easier.

Yes. Messenger, LINE, SMS. I try to send him updates and photos once in a while to help him stay connected. He appreciates that I do that (he thanks me) but the kids get upset sometimes that I send those updates. They feel he should reach out to them.

Just Jennifer
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Postby Big Vern » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:08

Just Jennifer wrote:
SuperS54 wrote:Is your ex able to contact your kids without having to go through you as a contact window? If not perhaps putting a path in place will make things easier.

Yes. Messenger, LINE, SMS. I try to send him updates and photos once in a while to help him stay connected. He appreciates that I do that (he thanks me) but the kids get upset sometimes that I send those updates. They feel he should reach out to them.

How do the kids know that you are sending him updates? Presumably you're copying them in. Probably best not to let them know you're doing that if you want to rebuild a relationship between them and their dad.

I can't imagine not keeping in touch with my child if my marriage failed, but people behave in different ways. Does your ex have any substance abuse issues or depression?
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 564 times
Has gotten kudos: 916 times

Postby Just Jennifer » Tue Apr 16, 2019 03:23

Big Vern wrote:
Just Jennifer wrote:

How do the kids know that you are sending him updates? Presumably you're copying them in. Probably best not to let them know you're doing that if you want to rebuild a relationship between them and their dad.

I can't imagine not keeping in touch with my child if my marriage failed, but people behave in different ways. Does your ex have any substance abuse issues or depression?

I’m sorry I never replied to this. I meant to and forgot.

Yes, I have mentioned it: “I sent your dad that picture we took today.”

As for substance abuse/depression, yes (alcohol) and I think so.

Just Jennifer
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Return to Parenting