Good neighborhood restaurants

Taipei restaurants are some of the best in Asia - visit our forums to find out why (and where!)

Good neighborhood restaurants

Postby cranky laowai » Mon Mar 25, 2019 16:35

Not too long ago LostInTaipei mentioned wanting to see a "good list of local restaurants." I'd like that too, because as grateful as I am for Taiwaneasy introducing me to, say, Ed's Diner and some considerably pricier spots, most of the time when I'm wandering about town I'm most interested in not in something foreign per se but just in finding a relatively inexpensive place with decent food.

So here's a thread for the holes in the wall, the simple but good spots -- the ones that aren't a destination in themselves but which have provided good food and are worth stopping at if you're in the neighborhood. They don't have to be Taiwanese fare.
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 177 times
Has gotten kudos: 518 times

Re: Good neighborhood restaurants

Postby cranky laowai » Mon Mar 25, 2019 16:38

I'll start this off with Gōngyuán Xiànbǐng Zhōu (公園餡餅粥), just south of the Yongchun MRT station. Decent Chinese food for not too much money -- a good deal for Xinyi.

Closed Mondays.

cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Postby Dragonbones » Mon Apr 01, 2019 08:28

In Donghu (Neihu) there's a decent budget Thai restaurant in the alley that runs behind Donghu Elementary. The dishes I've had so far were just as good as those at places priced a fair bit more. Examples: padtai 120, green curry chicken 160, shrimp-paste kongxincai 100, rice 10/bowl. $390 for lunch for two, not bad. It opened about 4 months ago.
Address: No. 9號, Lane 72, Kangle Street, Neihu District, Taipei City, 114
Opens 11AM. Phone: 02 2632 8856
Directions: take a bus like 630 that goes to Kangle Ave, jump off when you see 85c coffee on your left, walk down that street 30 meters or so and it's on your right. Or, from Donghu elementary parking, walk east (away from Kangning Rd., toward Kangle and Xizhi) turn left in first alley past the school, walk to the end (=rear of school), turn right, walk about 100 meters and it's on your left before you reach Kangle Ave. and 85c coffee.
“To cook for the pleasure of it, to devote a portion of our leisure to it, is to declare our independence from the corporations seeking to organize our every waking moment into yet another occasion for consumption." --Michael Pollan
Dragonbones
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 540 times
Has gotten kudos: 1062 times

Postby cranky laowai » Mon Apr 01, 2019 13:55

A hidden Thai place in Banqiao, near the Fuzhong MRT station, is here, just off Jieshou Park. It's very much the sort of place someone has to tell you about to even notice, which is a large part of its appeal. Simple and decent (not outstanding) food, but good and very inexpensive ... and so popular with students, so expect to wait for a seat.
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Postby jimipresley » Mon Apr 01, 2019 20:49

Is it OK to post about biandang places? One near me is bloody brilliant and really cheap.

Oh, wait. I don't suppose anyone's interested in Sanchong eateries. :smile:
Do you ever listen to yourself? - maoman

How clever of you to take an orange and a dog biscuit and build a time machine. - Bunks

Some countries cultivate vast populations of idiots for the purpose of maintaining sham democracies. - Toad
jimipresley
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 2570 times
Has gotten kudos: 1599 times

Postby cranky laowai » Tue Apr 02, 2019 13:36

jimipresley wrote:Is it OK to post about biandang places? One near me is bloody brilliant and really cheap.

Oh, wait. I don't suppose anyone's interested in Sanchong eateries. :smile:

Wansui to all great biandang places, I say, and to all the unexpectedly good little shops that we happen upon, wherever they might be.

Here's a cheap and utterly unimpressive looking small place just south of the Kunyang MRT station (blue line): Shanghai Tangbao (上海湯包).

It looks like just another somewhat run-down store (just with a lot more Minions as decorations, for some reason). But it's a step up. For example, it offers what it calls Sesame Mushroom Baozi, which might not sound especially good but which are actually special. They're not a mixture of mushrooms and sesame but basically baozi made to look like mushrooms, with black sesame for coloring. They're really quite artful and were entirely unexpected when I happened upon this restaurant. IIRC, the laoban used to work at the Grand Hotel.

Again, this isn't a go-out-of-your-way place; but if you happen to be in the neighborhood to walk the paths in the mountains near there, you could do a lot worse than this.
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Postby Dragonbones » Wed Apr 03, 2019 08:27

The Thali is a decent Indian restaurant on Donghu Road, Donghu, Neihu. Cheaper than the Tianmu ones.
塔哩印度料理 The Thali Indian Restaurant 114, Taiwan, 台北市內湖區東湖路24-1號, #24-1 Donghu Road.Neihu District.Taipei,
Phone: 02 26305980 Near Brown line Donghu MRT Exit 3. Next to T.K.K Fried chicken. 靠近文湖線東湖站3號出口 頂呱呱隔壁

Pickup and Dine In
Opening Hours
Mon, Wed - Sun
12:00 PM - 02:30 PM, 05:30 PM - 09:30 PM

Delivery
Mon, Wed - Sun
12:00 PM - 02:30 PM, 06:00 PM - 09:00 PM
https://thethali.oddle.me/en_TW
“To cook for the pleasure of it, to devote a portion of our leisure to it, is to declare our independence from the corporations seeking to organize our every waking moment into yet another occasion for consumption." --Michael Pollan

These users gave kudos to the author Dragonbones for the post:
maoman (Thu Apr 11, 2019 16:31)
Dragonbones
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Dragonbones » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:42

Another decent one in Donghu for la1mian4 (I like their super garlicky one), just on the east side of the elementary school, halfway down the alley from Donghu Road: No.
鬼匠拉面 Address: No. 10, Lane 119, Donghu Road, Neihu District, Taipei
Hours 11:00 AM - 1:30 PM, 5:00 PM - 9:00 PM
https://www.kueijang.com/2017/07/04/%E6 ... %E5%BA%97/
Phone: 02 2634 7858; Order: foodpanda.com.tw
Dragonbones
Taiwanease Deity

Return to Greater Taipei Restaurants, Bars, and Clubs