What are you watching (TV - 2019)?

Books, music, films, movies, TV shows, etc. - this is the place for it! A & E topics related to Taiwan or China should be posted in the Culture & History Forum.

Moderator: ThreadKiller

What are you watching (TV - 2019)?

Postby Dragonbones » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:07

Dragonbabe just forced me to watch Doctor Who season 10 episode 1 “The Pilot”, and I was very pleasantly surprised. Much better than the clunky stuff my flatmates watched in the early 80's.
“To cook for the pleasure of it, to devote a portion of our leisure to it, is to declare our independence from the corporations seeking to organize our every waking moment into yet another occasion for consumption." --Michael Pollan
Dragonbones
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 543 times
Has gotten kudos: 1062 times

Re: What are you watching (TV - 2019)?

Postby cranky laowai » Mon Apr 08, 2019 16:49

Although Doctor Who seems like it would be my kinda thing (e.g., sci-fi and, separately, British), for some reason I just never got into it.

I'm several weeks behind on Star Trek: Discovery. The story arc is pretty long this season, but I still have faith the writers will resolve things in an interesting way that will make all this season's seeming folderol worthwhile. After all, I was willing to stick out season one through all the tardigrade and mushroom episodes. The "red angel" makes perfect sense compared with some of that. And I'm happy to see Section 31 explored; that was an interesting theme in Deep Space 9.

And of course Game of Thrones starts its final season next week.
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 181 times
Has gotten kudos: 530 times

Postby Dragonbones » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:40

cranky laowai wrote:Although Doctor Who seems like it would be my kinda thing (e.g., sci-fi and, separately, British), for some reason I just never got into it.

Me neither (my college buddies were addicts, but it never interested me). But what seasons did you try? The one I mentioned is very different; you might have a look.
“To cook for the pleasure of it, to devote a portion of our leisure to it, is to declare our independence from the corporations seeking to organize our every waking moment into yet another occasion for consumption." --Michael Pollan
Dragonbones
Taiwanease Deity

Postby cranky laowai » Tue Apr 09, 2019 13:30

Yeah, this would have been way back when -- late 1970s or early 1980. Maybe it was those cheesy daleks that bothered me. OTOH, I thought the gorn episode of Star Trek was cool, so it's not like I can really claim the high ground here.

But now it seems like getting into Doctor Who would be such an investment of time -- we're talking about decades of shows, here :eek: -- that I'm not sure I'm up to it. For that matter, I still haven't seen more than an episode each of The Sopranos, The Wire, or Breaking Bad.
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 181 times
Has gotten kudos: 530 times

Postby jimipresley » Tue Apr 09, 2019 22:40

Do you ever listen to yourself? - maoman

How clever of you to take an orange and a dog biscuit and build a time machine. - Bunks

Some countries cultivate vast populations of idiots for the purpose of maintaining sham democracies. - Toad
jimipresley
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 2580 times
Has gotten kudos: 1606 times

Postby Dragonbones » Wed Apr 10, 2019 07:55

I can do better than that.

I don't watch Game of Thrones. :trio:

(Although, to be honest, I also can't.)
Dragonbones
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Icon » Sun Apr 21, 2019 23:48

Please check out local production in HBO: The World between Us.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else
Icon
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 627 times
Has gotten kudos: 856 times

Return to Arts & Entertainment