From phpbb to .... what? Any preferred options?

Let us know how you feel about Taiwanease and tell us how it could improve. You can also send email to admin (at) taiwaneasy.tw or leave us a message at +886 935-560-995

Moderators: maoman, Moderators

From phpbb to .... what? Any preferred options?

Postby maoman » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:06

Things are moving forward. Next step is to move the forums to something a little less dated. I've seen Discourse at Forumosa, it's not bad. I also like Vanilla. Wordpress has their own forum software as well. Does anyone have any recommendations/preferences?
Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle.
maoman  Anthony van Dyck
Admin

Has given kudos: 1855 times
Has gotten kudos: 1340 times
Display Name: Anthony van Dyck

Re: From phpbb to .... what? Any preferred options?

Postby Dragonbones » Tue Sep 03, 2019 08:53

No idea what's available, but my vote is for the simplest interface, but one where the meaning of each icon is clear, whether through design or a popup explanation if you hover over it. And it's nice to have pull-down menus with options visible rather than having to already know what to do. Also, whatever makes it easier to load images would be nice. It's always been a pain to try to find a 3rd-party image hoster, then to try to get the image to show (I failed twice in the last two days here, using two different hosters including Google Photos.)
“To cook for the pleasure of it, to devote a portion of our leisure to it, is to declare our independence from the corporations seeking to organize our every waking moment into yet another occasion for consumption." --Michael Pollan
Dragonbones
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 543 times
Has gotten kudos: 1062 times

Postby cfimages » Tue Sep 03, 2019 08:59

With the relative quietness of the site in general, is it worth putting work into changing the forums? Could time be better served with creating content and attracting more people?
cfimages
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 706 times
Has gotten kudos: 941 times

Postby jimipresley » Tue Sep 03, 2019 18:22

I don't have the foggiest idea about such things. The only ones I've seen are this one and Forumosa's. I'd vote for one where new members are allowed to sign up.
Do you ever listen to yourself? - maoman

How clever of you to take an orange and a dog biscuit and build a time machine. - Bunks

Some countries cultivate vast populations of idiots for the purpose of maintaining sham democracies. - Toad
jimipresley
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 2580 times
Has gotten kudos: 1606 times

Postby maoman » Wed Sep 04, 2019 08:46

cfimages wrote:With the relative quietness of the site in general, is it worth putting work into changing the forums? Could time be better served with creating content and attracting more people?

Sure. But first I have to create a new registration page. And our phpbb needs updating. Except it looks pretty dated already, and our mobile version is really not good, and most people access the internet on mobile, so... :ponder:

I don't want to put out the welcome mat to the general public until we're ready to receive visitors. The first step was recovering our forums. That's been done. Next step was finding a competent web developer. That's also been done. So now to the next!
Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle.

These users gave kudos to the author maoman for the post:
cfimages (Wed Sep 04, 2019 09:08)
maoman  Anthony van Dyck
Admin

Has given kudos: 1855 times
Has gotten kudos: 1340 times
Display Name: Anthony van Dyck

Postby cfimages » Wed Sep 04, 2019 09:08

Thank you, that makes sense.
cfimages
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 706 times
Has gotten kudos: 941 times

Return to Feedback & Announcements