Things in Taiwan that Amaze You

Taiwan Forums at Taiwanease can make your life in Taiwan easier.

Moderator: ThreadKiller

Re: Things in Taiwan that Amaze You

Postby Dr Kurt Langstrom » Wed Nov 07, 2012 09:48

Kal El wrote:
cubewarrior wrote:That people who drive EXACTLY the same route too and from work EVERY morning, on the freeway, need a GPS so they won't get lost...

My SO uses hers in the car, "because it looks pretty." Even when I'm driving. :facepalm:

Well yeah, just the two of you in there, she needs SOMETHING nice to look at.

OH!

I'm here all week.
Try the veal.
Hummel from Alcatraz...out.

That's my secret, Cap.
I'm always angry.

These users gave kudos to the author Dr Kurt Langstrom for the post:
Taffy (Wed Nov 07, 2012 09:54)
Dr Kurt Langstrom
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 124 times
Has gotten kudos: 170 times

Postby Kal El » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:42

Dr Kurt Langstrom wrote:
Kal El wrote:
cubewarrior wrote:That people who drive EXACTLY the same route too and from work EVERY morning, on the freeway, need a GPS so they won't get lost...

My SO uses hers in the car, "because it looks pretty." Even when I'm driving. :facepalm:

Well yeah, just the two of you in there, she needs SOMETHING nice to look at.

OH!

I'm here all week.
Try the veal.

As long as she's got her hand on my leg, it's all good. :wink:
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Heathen filth, the lot of you.
Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 1222 times
Has gotten kudos: 1155 times

Postby Enigma » Wed Nov 07, 2012 15:33

Going out at night on a dark street with no fear, Of course, I'm kinda of a big guy but I sure as hell feel safer here than any metro area in the U.S. I only had 2 incidents in 12 years, and they were both in populated areas. Both walked away to call their friends. Time for a taxi.
My true measure of a man is to what degree he agrees with me. My true measure of a woman is to what degree she disagrees with me.
Enigma
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 29 times
Has gotten kudos: 22 times

Postby jimipresley » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:40

Sometimes I'm gobsmacked by Taiwan. Sure, the drivers are bad and the cha bu duo can get a bit irritating, but the level of honesty here never fails to astound me.

Last night I went to the Carrefour in Taipei city to grab some toiletries. It's not often I can do this, as I'm pretty skint, but I had a little extra cash from work I've been doing on the side.
The place was packed. I mean PACKED! Gadzillions of Korean, Japanese and Chinese tourists stocking up on bulk pao mian.
I bustled my way through the teeming hordes and picked up some deodorant, soap, shaving gel and a bag of ridiculously inexpensive disposable razors. Oh, and some bulk pao mian.
I eventually get to a cashier, narrowly escaping being crushed underfoot. She rings up my stuff, and then stops at the disposable razors. "These are two for the price of one", she says. My head buzzes. There's no way I'm navigating that maelstrom again for a free NT$59 pack of razors. I'm like "Nah, don't worry about it". But she insists. "They're two for the price of one!"
Now, the queue of impatient tourists with their bulk pao mian is building, and starting to seethe. I'm writhing uncomfortably. "It's fine", I say, "I'm not going back to the swarming pits of hell". She's like "No worries, I'll sort it". She whips out her phone and takes a picture of my ultra-cheap bag of disposable razors, and forwards the photo to someone, with a message.
"Go pick them up on your way down."
This takes a few minutes, thus the angry mob behind me are starting to meticulously plan my imminent lynching. Terribly vexed, I hurriedly beat a retreat, and sweating profusely, make it down to the second floor.
As I get there, there's a pimply young student part-time dude waiting for me with my free bag of bargain disposable razors.

That cashier works long hours, in a hectic environment. And she's probably on minimum wage. She didn't have to do that. She could have just rung my sale up and let me get on my merry way, but she insisted! She could even have kept the bonus bag of damn knock-off razors for herself.
But that's anathema to most Taiwanese people.

Another case: My mate ThreadKiller, in a rare state of inebriation, lost his wallet; important cards that are an utter pain in the ass to replace, and a few thousand in cash. A few days later he goes to the 7-Eleven and the cashier hauls it out and gives it to him. Totally intact.
It's a really shitty job, working at the Seven: long hours, minimum wage, on your feet all day. That person could have easily kept what would be a fortune to them, but it didn't even occur to them.

Yeah, Taiwan has its shortcomings, but the good really outweighs the bad.
Oh, and I bought the wrong pao mian. :smile:
Do you ever listen to yourself? - maoman

How clever of you to take an orange and a dog biscuit and build a time machine. - Bunks

Some countries cultivate vast populations of idiots for the purpose of maintaining sham democracies. - Toad

These users gave kudos to the author jimipresley for the post (total 4):
cranky laowai (Mon Jan 14, 2019 13:36) • Kal El (Mon Jan 14, 2019 07:43) • Just Jennifer (Mon Jan 14, 2019 03:55) • Big Vern (Sun Jan 13, 2019 18:16)
jimipresley
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 2545 times
Has gotten kudos: 1586 times

Previous

Return to Living in Taiwan