Whale-watching in Taiwan

Whale-watching in Taiwan

Postby maoman » Wed Sep 11, 2013 17:06

What are the best places for this? I did a trip in Hualian years ago, but it was the day before a typhoon, so the seas were very rough and we didn't see anything. (We did get a voucher to try again on another day, but we never used it.) Are there any boat tours operating out of Yilan? Anyway, one of my co-workers was asking about this, so I figured I'd ask here. Any personal experiences or knowledge of specific companies would be welcome.
Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle.
maoman  Anthony van Dyck
Admin

Has given kudos: 1852 times
Has gotten kudos: 1339 times
Display Name: Anthony van Dyck

Re: Whale-watching in Taiwan

Postby cranky laowai » Wed Sep 11, 2013 17:24

Perhaps ten years ago I took a dolphin-watching boat tour from somewhere around Yilan ... and saw precisely zero dolphins (unlike the people on the first tour of the day, who saw many). At least I got to see some flying fish and Turtle Island from up close.

There are probably whale-watching excursions from Yilan as well.
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 180 times
Has gotten kudos: 526 times

Postby sandman » Wed Sep 11, 2013 17:54

Sean McCormack has some really stunning dolphin shots on his FB page. He was out around Turtle Island.
sandman
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 317 times
Has gotten kudos: 845 times

Postby HeadhonchoII » Wed Sep 11, 2013 17:59

We also did the trip out of Suao(?) to the Turtle Island area, also saw diddley squat in terms of dolphins or whales as we went out a bit early in the season. It seems pretty hit or miss.
But you got to ask yourself the question....what would astronaut Chris Hatfield do?
HeadhonchoII
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 128 times
Has gotten kudos: 256 times

Postby zender » Wed Sep 11, 2013 18:59

We did a "whale-watching" trip out of Hualian about five years ago and briefly saw the top of one whale. Minutes later we joined a boat that was parked in the middle of a huge pod of spinner dolphins. We just sat there for about an hour as hundreds of dolphins jumped all around us. Before we went on the trip, we were taken to a little museum/classroom that explained all the animals that we might see. That trip was about NT800 and was worth it.

Then about three years ago, my wife and kids went on a dophin-watching tour out of Yilan. The sea was rough and all they saw was vomit. They were given a ticket good for a year to do it again, but no one seemed interested.
zender
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 44 times
Has gotten kudos: 57 times

Postby Elegua » Wed Sep 11, 2013 20:22

I've seen two whales breach from shore and often run into pink dolphins on the west coast. Every once in a while a sea turtle.
Vida de Otário

....and distinguished nothing except a single green light, minute and far away, that might have been the end of a dock.
Elegua
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 82 times
Has gotten kudos: 266 times

Return to Travel in Taiwan