Why Americans Hate Atheists

From Protestants to Pastafarians, from Mormons to Muslims, spirituality is as old as man, and so is discussing religion.

Moderator: Fortigurn

Re: Why Americans Hate Atheists

Postby jimipresley » Sun Feb 26, 2017 09:40

flike wrote:
The NC guy shot off an AR15 in the restaurant, not an assault rifle. It's a crucial distinction.


Straw man. :thumbsup:
Do you ever listen to yourself? - maoman

How clever of you to take an orange and a dog biscuit and build a time machine. - Bunks

Some countries cultivate vast populations of idiots for the purpose of maintaining sham democracies. - Toad
User avatar
jimipresley
Taiwanease Deity
 
Posts: 5556
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 23:34
Location: Picturesque, idyllic Sanchong.
Has given kudos: 2580 times
Has gotten kudos: 1606 times

Re: Why Americans Hate Atheists

Postby flike » Sun Feb 26, 2017 09:46

jimipresley wrote:
flike wrote:
The NC guy shot off an AR15 in the restaurant, not an assault rifle. It's a crucial distinction.


Straw man. :thumbsup:

Nope. You're trying to make a point about fake news, or propaganda.

I pointed out that the link you pointed me to is itself fake, or propaganda. Also saved everybody some time, amigo. :thumbsup:
flike
Taiwanease Gentry
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 20:33
Has given kudos: 104 times
Has gotten kudos: 57 times

Re: Why Americans Hate Atheists

Postby maoman » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:07

flike wrote:
jimipresley wrote:
Kal El wrote:I don't get why they don't just vote for a gorgeous woman, like the Italians and French seem to do with some regularity (although still not for president). We have to look at this damn schmo for 8 years. Imagine if we had to look at Trump for 8 years.

I was looking to post something about fake news, and this ironic gem from Kal El came up. :smile:

Anyway, an interesting article about why conservative Christians enjoy fake news so much:

http://religiondispatches.org/the-relig ... ive-facts/

Not sure how your article ended, and unfortunately I have no idea how fake news was discussed there. I stopped reading after "assault rifle". You too should stop. Odds are good that anything that follows will be fatally flawed if you're searching for non-fake information.

The NC guy shot off an AR15 in the restaurant, not an assault rifle. It's a crucial distinction.

If you value your life's time on this world, here's a pro tip. Any article where the use of an assault rifle is reported, but the rifle is subsequently identified as an AR15, you can skip it. You'll save a sh*tload of your life's minutes avoiding what comes next since it won't be honest (it can't be honest, an AR15 is not an assault rifle unless it becomes an M4 or something likewise capable of fully automatic fire).

Image
Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle.
maoman  Anthony van Dyck
Admin
 
Posts: 5672
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:41
Location: Taipei
Has given kudos: 1854 times
Has gotten kudos: 1340 times
Display Name: Anthony van Dyck

Re: Why Americans Hate Atheists

Postby TainanCowboy » Fri Mar 03, 2017 19:07

Point of Fact:
The everyday AR-15 used in this incident was NOT a "selective fire " weapon. While it was a "infamous Black Rifle" it was not an "assault rifle."
A selective fire weapon means it can be fired in single-shot or multiple shots when the trigger is "pulled". The selective fire model, which can be used in a multiple shot mode of operation, requires a Class 3 Federal Firearms permit.
Another fact - most selective fire AR-15s are single shot or 3 shot burst weapons. Which require a Class 3 License.

Saying this weapon was an Armalite AR-15 and not showing proof that it is a selective fire Class 3 weapon renders the argument useless and is a sad display of fake information.

The Armalite AR-15 is the parent of a variety of AR-15 variants.
###
The Colt ArmaLite AR-15 was discontinued with the adoption of the M16 rifle in 1964. Most ArmaLite AR-15 rifles in U.S. service have long ago been upgraded to M16 configuration. The Armalite AR-15 was also used by the United States Secret Service and other U.S. federal law enforcement agencies. Shortly after the United States military adopted the M16 rifle, Colt trademarked the name "AR-15" and has since used it to market its semi-automatic only Colt AR-15 brand of civilian rifles.

from WikiWacki - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ArmaLite_AR-15


According to a federal agent's affidavit, Welch went into the Comet Ping Pong restaurant December 4 armed with a loaded AR-15 assault-style rifle and carrying a loaded .38-caliber revolver.
from - https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/201 ... za-parlor/


To make things easy (for those who are easily fooled)

Image
The facts expressed here belong to everybody. The opinions are mine.
I don’t post political comments or articles to convince those who disagree with me,
I post them so that those who might agree with such positions will know they are not alone.
Some things are opinions and can be argued - some things are facts and cannot.
Proverbs, Chapter 16 verse 9 <--- When in doubt, remember this.
TainanCowboy
Taiwanease Royalty
 
Posts: 3803
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 14:44
Location: Tainan - The Original Taiwan
Has given kudos: 793 times
Has gotten kudos: 489 times

Previous

Return to Religion & Spirituality