Korrnell Academy in Xinzhu (康乃薾雙語中小學)

Teaching English is a very common job for foreigners in Taiwan. Whether you want to share your experiences as a teacher in Taiwan or learn from the experiences of others, this is the right place for you!

Korrnell Academy in Xinzhu (康乃薾雙語中小學)

Postby maoman » Sat Jan 28, 2012 14:27

Kornell's information can be found here, but does anyone have any experiences working here? Please post your tales of joy and/or woe! :smile:

Just saw this on their web page: :facepalm:
Image[/img]

Boys and Girls will be Champious, Sharing, and Virtious. :lol:
Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle.
maoman  Anthony van Dyck
Admin

Has given kudos: 1851 times
Has gotten kudos: 1336 times
Display Name: Anthony van Dyck

Re: Korrnell Academy in Xinzhu (康乃薾雙語中小學)

Postby Enigma » Sat Jan 28, 2012 14:52

No tales to tell but my first impression is that they should be able to get the heading of their advertisement done with correct English grammar and punctuation. I know we don't worry about it much on here but this is a business trying to attract students. Big difference.
My true measure of a man is to what degree he agrees with me. My true measure of a woman is to what degree she disagrees with me.
Enigma
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 29 times
Has gotten kudos: 22 times

Postby Enigma » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:32

A response from an inquiry I made:
Korrnell? Yes I knew two Canadian guys who worked for them when they first came to Taiwan 10 years or more ago. 1 of them really liked it, 1 of them left after 6 months on bad terms. They wouldn't offer me a job because I don't have a N American accent which I thought was rather small-minded of them. I have heard they pay fairly well and are regarded as one of the more serious adult bushibans in town. This info is way out of date tho.
My true measure of a man is to what degree he agrees with me. My true measure of a woman is to what degree she disagrees with me.
Enigma
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 29 times
Has gotten kudos: 22 times

Postby sarah222 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 02:39

is anyone going to teach at Korrnell Academy? I am nervous now reading all of these bad reviews online.
sarah222
1st post! Welcome to Taiwanease!

Has given kudos: 0 time
Has gotten kudos: 0 time

Postby infrared_dwarf » Wed Apr 24, 2013 22:03

Chalk one comment up for staying away. I worked for 1 1/2 years. I got sick of the pedantic management style (yes, even for foreign teachers) which required things like weekly marking checks (they tried a bi-weekly check, and claimed you'd get a bonus for good marks - guess how that worked out!), surprise/out of contract field trips that came back late (helloooooooo, Taipei Flora expo!), monthly weekend work, and some of the unhappiest Taiwanese co-workers you can imagine, knowing they get paid half as much and work twice as hard. They once told me I didn't "utilize the chalkboard enough" - haha, consider that their educational technology. I was also once yelled at for not using a red pen. Another time, I was told I was using the school books too much. Then told the opposite later.

Now, almost all of the above things aren't that bad if your boss is good. Thing is, these people know nothing about education, don't care about what works in education, and are too pig-headed to do anything constructive. THEN they tell you how to do your job after pandering and trying to claim you're a "professional teacher, so follow our rules/respect us!"

Oh, keep in mind 80% of their Chinese teachers left last year.

I quit after they avoided paying me $7,000 NT on a paycheck. It was after a pre-determined holiday I told them I'd take unpaid at the beginning of last contract (I still kick myself for re-signing in the first place when I could've started year 2 in Taiwan in the public schools) - they took off 30,000 NT when it should've been 23k.

tl;dr: the management is so into the for-profit education model that they have no idea what they're doing and I feel quite embarrassed for the school as a whole, knowing how much parents pay.

These users gave kudos to the author infrared_dwarf for the post:
maoman (Wed Apr 24, 2013 22:57)
infrared_dwarf
Learning the ropes

Has gotten kudos: 1 time

Postby mundyj » Tue Jun 24, 2014 14:13

Korrnell Academy to me, has become synonymous with such word as: hope, ambition, dream, confidence, and achievement for educators and students. Far from being fragile, these words are representative of my involvement with this school. I have been working here at Korrnell Elementary for the past two years, and what an experience it has been. The educators are supported by a highly qualified administrative team that supports the goals of their teachers.

Korrnell Academy is an elite institute of education that is well regarded in the community. The school has a science laboratory with lab equipment, three computer labs, a state of the art projector, computers in every classroom, and a strong supporting cast of teachers. Overall, my experience working here have been great. I would highly recommend this school over others in the area because it pays well, there are excellent benefits, and a high salary.

The subsidized housing is superb! The schools provides a smooth transition for newly arriving teachers to get their bearings. It comes complete with a comfortable bed and toilet, a clean restroom, a balcony with a beautiful view of Zhubei City, modern style furniture, an elevator to make moving in easy, convenient location, high-speed internet, a flat screen tv with cable, a kitchen with electric appliances, and a 24-hour security guard. But let's not get sidetracked, you will be spending more time at school then your lovely accommodation.
mundyj
Learning the ropes

Postby Big Vern » Tue Jun 24, 2014 14:26

Do you think we're synonomous with such word as gullible? Nice try, though :bravo:
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 564 times
Has gotten kudos: 911 times

Postby Bunks » Tue Jun 24, 2014 14:49

Big Vern wrote:Do you think we're synonomous with such word as gullible? Nice try, though :bravo:

They've posted the exact same spam three times on forumosa.com in the last half hour.

Probably someone been paid to do a search and just post in any thread anywhere about the company. The clean toilets sound nice.
Bunks
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 202 times
Has gotten kudos: 338 times

Postby mundyj » Tue Jun 24, 2014 15:06

It is not SPAM if it is the truth. Considering all posts made by myself are true. So please keep your negative comments to yourself.
mundyj
Learning the ropes

Postby Big Vern » Tue Jun 24, 2014 15:08

Bunks wrote: The clean toilets sound nice.

It's certainly sold it for me.

Outstanding English, mundyj. However, you still need to get a native speaker to give it a once over when you're dealing with a bunch of cynical old gits like us lot :lol:
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Big Vern » Tue Jun 24, 2014 15:11

mundyj wrote:It is not SPAM if it is the truth. Considering all posts made by myself are true. So please keep your negative comments to yourself.

Spam doesn't have to be untrue. It's your opinion and that's cool. You wish to advertise how excellent the school you work at is for the benefit of others. I apologise for doubting your motives. It's refreshing to see a bit of altruism round these parts - we don't get much of it :bow:
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Bunks » Tue Jun 24, 2014 15:22

mundyj wrote:It is not SPAM if it is the truth. Considering all posts made by myself are true. So please keep your negative comments to yourself.

One definition of SPAM is flooding the internet with many copies of the same message. You have posted the same message four times in 15 minutes on two sites. You have not engaged with any posts about Kornell/Cornell, you have simply posted what is a borderline advert for the school anywhere you can find the word Kornell via a serach engine.

Now, can you find those 3 pluralisation errors and that spelling mistake?
Bunks
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 202 times
Has gotten kudos: 338 times

Postby sandman » Tue Jun 24, 2014 17:05

But let's not get sidetracked, you will be spending more time at school then your lovely accommodation.

Holy Schmoley! You're SERIOUS about this part? Exactly HOW many hours per day are you expecting people to work there? Other than that, yes, a peaceful dump without a tub of stinky toilet paper beside the bowl is nice, but really, hardly worthy of note in a job advertisement. You should show these posts of yours to your boss, and perhaps advise him that he needs to do a tad tiny bit more in terms of PR. :wink: You are definitely doing him no favours!
sandman
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 317 times
Has gotten kudos: 845 times

Postby infrared_dwarf » Tue Jun 24, 2014 20:40

sandman wrote:
But let's not get sidetracked, you will be spending more time at school then your lovely accommodation.

Holy Schmoley! You're SERIOUS about this part? Exactly HOW many hours per day are you expecting people to work there? Other than that, yes, a peaceful dump without a tub of stinky toilet paper beside the bowl is nice, but really, hardly worthy of note in a job advertisement. You should show these posts of yours to your boss, and perhaps advise him that he needs to do a tad tiny bit more in terms of PR. :wink: You are definitely doing him no favours!

When the school's food gives you laduzi, at least you'll have a toilet! (Seriously, their food is TERRIBLE. GO TO 7-11 (which is against the rules, they don't let teachers off campus officially) IF YOU EVER WORK THERE. IT'S NOT WORTH THE SLIMY STOOL.
infrared_dwarf
Learning the ropes

Has gotten kudos: 1 time

Postby Big Vern » Wed Jun 25, 2014 09:49

It's just a bog standard bilingual school, isn't it? A stepping stone to better things. I had a brief stint in a similar place. Lasted 5 months before I walked to protect my sanity.

I doubt they'll ever have trouble finding fresh meat in the current marketplace even with the negative reviews from former teachers, so there's no need for them to mount an online defence. All the places like that where I live fill positions with no trouble. Standards aren't high (one of them took me :lol: ), but they always find a warm body suitable for marketing purposes.

As a bit of balance I saw this elsewhere:

"For every horror story I've heard about a school I probably have 5 about boozing, drug addicted, lazy, and unprofessional teachers who make it easy to think less of us as a whole."

In the bilingual school game that is a slightly exaggerated, but generally accurate, viewpoint.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Next

Return to Teaching English in Taiwan